Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I was under the impression that Mr Dew had consolidated credentials as an assistant but shown he was not a good fit for the senior coach role...?

I think its recency bias. When Dew was appointed people forget that the Suns were a genuine laughing stock and hemorrhaging all of their good players year on year. Dew stabalised them and turned the ship around - yes they still lost players and yes they weren't world beaters - but from the base he inherited he made them competitive and gave them some credibility as a footy team. IMO the list he inherited was also fundamentally flawed and constrained by all of the previous hemorrhaging and overpaid contracts for average talent.

The AFL wanted a big name to boost the work Dew had done so installed Hardwick at great cost. Hardwick achieved basically the same this year IMO. And if you look at where Dew had them trending you could say that in relative terms he has probably slightly underachieved this year.

If you EVER say anything about Mr Dew again, I will find you. And I will force you to watch all of Mr Dew's press conferences.

Mmmm…

Brisbane Lions to extend coach Chris Fagan’s contract to 2026 regardless of finals results​

Brisbane Lions’ hierarchy will back Chris Fagan in with a contract extension regardless of how the Lions finish finals and despite a poor start to 2024.

Brisbane will back long-time coach Chris Fagan to the hilt, with a one-year extension on his current deal certain to be in place before the start of next season, regardless of how the Lions’ rollercoaster 2024 season ends.
Fagan said last week that he would walk away from the Lions if he did not consider him the right man for the job.

But the Herald Sun understands the Lions’ hierarchy has seen enough across his entire tenure and has been impressed by his steady hand this season following a 0-3 start to guarantee an extra year. It would see the 63-year-old locked away until the end of the 2026 season.

Fagan has yet to put pen to paper, but the Herald Sun believes an extension will be done with the coach before the start of next season, and potentially as early as before Christmas.

The deal could see Fagan (187 games) overtake Brisbane triple premiership mentor Leigh Matthews (237) as the coach with the most games in the club’s history.

The Lions are yet to win that elusive premiership in Fagan’s eight seasons at the helm, despite coming close in last year’s thrilling grand final loss to Collingwood, which remained alive until the final siren.

At times Fagan has been criticised for a lack of cutting edge acumen, but as he showed again this season, he has a close connection to the playing group and insiders credit him with helping to resurrect the club’s season when it was sliding away earlier this year.

The Lions take on the Giants on Saturday in an effort to keep their season alive, coming off the back of an elimination finals victory over Carlton last week.

A one-year extension, which pushes his current deal into 2026, is seen as a fair reward for the coach who has taken the Lions to six consecutive finals appearances – the best current streak of the current clubs.

The club is bullish about the premiership window remaining open for some time given they will secure father-son Levi Ashcroft in the first handful of picks and academy selection Sam Marshall in the first round.

The injection of youth in recent seasons has seen the likes of Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, Logan Morris and Jaspa Fletcher continue to take strides, despite five knee reconstruction victims which hurt the depth at stages.

All five players who suffered ACL injuries are expected to be ready by the start of next year.

Fagan said after the finals defeat of Carlton last Saturday that he was thrilled so many of those players had stood up on the big stage.

“I was a little bit worried about them, to be honest, because the first final can be a little bit overwhelming but we had a couple of really good guest speakers,” Fagan said.

“I interviewed ‘Hodgey’ (Luke Hodge) and Trent Cotchin who is doing some leadership stuff with us and they talked about what they thought was important in finals. There were good messages for everyone in the room but particularly our younger players and I thought they all contributed well.

“Wilmot was terrific, Lohmann was great, Logan Morris, Ashy, Fletchy did his two bobs worth. It has been one of the great things about our season. The crisis with knee injuries has created some opportunities for young players and they stood up tonight.”

Great news.

Incoming media narrative >

Lions win the Flag 2024- Genius decision by the Lions to extend Chris Fagan.

Lose to the Giants on Saturday- Lions jump too early extending Chris Fagan.
Perhaps we may even regret not extending longer than a year.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Call me negative but I think it's a bad choice. 2025 would have been a perfect year to bring in an understudy to take over from 2026 onwards.

Provided the above does happen but using 2026 as the understudy year and 2027 as the takeover year, I could be okay with that. Effectively giving 2025 as the final year for Fagan and Fagan alone to finish things off.
They were talking about Chris Fagan on one of the footy shows recently (I think in contrast to Ken Hinkley), and they suggested that Fagan is open to moving on if the club all agree it's in the best interest of the club.
I suspect the extension into 2026 is more about preventing the destabilizing talk that can occur when a coach is in their final year. if the worst happens next year, Chris and the club may agree that they've reached an end-point regardless of contract.

