Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he have a bit of Roger James, not overly fast, but gets the ball in close and can give off. Tidy enough kick also. Has footy smarts

Better stats than James at the same age though.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he have a bit of Roger James, not overly fast, but gets the ball in close and can give off. Tidy enough kick also. Has footy smarts

He's the one who reminds me most of Roger James, strong compact body, plays low to the ground and wins contested ball in congestion. Probably not Roger's skill level just yet, but he has come on in leaps and bounds this year.

Just goes to show what hard work can do to a fringe player. I didn't think he was good enough but he has shown this year he is a competent AFL player. I love how he shows his enjoyment during the game.
As for the Roger James comparison. I don't see it but I have rose coloured glasses when it comes to James, Francou, Dew etc.

I'm just pleased that we have signed a player with two fully functional arms, as opposed to our latest extension

1720615948249.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small, not quick, doesn't find heaps of the footy, not an elite user, no marking ability at all.

One play summed up his futility at AFL level last night, he got the ball, baulked around an opponent looking for an open teammate - fair enough, well done - couldn't find a teammate so just dumped an around the body kick as far forward as he could. Again, not ideal but fair enough that is just the option sometimes. Problem is, he can only kick 25 metres, so the kick was gobbled up by Geelong and they went inside 50 for a goal.

He's young enough, and we have higher priority players to get rid of, that I'm fine with him having another year but unless there's some paradigm shift in how he plays footy I'm expecting to not see him at AFL level again.

What a massive overreaction. He's taken big steps this year. Literally everyone played badly last night, it's ridiculous to write him off based on that game.
Nah. He's just not very good and never has been. Nothing substantial changed about his form, Hinkley just started picking him every week. That in and of itself doesn't make someone a good footballer.

He's another Sam Gray. Better than the absolute dregs of the list, but if he retired tomorrow we wouldn't miss him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back