F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooo go Piastri. Good to see a talented Australian on the grid for once.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Couldn't resist. I've edited it to suggest it's a joke. Just like McLaren. And Ferrari.

He is indeed a super talent - but plenty of talent in lower formulas never made the step up. Personally I think Webber and Ricciardo could only ever win the drivers championship with a lot of luck in the right car and they were never in the mix with the generational talent (Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen etc).

Let's hope Oscar isn't one of them - or at least has a lot more luck going his way.

He is indeed a super talent - but plenty of talent in lower formulas never made the step up. Personally I think Webber and Ricciardo could only ever win the drivers championship with a lot of luck in the right car and they were never in the mix with the generational talent (Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen etc).

Let's hope Oscar isn't one of them - or at least has a lot more luck going his way.
Behind all of those generational talents were one or two powerful men with perpetual boners for an individual. Absolutely a class above regardless but it always helps when you get the golden shower child status

From the BBC:

The word in F1 is that there had been a hitch in negotiations between Alpine and Alonso over the length of his contract, with the driver wanting a firm two-year deal and the team preferring an option clause after next season.

Aston Martin wanted Vettel to stay and had offered him a contract for next season, but they had also had informal exploratory chats with Alonso in case the four-time champion wanted to stop.

When Vettel made his decision, Aston Martin moved quickly.

The likelihood is that Alonso has signed a two- or three-year deal with options after each year that give him more certainty than he was being offered by Alpine.

And I would imagine this would open up the opportunity for DeVries to get Latifi's Williams seat.
Not sure if there are any non-financial reasons to keep Latifi at this point.

Logan Sargent will probably be the front runner considering he is a Williams junior driver.

Yeah hopefully Sargent gets the Williams seat now, any other seats that may open up do we think?

No. The only one I can think of is if Alpha Tauri were to drop Yuki but I can't see that happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, so late to the party and only got done watching the race now. Can any.of you.learned gentlemen tell me why McLaren put hards on Danny Ric when they did?

Sitting pretty in 7th. Stroll not gaining ground for at least 3 laps. Only 20 laps to go and Ric happy to stay out for a couple more. Alpine, Ferraris and everyone else struggling badly.on hards. Others going to softs as they last about 20 laps (all of whom made it to the end).

I don't get it.

Ok, so late to the party and only got done watching the race now. Can any.of you.learned gentlemen tell me why McLaren put hards on Danny Ric when they did?

Sitting pretty in 7th. Stroll not gaining ground for at least 3 laps. Only 20 laps to go and Ric happy to stay out for a couple more. Alpine, Ferraris and everyone else struggling badly.on hards. Others going to softs as they last about 20 laps (all of whom made it to the end).

I don't get it.
Think a few teams were a bit scared about of the undercut given the historical difficulty at overtaking at this circuit. Focusing more on track position than race pace.

Think a few teams were a bit scared about of the undercut given the historical difficulty at overtaking at this circuit. Focusing more on track position than race pace.
Well at least it's a reason I suppose. A terrible reason - given everyone on hards were dropping places and there were plenty of overtakes but a reason nonetheless.

I don't get it.

McLaren's strategy has been almost as bad as Ferrari most of the season and the only reason you don't hear about it is because McLaren aren't fighting for a title and Ferrari's have been worse.

Surprisingly fun race to watch. The formula changes have clearly been a massive positive.

Not often I say that about rule changes for any sport.

But credit where its due, this year has been way better than 2021 as a neutral viewer.

Alonso still racing into his 40s is weird to me. I'm mid thirties so in a way I like it, makes me feel less over the hill.

Still weird though. Good on him for securing another two/three years (if the rumours are true).

Ferrari, lol. As somebody else in this thread said, they are the gift which keeps on giving.

If you didn't know better you'd think they were playing to a script where they are the color / funny guy in the show.

The loveable heel, if you will. So loveable they aren't even the heel.

You start to hope they will work it out but they never do. It is ridiculous how often they mess things up. Seriously.

Anyway time for a few weeks holiday. Will the home stretch be Danny's last as an F1 driver? Looks like it.

How fun is it to have three teams competing every raceday? And two or three more at least putting up a fight.

2022 > 2021 / 2022. Easily.

Last edited:

Yup. I have Webber and Riccardo on the same level as Nico Rosberg. Needed everything to go right and to extract every ounce of his talent to win the WDC.

Surprisingly fun race to watch. The formula changes have clearly been a massive positive.

Bot often I say that about rule changes for any sport.

But credit where its due, this year has been way better than 2021 as a neutral viewer.

Alonso still racing into his 40s is weird to me. I'm mid thirties so in a way I like it, makes me feel less over the hill.

Still weird though. Good on him for securing another two/three years (if the rumours are true).

Ferrari, lol. As somebody else in this thread said, they are the gift which keeps on giving.

If you didn't know better you'd think they were playing to a script where they are the color / funny guy in the show.

The loveable heel, if you will. So loveable they aren't even the heel.

You start to hope they will work it out but they never do. It is ridiculous how often they mess things up. Seriously.

Anyway time for a few weeks holiday. Will the home stretch be Danny's last as an F1 driver? Looks like it.

How fun is it to have three teams competing every raceday? And two or three more at least putting up a fight.

2022 > 2021 / 2022. Easily.

Bit like Richmond/Carlton though, once they start winning their supporters are insufferable campaigners

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back