FFC 09 Trade week thread - Official ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
So i know i'm over a week early in regards to it being Trade Week but i thought it might be easier to have one thread in which we can talk about all things regarding Fremantle trading in 09.

Trade week starts on Monday 5th of October.

Currently we have these picks in the AFL Draft;

Round 1 - Draft Pick 4
Round 2 - Draft Pick 20
Round 3 - Draft Pick 36
Round 4 - Draft Pick 52
Round 5 - Draft Pick 68

With Peake Def. Going that gives us an extra lets say 3rd round pick at about #49.

If Drum goes i would hope for a second or third round pick, 2nd round espically if Peake gets us a 3rd rounder. So lets say Drum goes for about pick #32.

Tarrant stays.

Which would then give us in the AFL Draft;

Round 1 - Draft Pick 4
Round 2 - Draft Pick 20
Round 2 - Draft Pick 32
Round 3 - Draft Pick 36
Round 3 - Draft Pick 49
Round 4 - Draft Pick 52
Round 5 - Draft Pick 68

Which i would be happy with.

So "up for trade" are;

Marcus Drum - Most Likely
Brett Peake - Definately
Chris Tarrant - Maybe

What do you guys think we would get for Drum or Peake? Package both together maybe?

Sorry might sound like a stupid question. (been overseas for 3 weeks)

But has Dodd resigned?

If not, wouldnt mind trading him either.

So i know i'm over a week early in regards to it being Trade Week but i thought it might be easier to have one thread in which we can talk about all things regarding Fremantle trading in 09.

Trade week starts on Monday 5th of October.

Currently we have these picks in the AFL Draft;

Round 1 - Draft Pick 4
Round 2 - Draft Pick 20
Round 3 - Draft Pick 36
Round 4 - Draft Pick 52
Round 5 - Draft Pick 68

With Peake Def. Going that gives us an extra lets say 3rd round pick at about #49.

If Drum goes i would hope for a second or third round pick, 2nd round espically if Peake gets us a 3rd rounder. So lets say Drum goes for about pick #32.

Tarrant stays.

Which would then give us in the AFL Draft;

Round 1 - Draft Pick 4
Round 2 - Draft Pick 20
Round 2 - Draft Pick 32
Round 3 - Draft Pick 36
Round 3 - Draft Pick 49
Round 4 - Draft Pick 52
Round 5 - Draft Pick 68

Which i would be happy with.

So "up for trade" are;

Marcus Drum - Most Likely
Brett Peake - Definately
Chris Tarrant - Maybe

What do you guys think we would get for Drum or Peake? Package both together maybe?

I think we would be lucky to get anything for peake, who lets face it, is a very ordinary footballer. Drum, well i would hope we would get a 3rd rounder for, 2nd rounder would be great, but again, he hasnt been getting games for one of the bottom sides, so who really is going to offer anything?
finally, as much as i love him as a player, i think tarrant should be traded, the fact is, is that he is gone at the end of next year, if we can do a deal where tarrant and drum go to stkilda for pick 16 and up grade our fourth round pick to their third round.. then i think we should jump at it.

we are still well short of quality mids and KPP, hopefull with those picks we can get ourselves a group like this:

Morabito
Black
Melkshaw
Colyer
Sewell

If that were to happen, id be pretty freaking stoked

i think we could get peake for a 2nd round pick with the saints if we are really really lucky
drum could possibly go with tarrant for a first round pick which would be awesome

For the first time I feel comfortable with the club doing what is best for the club in the long term. I have never been able to say that before, with the club selling out most years. I hope the club picks up as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible. Load up with kids and show some faith!

For the first time I feel comfortable with the club doing what is best for the club in the long term. I have never been able to say that before, with the club selling out most years. I hope the club picks up as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible. Load up with kids and show some faith!

Hopefully we can get 2nd/3rd round draft picks for Peake,Tarrant & Drum!