...however I'm not of the opinion that will happen. We're going to challenge again next season, and I have belief Chris Fagan will finish his coaching tenure at Brisbane as a premiership coach.

They were talking about Chris Fagan on one of the footy shows recently (I think in contrast to Ken Hinkley), and they suggested that Fagan is open to moving on if the club all agree it's in the best interest of the club.
I suspect the extension into 2026 is more about preventing the destabilizing talk that can occur when a coach is in their final year. if the worst happens next year, Chris and the club may agree that they've reached an end-point regardless of contract.

...however I'm not of the opinion that will happen. We're going to challenge again next season, and I have belief Chris Fagan will finish his coaching tenure at Brisbane as a premiership coach.

Additionally the list is still healthy, we are consistently playing finals, missed a flag by 4 points, have record membership and crowd figures, doing well financially and are as relevant as we have been since 04. A large part of that is down to fages so it’s a bit of a no brainer to extend.

There’s no reason why next year won’t be much of the same.

If you EVER say anything about Mr Dew again, I will find you. And I will force you to watch all of Mr Dew's press conferences.
So he-who-shall-not-be-named it is!

But what if I wanted to say something nice about Voldy?

Re hunting please start looking in Nerang ...

Re press conferences isn't there something in the conventions about cruel and unusual punishment (then again I watched every game during the Leppa era so I have inflicted worse upon myself!)

Call me negative but I think it's a bad choice. 2025 would have been a perfect year to bring in an understudy to take over from 2026 onwards.

Provided the above does happen but using 2026 as the understudy year and 2027 as the takeover year, I could be okay with that. Effectively giving 2025 as the final year for Fagan and Fagan alone to finish things off.
The only successful handover has been from Roos to assistant coaches, one of those he went out because he chose to at his own timing and the second because he went into the job with the conscious decision to hand over.

Every other "planned out" succession plan has been a disaster and coincided with a slide in the club's results. You end up with multiple cooks in the kitchen, players don't know who they should be paying more attention to - for results this year, or the person who's going to control your employment for the years thereafter, and the outgoing coach tends to burn his bridges as well.

So unless Fagan puts his hand up that he's keen for that scenario, I think it's a non-starter. We'd be better off straight up firing Fagan than forcing a succession plan because the latter already shows we've lost faith in him, we're just dragging it out and making the whole situation worse and less tenable.

The only successful handover has been from Roos to assistant coaches, one of those he went out because he chose to at his own timing and the second because he went into the job with the conscious decision to hand over.

Every other "planned out" succession plan has been a disaster and coincided with a slide in the club's results. You end up with multiple cooks in the kitchen, players don't know who they should be paying more attention to - for results this year, or the person who's going to control your employment for the years thereafter, and the outgoing coach tends to burn his bridges as well.

So unless Fagan puts his hand up that he's keen for that scenario, I think it's a non-starter. We'd be better off straight up firing Fagan than forcing a succession plan because the latter already shows we've lost faith in him, we're just dragging it out and making the whole situation worse and less tenable.

You're underestimating the power of #DoTheDew

Even Fagan is on board!

If Daly is going this off-season, we want stability next year at least at the coaching front.

Either way Fagan extending is good for the club. He turned the ship around from 2016/17 and all our main players have re-signed because of his continuity.

If Daly is going this off-season, we want stability next year at least at the coaching front.

Either way Fagan extending is good for the club. He turned the ship around from 2016/17 and all our main players have re-signed because of his continuity.
Could do a lot worse than sound out Graham Wright if that happens. Very very successful operator at both Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Could do a lot worse than sound out Graham Wright if that happens. Very very successful operator at both Hawthorn and Collingwood.

I'm keen on bringing back Noble to be honest. He still has that familiarity with the list and players, as well as some level of relationship at an individual level. With his stint at North, Noble knows to a great extent the pain points of Fagan's seat and he can be effective folly with all his wisdom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm keen on bringing back Noble to be honest. He still has that familiarity with the list and players, as well as some level of relationship at an individual level. With his stint at North, Noble knows to a great extent the pain points of Fagan's seat and he can be effective folly with all his wisdom.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Has been mentioned numerous times in the media that he wants a CEO position, but he has also been linked to the footy manager’s position in Tasmania.
He would be a good get but I doubt we could lure him north.

His son will be playing for the Gold Coast next year, could help the cause

That's Noble.

Graham Wright took a sabattical this year from Collingwood and isn't returning to them. Seems to me like he's ready to wind down his committments and I doubt he'd be keen for another similar role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back