Favourite Player in Long Sleeves

Remove this Banner Ad

I just replied in the "They played for you, but are one of ours" thread, and happened to mention Brad Plain.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here, but my enduring memory of Plainy was the long sleeves.

This got me thinking, because as a kid I preferred the long sleeves, even to the extent of buying an extra guernsey to wear underneath. Probably had more to do with the fact I had stick arms as a kid, but even as an 85 kg FB/CHB in my twenties I still preferred the longies.

There have been some absolute greats wear the longies over the years, like Hirdy & Tucky, as well as some cult heroes such as Andrew Jarman (also a superb footballer) and Simon "Axe" Atkins.

There's also the category of those who donned the longies on the odd cold occassion, I can remember Ron McKeown wearing them.

I know there will be a raft of you to say "longsleeves are pissweak", but let's try to keep that out of it and remember our stick armed bretheren who donned the mighty longies!!
Tucky! As a hawk fan he was the best I saw as kid in the long sleeves. I remember being shocked when he ran out for the 87' GF in the sleeveless because it was 37 degrees. Probably why we lost, come to think of it!

For some reason I read every post on this thread!

From Port, Matthew Primus looked rather ridiculous in long sleeves but i'm sure he wore them occasionally. Others I can recall wearing long sleeves include the great Gavin, Shane Bond (or was it Troy?), Adam Hueskes, Derek Murray and John Rombotis!

Good effort with the team above too.

He cartainly did quite a bit, but I think Shane might have in his Port days from memory, not in his WCE days tho'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Player in Long Sleeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back