I still think Tarrant + Peake will be a deal for St.Kilda for Pick 16 +Player or another Pick

Anyways hopefully we can develop this Club with youth and in 2,3 or 4 years time have succes:thumbsu:

We should trade Tarrant for the long term benefit of the club as he would (should) get us another first rounder but it leaves a massive hole in our backline. Even if McPharlin goes down back losing Tarrant will upset the team balance as it has been developing last year. For example, we would probably have to play Johnson back as well as the second tall, meaning Bradley has to become the 2nd ruck/ forward option and we would be very thin on depth. The next tall options in the backline would be Grover, Thornton and Dodd. (I'm assuming Drum will be gone. If Drum stays, it is a bit better but still not as strong as with Tarrant)

I doubt we would see any improvement in our win loss ratio next year without Tarrant, which puts Harvey in a quandary. Harvey needs to improve the team's performance as measured by ladder position &/or win/loss ratio to keep his job and Tarrant would be essential to that. However, trading Tarrant gives us more chance of getting a bunch of good young kids into the side to supplement last years crop plus Palmer and Mayne (yes, and maybe Hinkley as well, Chris) from the previous year and provides a better platform for the future.

I'm in favour of trading Tarrant while he has good currency and because we will probably only get next year from him. It will cause us more pain and I'd hate to see him go, but in the bigger picture, I think it would be a good move.

Round 1 - Draft Pick 4
Round 1 - Draft Pick 15 - Tarrant
Round 2 - Draft Pick 20
Round 2 - Draft Pick 32 - Drum
Round 3 - Draft Pick 36
Round 3 - Draft Pick 49 - Peake
Round 4 - Draft Pick 52
Round 5 - Draft Pick 68

Now that is looking good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the board and Harvey will have to be together on the Tarrant issue one way or another.

If Harves has the balls to trade Taz for the long term good of the club (which IMO he should) the board should provide him with assurances that it will be taken into account when looking at the win/loss ratio of next year. Otherwise Harves is on a hiding to nothing.

I think the board and Harvey will have to be together on the Tarrant issue one way or another.

If Harves has the balls to trade Taz for the long term good of the club (which IMO he should) the board should provide him with assurances that it will be taken into account when looking at the win/loss ratio of next year. Otherwise Harves is on a hiding to nothing.

Have to Agree with both you esti and Sel.

I think if Harvey does trade Tarrant he would have gotten the ok from the powers that be, because as you say without him down back next year we will have more holes and that won't help our win/loss or ladder position.

Funny... go back 12 months and Tarrant was never going to be seen in the backline, Its a credit to Harvey and Tarrant with the fact that they had the guts to make that decision and it has saved Tarrant's career and maybe even helped the FFC in the future.

I'd say trade him for the right price. Pick 16 would be Awesome and about Par espically seeming as though as a defender he could play for another 2-3 years and to a team like Geelong or St.Kilda that would be right in their window.

Keep Tarrant . Winning games is also a good development tool....

And I want to win ...games...Selfish as it may be..

It also keeps the backline stable for the other positions that can be developed around the Fullback.

Because we are getting quite a few back from injury and the additional players, we need some stability there so they can slide them right in.

Otherwise we are shifting and covering too many spots with players out of their normal position(s).

Trade Tarrant, keep Drum. Put him at CHB round 1 give him the chance to step up.
Doubt it will happen but that's what I'd like to see.

Probably the right move, though Drum is not the player Tarrant is so it is still a bit of a stop gap measure. It also depends on how badly Drum wants out. Is he going to have the right attitude if not traded as he has requested? It must be a question mark given a lot this year he was thought to have a poor attitude after being sent back to the WAFL to work on things. In his favour, he played well in the last 4 games when he returned.

Esti is spot on. Harvey and the board need to be together on this one.

yep :thumbsu:

the pressure is going to be intense though, the media will be relentless on harves when we have a 2-16 win/loss record, but we HAVE to stick to our guns and develop a team ready for sustained success

yep :thumbsu:

the pressure is going to be intense though, the media will be relentless on harves when we have a 2-16 win/loss record, but we HAVE to stick to our guns and develop a team ready for sustained success

Geeze your a half glass full kind of guy.You state as though it is written in stone that we will have a worse strike rate in 2010 than 09 even though our younguns will get in a full pre season and Johnson,Crowley etc will return to add the depth we lacked 09.At the moment and for the next 6 months all sides are equal 0 wins ,0 losses ,lets leave it at that and let the optimists among us to have a little hope for 010

