• Possibly 8th

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The yeo/kelly/reid combo in the middle doesnt work as all three go for the ball. Its clunky at best.

Kelly needs to be played as a HFF that pushes up rather than being played in the middle.

Duggan can go in the middle as a defensive mid.
Its all ive wanted all year. Duggan seemed to only get sent in there earlier in the season when we were getting smashed to do a defensive role. Just do it all game smh
Maybe we could get away with it if we had a winning hitout ruckman, the ball just freely goes out the back of stoppage way too often.

If we dont get a Graham type in the offseason I want Duggan in there doing 80% CBAs every week next year as our #1 guy. Rotate in whichever of Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Hewett alongside Duggan

If we don't got a decent ruck it will be the same as this year ...or Flynn has to improve
A big part of the issues were lack of defensive accountability. That can be fixed by not going into games expecting Reid, Yeo and Kelly to be at every centre bounce.

Teams can manage with a weaker ruck, they do it all the time. They just need the right players and mindset around the ball to not let the opposition get free run out of stoppages once they get it.

Duggan in there full time is a start, another defensive player in there would be nice too though

Sacked coach, went back to basics, got a couple of lucky wins and then got destroyed by a very undermanned Carlton for the same reason the club has lost most games for the past 3 years.

We don't win enough of the ball, we don't use it well enough, we don't have the required extractors in the middle to allow Kelly to play his preferred position, we don't use the ball well enough from defence and provide run and carry.

A few games end of this year have felt great but go back and watch closely. Discounting rushed behinds we kicked 15.1 against gold coast and against North their last 5 minutes of setups were as close to tanking as can be seen without actually calling it out and the club just inched over the line. Albeit without umpire assistance unlike North playing against us earlier in the year when they get dragged over the line by the umpires.

Reeks of a dead cat bounce. We have had 2 younger players have good years in Reid and Hough. Reid has tired as the year has gone on, which is hugely expected. The clubs other senior players when out there have played about as well as they can. Gov if everything was equal should be AA at CHB with Wilkie AA FB. Waterman most improved player in league and Allen looking to get back into form.

Club has no mid aged players looking to start their peak or even if some outperform expectations it won't be above the expected drop off in output of current senior players. Also likely to lose at least 1 and maybe 2 senior best 22 players in trade.

This is the end of year dead cat bounce very similar (but to a much lower level) to 2009. I expect bottom 2 and to go backwards unless there is serious change and we get extremely lucky on the injury front as well as bringing in mid tier, mid aged players as well as developing youth coming through much quicker than expected.

Richmond senior players looking elsewhere and the club looking for draft picks doesn't see them likely to improve and Melbourne look like imploding.

It is very, very hard to see the club performing at a level higher than this year with a midfield that gets obliterated in the ruck, will have a year older Kelly and Yeo to lead with Duggan as a senior body but dead average and a Developing Harley Reid.

Sheed's foot is having surgery but will never get better. He can barely feel hit foot and has almost no strength through the leg because of it. That's why he's slowed down and his kicking has fallen away. Hewett has major foot issues and to me it's a hard sell on him playing serious game time at a level that improves the midfield, Ginbey isn't a midfielder, is reactionary and is a 50/50 kick. People already know my opinions on Chesser and he needs time in the WAFL to either show he can be a mid or if we can try and make use of him as a small defender with speed. Outside of that there is no depth, there is no players looking to take huge strides forward next year. The other midfield options will either be delisted this year or are busts.

The club needs genuine midfielders who can find the ball with class, elite distributors on the outside from the back all the way to HF, a genuine KPD developing, a genuine ruck developing and at least one high level young small forward. This can't be done in 1 year, the club will be doing incredibly well to get it done in 5. You need a core of 15 AFL level players in their prime and a squad that bats down to 30 at roleplayer level to win a premiership. Who will be left by the time the club is developed enough to challenge to be part of that core 15 that are already on the list? Reid, Hough, a few question marks on younger players and then.... Nothing. Guys like Long, Johnston, Dewar, Jack Williams etc may well make it and be around but they look like those 15-30 on a list role players, not the core of a strong side.

I thought 2024/2025 would be the clubs worst years (discounting major injury) however to me that now looks like 2025/2026.

1-5 wins, % of 52-65 and 16th at best. I genuinely believe we are this generations rebuild (2021-2025) away becoming senior players before the club looks to be a top team (25-28 years old). The club is so far in the hole we need those current young talents to be senior players and a secondary partial rebuild with young talent at the age of 22-24 (players drafted 2026-2029) before we are looking at a potential challenge.

A big part of the issues were lack of defensive accountability. That can be fixed by not going into games expecting Reid, Yeo and Kelly to be at every centre bounce.

Teams can manage with a weaker ruck, they do it all the time. They just need the right players and mindset around the ball to not let the opposition get free run out of stoppages once they get it.

Duggan in there full time is a start, another defensive player in there would be nice too though
Duggan isn’t a midfielder’s arseh*le

Duggan isn’t a midfielder’s arseh*le
That doesnt matter. He can play defensive on somebody, and we have no real other options unless we try Cole or something in there.

Id rather keep Bailey as our main ruck for 3 more years but get in a solid defensive mid than chase a middle tier ruck and keep our midfield how it is.

