Father-son and Academy bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the WAFL only produce 3% of the drafting talent out there? I don't think so. You have a great monopoly being in an AFL dominated two-team town and there is plenty of decent WA talent to draft from come draft day. Not so much of that local talent in NSW/Qld...hence the academies.

We get no greater access to that WA talent..

We get no greater access to that WA talent..
Because there is so much of it and the fact that there is still amble opportunity for you to still draft decent talent from WA. Talent is scarce in Qld/NSW.

Half your list is from WA, 10% of ours is from Qld. See how this might be a potential disadvantage in regards to player retention?

Because there is so much of it and the fact that there is still amble opportunity for you to still draft decent talent from WA. Talent is scarce in Qld/NSW.

Half your list is from WA, 10% of ours is from Qld. See how this might be a potential disadvantage in regards to player retention?

Hence the AFL should be investing in academies - not requiring the clubs to.

I'm all for investing the AFL money bringing GC and GWS in - more eyes on the game, encouraging more people to play at grass roots. It is a generational plan. I also commend the clubs for the work they do and if WC could access the same rort - i'd be all for it.

I'm not sold on the "player retention" issue. Brisbane had a shocker last year - but by and large WC would have lost as many quality players in the past decade. (Happy to be proven wrong on that)

Who have the swans lost back to Melbourne? Darren Jolly (who they didn't draft)?

Yes the star Ben McKinley ruined the poor Eagles from getting another premiership. Losing Ebert doesn't really compare, and if you go back 10 years so can Brisbane...Dalziell, Headland?

Anyway, West Coast's player retention ability has nothing to do with the amount of talent in NSW/QLD.

Academies finally doing their job and people want them canned, mind boggles. It's all a case of complain now when the talent coming out is now first round talent. No toys were thrown from prams last year over 'draft-steal' Jonathan Freeman

Can't be too big a disadvantage when you've made 4 grand finals in 10 years...

My point remains the same - the ideas of academies are great in areas like nsw.. They should be funded and run by the afl, not by Sydney

If GF final appearances by a single team equates with "growing the game" by your rationale when we made the GF in 1996 it was 'mission accomplished' for footy in NSW. The proposition is ludicrous.

Your first mistake is the one most on BF make when assessing the Academies - you are confusing them as being simply a mechanism to keep the Swans up. They're not. It's about footy in NSW and QLD. We've made 4 GFs in 10 years. But the Academies have played no part in that as yet.

The Swans are not AR in NSW. Just a prominent face of AR in NSW. The Academies are about creating a pathway that ultimately might increase the playing pool from NSW and QLD state from something insignificant into something majorly significant. That's it.

If the Swans have to fund and direct resources towards it to kick start the process in the interim, and the Sydney brand is the best way to get kids from NSW to turn up to clinics at 12 yrs of age, then so be it.

If GF final appearances by a single team equates with "growing the game" by your rationale when we made the GF in 1996 it was 'mission accomplished' for footy in NSW. The proposition is ludicrous.

Your first mistake is the one most on BF make when assessing the Academies - you are confusing them as being simply a mechanism to keep the Swans up. They're not. It's about footy in NSW and QLD. We've made 4 GFs in 10 years. But the Academies have played no part in that as yet.

The Swans are not AR in NSW. Just a prominent face of AR in NSW. The Academies are about creating a pathway that ultimately might increase the playing pool from NSW and QLD state from something insignificant into something majorly significant. That's it.

If the Swans have to fund and direct resources towards it to kick start the process in the interim, and the Sydney brand is the best way to get kids from NSW to turn up to clinics at 12 yrs of age, then so be it.

I understand the point of the academies - perfect to grow the game

There is no reason that the afl can't fund it and use the Sydney brand as well

I'm all for growing the grassroots - otherwise teams in qld/nsw will never be net contributors (which is who growth works)

Other clubs have had net benefits out of nsw and sure heeney is the poster child at the moment - but assuming the academies go from strength to strength this will happen more and more, I'm not sure Sydney need that advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Growing the game' should be about getting kids from NSW and Qld up to draftable standard.

I get why clubs don't want to invest time and resources into something if there is no direct benefit to them, but I reckon the academies would function fine without a special pathway to NSW/Qld clubs.

'Growing the game' should be about getting kids from NSW and Qld up to draftable standard.

I get why clubs don't want to invest time and resources into something if there is no direct benefit to them, but I reckon the academies would function fine without a special pathway to NSW/Qld clubs.

Course. And AFL will fund them. All good with that

Maybe they would. But that would require the AFL to run them, wouldn't it?

At the risk of getting this thread back on track, the bidding will take place tomorrow at 1000. I'll take a guess at what may happen...

Darcy Moore - #8 to Collingwood
Isaac Heeney - #17 to Sydney
Billy Stretch - #22 to Melbourne
Jack Steele - #23 to GWS
Abe Davis - #36 to Sydney
Jeremy Finlayson - #40 to GWS
Liam Dawson - #41 to Brisbane
Zaine Cordy - #42 to Western Bulldogs
Alec Waterman - #48 to West Coast
Harris Andrews - #60 to Brisbane
Josh Clayton - no bids
Jack Hiscox - no bids

I've probably overrated a few there, but that's what I'd do if I were the other clubs. GWS and Sydney may get lucky with Steele and Davis respectively, and get them a round later. While I would seriously consider Dawson early, because Brisbane wont be matching any bid involving their second round pick. They should be picking early enough to stop that from happening, but GWS with their compensation pick or even St Kilda could make a sneaky bid and get good value.

At the risk of getting this thread back on track, the bidding will take place tomorrow at 1000. I'll take a guess at what may happen...

Darcy Moore - #8 to Collingwood
Isaac Heeney - #17 to Sydney
Billy Stretch - #22 to Melbourne
Jack Steele - #23 to GWS
Abe Davis - #36 to Sydney
Jeremy Finlayson - #40 to GWS
Liam Dawson - #41 to Brisbane
Zaine Cordy - #42 to Western Bulldogs
Alec Waterman - #48 to West Coast
Harris Andrews - #60 to Brisbane
Josh Clayton - no bids
Jack Hiscox - no bids

I've probably overrated a few there, but that's what I'd do if I were the other clubs. GWS and Sydney may get lucky with Steele and Davis respectively, and get them a round later. While I would seriously consider Dawson early, because Brisbane wont be matching any bid involving their second round pick. They should be picking early enough to stop that from happening, but GWS with their compensation pick or even St Kilda could make a sneaky bid and get good value.

Who do you think will bid on Davis, Finlayson and Andrews that early?

Who do you think will bid on Davis, Finlayson and Andrews that early?

I think Davis could go anywhere from about 30-50, so possibly Fremantle or Geelong could bid a second. Even Port Adelaide. The problem is that trade week is still to come, and parting with a second round pick is a pretty big deal - especially when you're trying to get the likes of Mitch Clark or Paddy Ryder/Daniel Gorringe to your club. The same goes for Finlayson. So there is every chance that both teams will be saved by clubs not wanting to part with second round picks before trade week. I'd bid on Finlayson if I were Fremantle though.

And for Andrews, #60 is a fourth round pick. A 198cm key defender who has developed really well over the past year has to be worth a pick in the 50s I'd have thought. He has definitely slipped under the radar compared with Brisbane's other Academy players, but he arguably has just as much potential and talent as any KPD outside of the first round.

Reminds me of:
MNJ3rRr.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Father-son and Academy bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back