Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Every failed head coach who wasn't a retread was a fantastic assistant coach which is why they got a chance in the big chair in the first place.

Some people just make great assist coaches and the ones who stepped higher and came back down at least aren't overly focused on how to get promoted!

Dew did a fairly good job at the Suns though and is a big part of the reason they retained players, got an identity and aren't a basket case. Only lost his job because of Dimma being keen.

Must admit, I was gobsmacked when I read this:

While insisting Friday night’s clash with the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium isn’t a “must-win” affair for the Lions, Fagan admits Brisbane is in a “precarious position”, having won only four from 11 matches this season.

I’ve deadset thought our last two games where we failed to get the full eight points were must-win so comments like this automatically give the players an out who let’s be honest, regularly look for outs and excuses.

Perhaps Fagan has conceded the season is over from a finals perspective which hasn’t been openly communicated to the fans because I honestly fail to see how if we lose this one that our season is still alive. If I’m being really honest, I don’t see how we make it from here and really did need the full eight points from those games but if this week wasn’t must-win then I don’t know what is; you tell me Fages.

I’ve deadset thought our last two games where we failed to get the full eight points were must-win so comments like this automatically give the players an out who let’s be honest, regularly look for outs and excuses.

Perhaps Fagan has conceded the season is over from a finals perspective which hasn’t been openly communicated to the fans because I honestly fail to see how if we lose this one that our season is still alive. If I’m being really honest, I don’t see how we make it from here and really did need the full eight points from those games but if this week wasn’t must-win then I don’t know what is; you tell me Fages.

Did Fagan actually say it wasn’t a must win? I feel like the journo was doing a bit of paraphrasing there right? It never really comes up in the longer quotes in the article.

“If you focus on the result, you play with too much fear inside you,” Fagan said.

“You’ve got to focus on the process, think the process is fearless, think about what you’ve got to do in every second of the game – that’s the best way to go.

“Yes, we are in a precarious position. We know that, but thinking about that’s not going to help. It’s just focusing in on what we need to do.”

Bit bizarre as surely they quote him fully if he insisted that it wasn’t a must win.

Did Fagan actually say it wasn’t a must win? I feel like the journo was doing a bit of paraphrasing there right? It never really comes up in the longer quotes in the article.

Bit bizarre as surely they quote him fully if he insisted that it wasn’t a must win.
As head coach, what’s to gain from saying it’s a must win? I think that kind of thing is something for pundits, media, fans etc.
For the coach to say it, nothing to gain other than more pressure for the team, and failure if we lose.

Last edited:

2+2=273748382727

Of course he will.

There’s obviously no one in the reserves that could replace him and the other chestnut that what would it serve him playing in the reserves.

I can’t recall a player in more recent times that has been mis managed more as player than Rayner and whilst a lot is on him personally, Fagan has got to take a lot of blame too. I have no doubt that once he moves to another team in another system that he’ll thrive and become the player that all here have wanted him to become because it ain’t happening here.
He will not be any better anywhere else as he is only a handy player. Not a ball level terrier but occasionally takes a pack mark. What is missed the myriad of missed pack marks. I cannot understand how posters still wait for the champion Ray-less to emerge

He dominated the juniors for a reason which did not translate to the seniors.

Brennan may turn out to be a better use of a pick!!!

it will depend what we can get for Cam.

He will not be any better anywhere else as he is only a handy player. Not a ball level terrier but occasionally takes a pack mark. What is missed the myriad of missed pack marks. I cannot understand how posters still wait for the champion Ray-less to emerge

He dominated the juniors for a reason which did not translate to the seniors.

Brennan may turn out to be a better use of a pick!!!

it will depend what we can get for Cam.
It's interesting that a lot of people still seem to have the same expectations that everyone had when we drafted him despite zero development in his skills or his tank.

In fact he was a bit better back then. But still dropping chest marks , struggling to pick it up and getting over nervous when the pressure's on.

Whether it's too late for the tough love I dunno.

Usually you throw someone in the middle when they're able to dominate somewhere else so to think someone like him would transition is fantasy land stuff to me , but this is where people's thinking is with him.

No surprises in selection obviously. I agree with Fages this is a must win game. We're getting the Bulldogs off a season high with an extra week's break so I'd be very surprised if we're not right in this match.

They'll come out with the adrenalin still pumping after last week , just need to stick with them .

We're all waiting for the team to come good , our performances have been overall poor this year and not beaten anyone of note so this week we'll get a good guide as to where we're at.

I pot him when we lose so will congratulate Fages on good coaching this week - had a plan for bont, and while bont is such a freak that he still had almost 20 and kicked 3, we won the game in the first half on the back of how we set up to negate him.
Same; well said. Some very astute moves made before the game and in game. Well done Fages & Co

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pot him when we lose so will congratulate Fages on good coaching this week - had a plan for bont, and while bont is such a freak that he still had almost 20 and kicked 3, we won the game in the first half on the back of how we set up to negate him.

When you watch Bont live you realise he can’t ever fully be stopped. If he played for a club with a more rounded list he’d have won multiple brownlows imo

When you watch Bont live you realise he can’t ever fully be stopped. If he played for a club with a more rounded list he’d have won multiple brownlows imo

Best player in the comp easily still, Petracca the only one that comes close on song. Daicos is excellent too (sadly) but reckon he's more someone you have to set up your team to help him thrive still whereas Bont is just awesome.

I'd go Bont, Petracca, Daicos, with Jeremy Cameron next. Curnow can join the conversation when he plays a good final.

Dew is a genius.
Stewie Dew take a bow. One week in (only one session)
Imagine what he can do if he was in Fages' position?

Sack Fagan, now.

These are tongue in cheek I know, but missing a small (but important) point ...................... Stewie was ill and missed his first session this week.

Probably better to say "Wow, what sort of an impact might he have when he actually does start working with the players".

These are tongue in cheek I know, but missing a small (but important point) ...................... Stewie was ill and missed his first session this week.

Probably better to say "Wow, what sort of an impact might he have when he actually does start working with the players".
WOW, if Stewie can have this sort of impact from his sick bed, just imagine what he can do when he hits the ground Crusha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back