Our midfield just isnt working with Reid, Kelly and Yeo as the main 3

Duggan into the midfield isn't going to fix much TBH.

We just need to keep getting high end picks in and rebuilding.

I agree with whoever said draft smart footballers not athletic project types

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he goes in there to be a purely defensive player, basically tagging every week, then he can make a big difference imo.
Its our biggest list hole

Whilst I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom next year major issues I'm seeing that can be resolved:
-New gameplan from a new coach to change our structures and the way we play
- New coach enforcing actual effort into the senior players during games, and dropping players who don't put in 100%. The shit that happened yesterday is simply not acceptable anymore.

These two factors alone can help us win more games than this year. The effort part is what scares me though as games like yesterday have been a systemic issue at the club for the last 3 years.

The next bit of improvement can be done with
-A new ruck : Please eagles, target Knobel. People who say the rucks don't change anything need to look at how badly Bailey is beaten every single week. He literally coughs up many many clean clearances every week to the opposition and just cannot compete. Our mids don't stand a chance when they can't even fight for the ball due to Bailey's lack of even being able to compete.
-The young players rising - the return of Long and the belief that Hewett after a third season and remaining uninjured could bring an extra element to the side. Ginbey with another year and Hough continuing to set himself as an elite defender. Johnston, Williams, Maric, Dewar having another year in the system will improve the team by 15 to 20%.
-More senior role players in the trade period. Pyke said we'd be aggressive. Let's hope we can find some players to play a role in our developing squad.

If we can see improvements in these areas I can definitely see us winning 7 games minimum next year.

Way too bloody early too make any calls here. Wait for Trade Period etc to be over. See who we bring in, see if Hewett gets himself fit and healthy. A million possibilities this off season. Never ever has it meant as much as it does this year. Tasmania are around the corner, the writing is on the wall.

We could be worse and finish 2nd bottom, only Richmond worse or we climb to mid ladder all depends on who we got incoming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill just point out with the ruck situation, Tim English has beat 1 other main ruckman this year in hitouts, and that was Sam DeKoning who is a full back and was splitting 60-40 ruck time with Blicavs.

Essentially hes beaten nobody, not even Bailey Williams. The Bulldogs are doing just fine.

Teams can work around a poor ruckman with the right structures and mindset in the midfield.

Just cant have a midfield of just Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett, Trew, etc for next year

That doesnt matter. He can play defensive on somebody, and we have no real other options unless we try Cole or something in there.

Id rather keep Bailey as our main ruck for 3 more years but get in a solid defensive mid than chase a middle tier ruck and keep our midfield how it is.

Our midfield just isnt working with Reid, Kelly and Yeo as the main 3
BW just isn't the answer.

He will run through a brick wall for the club but he continually gets destroyed by good ruckman.
As shown yesterday.

BW just isn't the answer.

He will run through a brick wall for the club but he continually gets destroyed by good ruckman.
As shown yesterday.
I assume we have all given up on Barnett being a ruckman at this stage, if we could nab Dodson in the draft and give Bailey a full preseason as a ruckman, we might manage for a few years.

Put Bailey and Flynn against eachother, tell them theyll never play in the same side, and see what happens. Let Dodson be our guy in a few years time

Bailey is only 24, hes still young for a ruckman and despite rucking all this time still hasnt done a preseason as a full time ruck, we just need to forget about Bailey as a forward option.
Flynn might come good with a full preseason too.

Development of younger players should be the most important metric but 5-7 wins and a significant reduction in losing margin should be the hope.
Probably met expectations, better competitiveness, better S&C, still way off the pace. Some development of young players Reid, Hough, J Williams, A Reid looks good at WAFL level. Chesser stayed on the park at least unlike Hewett. Dewar was a surprise, but Burgiel and Barnett struggled.

I don't expect next year to be any better on the win loss front.

Been reading a fair bit about wins, losses and ladder position for next year.

Read posts that have said "with a good run at it and with no injuries, we can possibly make finals".
Also read that we will be spooners again.

So what are the expectations?
Not really concerned about ladder position, just how many wins we should expect, hope for given the current state of our list.

For me, I'd be happy with 5 to 6 wins and a decent increase in percentage.
Pretty much where I thought we'd be.
Also cut out the 100 point belting.

Have to start another thread for next year soon.

Can't see us getting anywhere near 10 wins TBH.

Agree which is why I said it was best possible case scenario.

7+ should be the goal.

We won 5 this year while being overall quite poor, and left a couple of winnable games against St Kilda and Essendon on the table.

More than anything I hope we are younger next year than we were this year.

We need to start phasing out guys like Cripps, Darling, Cole and trade guys like Ryan who might still have some value.

Continue developing Harvey, Hall, Dewar, Maric and Ginbey (in the backline) and reintegrate Hewett, Bazzo and Long.

We should aim for 5+ debuts. Burgiel, AReid, + 3 draftees as a minimum.

We only got one rising star nom this year, which is not good for a rebuilding team. Last year we had 3.

A 22 of

Hough Edwards Cole
Duggan Gov Ginbey
Johnston Reid Maric
Dewar Waterman Brockman
Long Oscar JWilliams
Flynn Yeo Kelly
Hewett, Bazzo, Draper (or draftee), Graham

Even that team is only 11 players drafted since 2021. Less than half and still reliant on older stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expectations for Next Year - wins/losses

Back