List Mgmt. FA & trade wash up, what list spots & draft picks do we have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have the picks to lure a big fish - can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Keep your pants on.
Don't tell me how to express myself!:mad:

I'm actually pretty pleased getting Dunn. Given the circumstance, and some of the other likely candidates being thrown around (Dawson, Silvagni), not the worst outcome. Hopefully a cheap and cheerful pick up that can hold the line for a couple of years while we dig ourselves out of the list hole we seem to have dug ourselves.

The big take away for me is that its an extremely risky and fraught process trading your future first round pick. A year is a long time in footy and you don't know what your needs will be in twelve months and how much you've limited yourself.

I'd like to see us just draft the best kid we can each year from now on with our first unless something exceptional is available.

Does this draft have ridiculous depth or something? Last year we had hacks like Melkshem, Seedsman, Bastinac, Freeman going for second round picks yet this year we have players like Mitchell, Lewis, Cloke, Kerstan, Vardy, Stewart, Williams going for picks 60+. What is going on?
While this draft is supposed to be quite deep clubs placed much greater value on draft picks this season. Conversely last year the academy clubs placed a greater value on points with numerous backwards pick swaps (2x 4th round picks for 1x 3rd pick etc), which freed up a lot of the earlier picks and made it a lot easier to obtain them.

I put it down to the rule change that means clubs can only take the same number of draft picks into the draft as vacant list spots.

I like what they have done, obviously every player who can't kick or is a questionable kick was a target or available during the trade period. The only exception to the rule was Witts who IMO has amazing skills for a player 209 cm tall.
Interestingly Greenwood survived.

Agree with all that except worth noting that Frost + Brown + Marsh equalled 36 senior games this year and you would think that's going to be covered in 2017 by Dunn, Keeffe & Goldsack so Dunn might get more games than some think.
Also WHE only 2 games in 2016 and I can't see any injury since 2015 here http://www.footywire.com/afl/club/player-biography/3642.html so not sure how he slots in yet.

True those three guys did play senior games, but they didn't exactly nail best 22. A choice needed to be made between Brown & Frost - they couldn't be in the same team - they were in and out all year and neither convincing. With both going Dunn replaces that spot they were in and out on at least temporarily until someone like Keefe or White or some state league dude proves their worth there.

Marsh we obviously wanted and he is not actually off the list yet. I think if Marsh had not have fallen over Goldy would have gone. They are similar types and Marsh has left the door open for the Goldmans triumphant return.

So those 36 games we should spread across a few older faces and maybe some new ones. No great improvement but not really going backwards.

WHE is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. His talent is undeniable, but is that enough? Essentially this is his chance to shine. I felt Stevie J really limited his games this year and never had a good run at it until the end of the year (he should have played the prelim). I think he can be super damaging when released on a real sized ground like the MCG. He could start slowly like Aish but as the year goes on I think his talent will shine through.

Looking back at it all I think we have done well. Brisbane will likely wooden spoon in 2017 so that'll yield roughly picks 37 & 55 for Frost. We got rid off alot of our players with shit skills. We got whe. We got Wells and Mayne. We got enough picks to get Brown and Daicos. Hopefully pick 28 will allow us to pick up Brennan Cox. Hopefully Mitch McCarthy will be available late too so we can still really regenerate the key back stocks. We will be able to trade in a quality tall fwd and attack free agency again next year. Keep Marsh on the list and assist him with his issues and see where he is at in a year. Go Pies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FREE AGENCY

OUT: Brown
IN: Wells, Mayne

TRADES:

Witts -> 44, 62
Cloke -> 76
2017 2nd round -> Hoskin-Elliott
Williams -> 105
Frost, 76 (Cloke), 2017 CFC 3rd round -> 2017 BL 3rd round, 2017 BL 4th round
47 -> Dunn, 51

OUT: Witts, Cloke, Williams, Frost
IN: Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott

DRAFT PICKS:

2016 - 28, 44, 47, 51, 62, 65, 76, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd BL, 3rd CFC, 4th BL, 4th CFC, 5th...

LIST SPOTS:

SENIOR

31.) Swan -> Wells
32.) Macaffer -> Mayne
33.) Brown -> Dunn
34.) Goodyear -> Hoskin-Elliott
36.) Cloke -> pick 28
36.) Witts -> pick 44
37.) Toovey -> pick 51
38.) Frost -> pick 62
39.) Williams -> pick 65
40.) pick 83

ROOKIES

R1.) Keeffe
R2.) Thomas
R3.) Smith
R4.) Golds
If senior list of 39 - R5.) Gault
If senior list of 38 - R6.)

Cat B 1.) Cox
Cat B 2.) Wyatt
Thanks for that summary. Marsh is another that needs to be considered. If they can't talk him around I assume he'll just be delisted. He may take up a rookie spot next year. If we can keep 2 convicted drug cheats on the list for 2 years, I wouldn't mind seeing Marsh rookied and given 12 months to see if he can work things out.

I find it remarkable how upset people are getting considering we went into this draft with no first round pick, 2 FS nominations and a swathe of junk players to offload.

I think we actually did fairly well considering the complete lack of currency we had.
Agreed. There was little chance of gaining anything too great this year. After last year, the cookie jar was left pretty empty. Hawthorn will find themselves in the same boat next year, only worse.

FREE AGENCY

OUT: Brown
IN: Wells, Mayne

TRADES:

Witts -> 44, 62
Cloke -> 76
2017 2nd round -> Hoskin-Elliott
Williams -> 105
Frost, 76 (Cloke), 2017 CFC 3rd round -> 2017 BL 3rd round, 2017 BL 4th round
47 -> Dunn, 51

OUT: Witts, Cloke, Williams, Frost
IN: Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott

DRAFT PICKS:

2016 - 28, 44, 47, 51, 62, 65, 76, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd BL, 3rd CFC, 4th BL, 5th...
We don't have 47 or 76 this year (went in Dunn deal to Melbourne and Frost deal to Brisbane respectively), our 2nd next year (WHE to GWS) or our 3rd next year (Frost deal).

2016 - 28, 44, 51, 62, 65, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 3rd BL, 4th BL, 4th CFC, 5th CFC...

Last edited:
It feels similar to a couple years ago when picked up Travis Varcoe and Jack Crisp.

It didn't seem so at the time, but those deals turned out pretty well for us in the end.

We don't have 47 or 76 this year (went in Dunn deal to Melbourne and Frost deal to Brisbane respectively), our 2nd next year (WHE to GWS) or our 3rd next year (Frost deal).

2016 - 28, 44, 51, 62, 65, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 3rd BL, 4th BL, 4th CFC, 5th...
Cheers mate, I included them with a strikethrough to illustrate the changes.

Cheers mate, I included them with a strikethrough to illustrate the changes.
Ah, shit, I'm viewing this through Tapatalk and that didn't show, so now I look like a knob trying to be a know-it-all. Sorry!

Ah, shit, I'm viewing this through Tapatalk and that didn't show, so now I look like a knob trying to be a know-it-all. Sorry!
Nah all good, I just assumed strikethroughs always show. Anyone know why they don't? I'll add a note to the OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. FA & trade wash up, what list spots & draft picks do we have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back