Fevola To Still Be At Carlton In 2010 - *MERGED*

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Judd

All Australian
Apr 7, 2008
Dandenong
AFL Club
Carlton
Guys I have a serious feeling that Fev will stay on. Carlton will only trade Fev if we get a great deal. I dont think most clubs are going to give us that, also because Fev is still a contracted player that means the other clubs would have to pay his $700K a year salary, which means clubs such as StKilda and Hawthorn wont be able to afford him as there salary cap is pretty tight, and Carlton will most certainly not pay some of his salary. The only club I can see Fev suited to is Collingwood Bulldogs and Sydney. If i know Carlton well they would never trade Fev to Collingwood, Bulldogs want Fev but dont want to give jack for him, and 700k for them is pretty steep. So the only team left will be Sydney I guess, but they will not trade O'keefe and first pick by any means...

Thoughts???

Are Carlton Bluffing?

Do you think this is all just a scare tactic to try and give Fev one final massive wake up call? I personally think that unless we receive an absolutely awesome offer for him (which who knows, we may), this has just been a stunt to scare Fev.

And, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone, are you happy with the stance CFC has taken today, whether it's a bluff or not?

Re: Are Carlton Bluffing?

The thought had crossed my mind as well. Given that he has 2 years to run on his contract, and he has to agree to the trade, he might just say that he doesn't want to go anywhere.

It also means that the club has an out if they want to use it, saying that they couldn't come to terms with another club.

Re: Have a feeling Fev will stay on

Hope so. No ones going to show their hand now, but you can be assured ALL the other top-8 sides plus the Hawks, are going through the numbers and seeing if they can get together something that'll work. These Clubs will need to uptrade their first round pick to a higher first round pick, so a 3rd party will be involved. Otherwise I guess he stays. Not enjoying this. But success demands tough decisions. :)

carlton will get rid of fevola in a heartbeat if they get a suitable trade. So no, i don't think we a bluffing.

Having said that, if we cannot get a suitable trade then Fevola stays - and he will be suspended for the first 5 games of the home and away season.

The thought had crossed my mind as well. Given that he has 2 years to run on his contract, and he has to agree to the trade, he might just say that he doesn't want to go anywhere.

It also means that the club has an out if they want to use it, saying that they couldn't come to terms with another club.

Pretty sure his contract is up at end of 2010, but i could be wrong.

Mark my words, this is a bluff.

Step 1 - $10,000 fine.

Step 2 - Publicly humiliate him and "offer" him for trade.

Step 3 - Price him out of the market in trade week. Eg: Tell the Bulldogs they can have him in exchange for Lake, Everitt and their 1st round pick.

Step 4 - Once no trade get's done come out and say "Well we tried to trade Brendan Fevola but unfortunately no deal could get done. As he is under contract for 2010 he will be retained on our list".

Step 5 - In order to mitigate any backlash, announce a Steve Johnson style punishment, banish him to Bullants pre-season, fine $$, alcohol rehab, 3 game suspension etc.

This then allows up to reap the massive Veterans List benefits from 2010 onwards and will allow us to keep the wolves (GC17 & WS18) from the door with the likes of Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer.

Plus come next contract time for Fev we can massively slash his pay due to his off field behaviour.

It's a no brainer if you ask me.

Carlton Football Club exists to win premierships NOT to produce role models.

Heck our B & F award is named after a bloke who robbed a bank during his playing days at Carlton.

The CFC media release....

"The Carlton Football Club has advised Brendan Fevola and his management that it will be working to secure a trade that will see Brendan join another club during next week's AFL Exchange Period.

The Club will make no further comment on the discussions on the future of Brendan Fevola or any other players until the Exchange Period next week and a final decision is made on his future."

Doesn't sound like a sacking or a 100% certain trade to me. Going to depend on what they can get. Making no further statement is the right thing to do, because it's still uncertain whether he'll be at the Blues next year or not. In the past we know of informal trade negotiations involving Fev and other Clubs around this time. The only difference is this year we are publically putting him on the trade table. :)

Pretty sure his contract is up at end of 2010, but i could be wrong.

quote]
you are wrong
conract ends at the end of 2011
signed a 3 year deal last year.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still doesn't change my argument above.

If anything it makes it even harder for another club to take him as they will need to pay $1.5mil over 2 years to him. Hard to pay that sort of cash with GC17 lurking. Plus no other club in the AFL would get the benefit of the Veterans List with Fev except for Carlton. Makes it a truckload easier for us to pay his wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why i believe Fevola will be a blue 2010!

Mod's you may close this thread.. but i thought i could say a few things about this fev trade. Firstly, fevola is a contracted player... tell me a player or club that has ever ended a 700k+ contract with 2 years to go? I can't recall it and i don't think the cfc would be dumb enough to lose 1.4 million and also lose a 6 time leading goalkicker and 2 time AA full forward!