Geeze your a half glass full kind of guy.You state as though it is written in stone that we will have a worse strike rate in 2010 than 09 even though our younguns will get in a full pre season and Johnson,Crowley etc will return to add the depth we lacked 09.At the moment and for the next 6 months all sides are equal 0 wins ,0 losses ,lets leave it at that and let the optimists among us to have a little hope for 010

unfortunately i think we are in for a much tougher 2010 than 2009.... the kids are great, but if we lose tarrant (which i think we should) then i think the floodgates will open. hasleby and pav arent any younger, and we have no KPP backups. i expect next year that we will push for the wooden spoon... cant see it happening any other way :(

unfortunately i think we are in for a much tougher 2010 than 2009.... the kids are great, but if we lose tarrant (which i think we should) then i think the floodgates will open. hasleby and pav arent any younger, and we have no KPP backups. i expect next year that we will push for the wooden spoon... cant see it happening any other way :(

Wouldnt you hope that the improvement in Hill.Suban,Broughton,Ibbo,De Boer,Balla,the list goes on,next season would more than compensate for the maybe loss of one player. If the young guys cant step up and take up the slack and improve our win loss in 010 we may as well shut up shop and close the club now.No one is talking about cups or top 4 spots but gradual improvement ,otherwise its all a waste of everyones time:confused:

It looks like trade week will result in a lot of trades this year. It may make it more difficult to get a good 'price' for guys like Tarrant, Drum and Peake (as hard as it is to get a good price for Peake already!).

Confirmed trades:

• Brock Mclean to Carlton for pick 11
  • Barry Hall to Bulldogs for pick ?? (likely late pick, 3rd rounder?)
Likely trades:

• Seaby (WCE) - likely 2nd rounder (Sydney or Collingwood?). Has announced he wants a trade.
  • Lovett - has announced he wants a trade. Likely 2nd rounder
  • Spangher (WCE) - young, tallish, good prospect (mid-late 2nd rounder?). Carlton interested.
  • S. Burgoyne (Port) - gun player, worth a first round pick and/or a player. Wants Hawthorn.
  • Shane Tuck (Rich) - probably worth a second/third rounder.
  • Josh Gibson to Hawthorn - announced, just have to sort out a price.
  • Andreas Everitt - searching for a new home. Carlton interested.
  • Drum/Peake/Tarrant - have all announced an intention/wish to move.
  • Brent Staker (WCE) - on the move
Possible trades:

• Bradshaw (Brisbane) - rumoured to want to come back to Vic, Brisbane have put him up.
  • Richard Hadley (Carlton) - back to Brisbane
  • Dalziel (Brisbane) - rumoured to want to come home to WA
  • Fevola (Carlton) - a biggie, lots of baggage but a gun player. Of course Sydney mentioned as a likely suitor.
  • Geelong - have mentioned they will need to trade to stay under their salary cap. Expect some guys like Stokes, Byrnes, Tenace, Gamble, Egan (injured), Lonegan, David Johnson to be put up for trade. Never know, a big name player may decide to chase more money elsewhere. Pavlich mentioned of course!
  • Andrew Walker (Carl) - rumours only.
  • Mark Williams (Haw) - to Essendon? Rumours only.
  • Luke Ball - good player, worth a late first round/early second round pick.
  • Brian Lake - still hasn't signed. Hawthorn have been mentioned.
  • Chris Knights - rumoured to want to move back to Melbourne for family reasons. Gun player.
  • Ben Mcglyn (Hawth) - linked to Sydney
  • Mitch Farmer (Port)
  • Ash Hansen (WCE)
  • Matt Mcguire (St Kilda) - has been linked to several clubs
When you look through at the quality of some of the names confirmed/likely to be traded, it becomes apparent how far down the pecking order Peake will be.

Nice summation of the activity Chinggis. A lot of those trades are in the rumor category, but it does show there should be more activity this year. THis may also work in our favour as clubs have indicated they are willing to trade and as the draft is perceived to be weaker they might be happy to give up picks.

I would not be surprised if Peake goes in the PSD, though would prefer a pick. He was apparently due to be delisted, so it is not really an issue, and he hasn't performed, but Tarrant and Drum still have potential. Tarrant can fill a real need in the right team i.e. a topping up team needing a strong tall defender. Drum should also have value as a 2nd or 3rd tall. He is only 22 or 23 (??) and has shown something so he is a potential 100 - 150 game player.

Remove this Banner Ad

FFC 09 Trade week thread - Official ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back