Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrapped Tickets up and brought him to ground. All those beach muscles for nothing.

Burgoyne's courage is fabulous. So slight but he absolutely puts himself in the firing line when he has to and wins the ball. Definition of a Port Adelaide player.

His ground and foot skills are continuing to improve, some super clean pick ups and passes last night.

I also look forward to seeing him play alongside younger but bigger brother Rome who also appears to have the same skill set.
This kid can really play.

There was one stage in the last quarter where the Crows were coming out of defence and saw Burgoyne 1 on 1 with a Crows player alone on the outer wing, and thought that was a favourable contest for them.

lol, lmao

Like his dad, he's a slight build but he's strong and composed in the contest. He puts his body on the line but he's always got his eyes up and he's always figuring out a way to get himself and the ball out cleanly. Not to just halve the contest but to win it. Hopefully a few more opposition players make the mistake of kicking to him in a 1 on 1 contest in September.

It is so, so satisfying to have a FS come on like this.

There was one stage in the last quarter where the Crows were coming out of defence and saw Burgoyne 1 on 1 with a Crows player alone on the outer wing, and thought that was a favourable contest for them.

lol, lmao

Like his dad, he's a slight build but he's strong and composed in the contest. He puts his body on the line but he's always got his eyes up and he's always figuring out a way to get himself and the ball out cleanly. Not to just halve the contest but to win it. Hopefully a few more opposition players make the mistake of kicking to him in a 1 on 1 contest in September.

It is so, so satisfying to have a FS come on like this.
Especially one drafted so late.

I've noticed he's popped up forward a bit lately, although he needs a few 'steak chips evenings'. He seems to relish playing for Portz.

Peter Burgoyne was/is a very proud Port man, which made Shaun's deflection to Hawthorn hard to accept and understand (although being overlooked as captain for Cassisi no doubt played the major part).

Jase has a determination and competitiveness about the way he plays that is old-fashioned Port Adelaide, much like Butters and JHF. It's as though being a successful footballer is their primary focus at this stage of their lives. Love that about him.

Peter Burgoyne was/is a very proud Port man, which made Shaun's deflection to Hawthorn hard to accept and understand (although being overlooked as captain for Cassisi no doubt played the major part).

Jase has a determination and competitiveness about the way he plays that is old-fashioned Port Adelaide, much like Butters and JHF. It's as though being a successful footballer is their primary focus at this stage of their lives. Love that about him.

Becoming one of my favs.

Funny one Jase.

Not super quick or agile, not that hard running marathon wing type. Tall and lean, super lean. Solid but not amazing skills. Not super strong overhead.
He spoke about his naivety and lack of professionalism when he first got picked.

Looked like a kid that would be washed through the system.

But Jase has shown he has grit, substance and a willingness to learn and get better. He is so much tougher than he looks and despite what I said in the above paragraph, he seems to lift on the AFL field, suddenly he dodges players, runs players down, works up and back all day, competes well one on one and uses it well, albeit safely. He has seemed able to lift after some early stumbles or lost contests and when those around him are down. Definitely better when everyone else is up and about but able to lift when they’re not.

Well done Jase - keep working hard.

Funny one Jase.

Not super quick or agile, not that hard running marathon wing type. Tall and lean, super lean. Solid but not amazing skills. Not super strong overhead.
He spoke about his naivety and lack of professionalism when he first got picked.

Looked like a kid that would be washed through the system.

But Jase has shown he has grit, substance and a willingness to learn and get better. He is so much tougher than he looks and despite what I said in the above paragraph, he seems to lift on the AFL field, suddenly he dodges players, runs players down, works up and back all day, competes well one on one and uses it well, albeit safely. He has seemed able to lift after some early stumbles or lost contests and when those around him are down. Definitely better when everyone else is up and about but able to lift when they’re not.

Well done Jase - keep working hard.
When we first recruited Jase the club posted a clip of Peter talking about how proud of Jase he was and how thrilled he was that he was at Port. But he also said he had told Jase in no uncertain terms that nothing was going to be handed to him, that if he wanted to be a success, it was all about hard work and dedication. I think Jase has taken that advice well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we first recruited Jase the club posted a clip of Peter talking about how proud of Jase he was and how thrilled he was that he was at Port. But he also said he had told Jase in no uncertain terms that nothing was going to be handed to him, that if he wanted to be a success, it was all about hard work and dedication. I think Jase has taken that advice well.
I reckon Peter's a pretty effective father. Must be very proud of his sons.

There was one play where we were kicking left of screen and Jase got it in the backlines and kept running for the next ball and the next one all the way to our forward 50. His style of wanting to win the game, or do as much as he can possibly to do to ensure we will, is not obvious but deep down Jase has an extremely strong will to win. Love him.

My most 'old man' sentiment is that I think it's great that we have two sons* of guns running around with their socks up. It adds to the old-school Port look.

*one adopted

Not just the look either, it's the way they play. Goes to show the whole 'get with the times, you can't have the old Port mentality anymore' thing is just rubbish.

HE'S STILL TOO SKINNKY.

Remember those crazies.
He IS too skinny .. But it hasnt held him back from still being best-22. For durability, he needs to add some weight to his frame. He has a such high ceiling, so I suppose, it adds to the excitement of just how good he can eventually become!

The genetics are obviously magnificent but his whole attitude is top shelf.
Yep. Takes more than a bloodline, but no doubt he comes from great stock (Stokes/Burgoyne). If he was a foal he would've cost millions!

So stoked to see him progress as he has. Let's hope Rome makes a similar impact...

Nah he can stay skinny, he's got good core strength but is agile like a kid and it makes him elusive.
Wanting him to stay skinny is silly. I mean, he doesnt have to stack the weight on and become BIG ... Take Butters as an example. When he arrived at Port he was "slight" of build, yet immediately was electric, and labeled a star. However, pundits rightly said he still needed to add some weight on, which he has done ... and just look at him now!

Going back to Burgoyne, he pulls off some ridiculous tackles when he gets his tentacles in, but each game he also gets easily brushed aside at times, which is clearly down to his lightness and strength.

Yes he is good, but he can become SO much better.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back