Secondly, its very unlikely a club will be able to fit fevola into their cap.. im talking maybe 500k+ a year and also lose a pick or 2 for a player who just turned 29 with offield problemms and believe me carlton will make sure he doesnt go cheaply..

and finnaly for people who say his been 'sacked' and has played his last game for the navy blue.. carlton put him up for trade because carlton have had enough of his attitude and behavior.. not because his been sacked.... this a professional bluf that carlton are doing to not only proove a point but to also retain him on the list and save 1.4 million on a gun FF.
I have alot of knowledge about this fev saga because im fortinate enough to have a relative high up in the afl industry..

in conclusion carlton hopefuly can walk out of trade week saying, 'hey we put him up for trade.. and we couldn't come up with a suitable trade best for the club and brendan.. therefore fevola will be handed out a lets say, 5 week ban and will then return and play for his beloved carlton blues in 2010 and do what he does best... kick goals!!!!:thumbsu:

Re: Why i believe Fevola will be a blue 2010!

put him up for trade to show everyone they are not soft...maybe the case.

Much talk about this and deep analysis seems to me as this may in fact be a little tactical ploy by the blues. The fact that pies and saints have been nominated (2 clubs who have an unrealistic chance of making it happen) may in fact just be to ensure that there is a little chance and an excuse to ensure the trade goes ahead. Fev in his press conference seems to still see a sign of hope of staying and the way its all been set up (his contract and all) seems to suggest a little scare tactic that doesn't really entail us wanting to get rid of him. It is like a scenario is being set up where it is difficult to release him and then we can turn around and say that we tried but couldn't get the job done. Deep down inside i dont think the carlton people want to really part with him: ratts, sticks, swann etc and i reckon juddy still wants him there too despite poor examples set. Just sit easy cos who knows it mite just be another case of tht carlton smugness coming to the forefront, i think the race against time will ensure that come 2 on friday no deal will be done. Here's hoping anyway, i just can't see us without fev, it would be too weird.

i cant understand how this fev story is at the state it is. some player by the name of hurley hit and kick another human being and everyone is acting like fev has killed someone. HOW can something so bad not be talked abut or cop the same amount of S*&T that surrounds fev. Cant f**kin belive it.

Re: Have a feeling Fev will stay on

Will be very surprised if Fev is not with the blues next year.

Many clubs will baulk at his price, even if Carlton pays part of it, and at the trade required to get him. The Dogs can't fit him into the salary cap, Fev doesn't want to go interstate...
Only danger is Collingwood, and they would have to give up something pretty good. Make that very good. Doubt they would give up what's required, as it would have to be one of their "untouchables", I'd say.

Fev is staying. Relax.

i cant understand how this fev story is at the state it is. some player by the name of hurley hit and kick another human being and everyone is acting like fev has killed someone. HOW can something so bad not be talked abut or cop the same amount of S*&T that surrounds fev. Cant f**kin belive it.
He may not have killed anyone , however the guy is emotionally stunted and partially ******ed. He does absolutely nothing positive for our culture and does not lead in anyway by example on or off the field. He's probably on his 20th warning over the years for various onfield and off field misdemeaners and he just pisses on you as a sign of disrespect and shows total disregard for authority and his status, He obviously takes his position for granted , due to our soft stance on his previous cockups and just takes it for a ride. We need to change our culture and these days to be number one requires 100% commitment and nothing less.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, we will not get what we want for him so we have two options:

1. Get rid of him and take less than he is worth in the CFC's eyes

2. Hold out for what we will never get in a million years and eventually keep him

Brett Ratten and CFC will want at least a Very Good established forward or defender plus a top 10 pick or 2 First round picks.

If you look at it logically no club apart from Sydney will be able to strike a deal to include his salary also, if we are so adamant to get rid of him and do it will be for under market value purely because of his age/contract and the last uncomprimised draft in years.

We will want pick 6 and Jesse White from Sydney in the change and Paul Roos said that they wont be offering pick 6 or 22 for any reason what so ever for any player. So sydney is out.

If Hawthorn want Burgoyne they wont have enough left for us to be satisfied with and to be honest they need him least of any club in the AFL.

Saints and Collingwood seem to be the frontrunners for some reason.

St.Kilda have pick 16 which is no where near close even with a good player. They wont release Kosi or a player of dual AA calibre like Fev when they are hasing a Premiership. They probably need picks less than anyone but pick 16 is overwhelmingly under value for Fevola.

Collingwood, similar to Saints with the fact they are up the top and need a couple of A graders to add to their poor forward line. Pick 14 isnt enough, They WILL not trade 14 and Cloke and even if they did do you think ratten would accept it? i know if anything with a pick outside 10 and a player is just ludicrous and i wouldnt accept it.

I ask thequestion what do you think is the bare minimum trade for him? For me...

2 top 10 Draft picks

1 top 10 pick + Quality forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fevola To Still Be At Carlton In 2010 - *MERGED*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back