Preview Finals Week 1 • Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide • Saturday 9 September 2023 • 7:25 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look and our first final under Chris Fagan's tenure against the Tigers in the QF in 2019 is our biggest crowd ie. 37,478, I didn't have a look but I assume since the glory years ... would be great to beat that one.

Just had a look and our first final under Chris Fagan's tenure against the Tigers in the QF in 2019 is our biggest crowd ie. 37,478, I didn't have a look but I assume since the glory years ... would be great to beat that one.

Isn’t the issue that changes to the Gabba mean that number is impossible now - or am I wrong

Isn’t the issue that changes to the Gabba mean that number is impossible now - or am I wrong

I thought that the 2019 QF was played under similar conditions to now (there was still the premium seating area then I think)? Could be wrong. Main thing was gabba members actually showed up, and it was a big VIC club.

We've only had 1 final since then that could get even close capacity restriction wise, and it was the elimination final last year. We won't beat the crowd record on Thursday night but a home prelim against Collingwood would push whatever capacity now is.

Last edited:
I thought that the 2019 QF was played under similar conditions to now (there was still the premium seating area then I think)? Could be wrong. Main thing was gabba members actually showed up, and it was a big VIC club.

We've only had 1 final since then that could get even close capacity restriction wise, and it was the elimination final last year. We won't beat the crowd record on Thursday night but a home prelim against Collingwood would push whatever capacity now is.
Or Blues. ;)

With any luck there won’t be any where near as much oppo support.
Although that helped to add the the atmosphere at the ground.

Fox footy's 16 pundits did their finals tips today. >

3 tipped us to win the flag - Jonathan Brown, Anthony Hudson and Ben Waterworth.

10 out of the other 13 pundits tipped us as Grand Final runner ups.:sadv1:

1 tipped us to go out in straight sets ie. Chloe Molloy, she was also 1 out tipping the Swans for the flag.

7 tipped the Pies to win the flag and 5 the Demons.

Sellout crowd numbers depend on who you play.
Corporates can get their full quota when playing the clubs like Pies/Tigers.
Also, Cricket club member numbers can be vastly reduced during the H & A season.
I believe the finals are different with the AFL having control.
Lesser teams like GWS where in a knockout final we only got 30,034 a week after 37,418 for the Tigers game.

Since 2019 (2020 covid) our 4 largest crowds at the Gabba.

35,608 - Cats R22 in 2019
37,478 - Tigers QF 2019
36,470 - Dogs SF 2021
35,013 - Tigers EF 2022

The biggest crowd this year was 33,565 v Pies on Easter Thursday in round 4.
Below two paragraphs taken from Austadiums site.

In 2020, the venue received a $35 million upgrade to modernize its facilities, with upgraded public, corporate and media facilities, including new bars and venue entrances. Other improvements in recent years have included larger video screens and LED lighting.

while the highest AFL crowd is 37,478 for a 2019 Finals game between the Brisbane Lions and Richmond. While the stadium's capacity is officially 41,974 according to the venue, it has been reduced due to a number of factors including a temporary deck area behind the goals. The current capacity for AFL matches at the venue is approximately 36,000.

Ausstadiums have for a long time incorrectly stated the capacity as being 42,000.
They changed this to 36,000 sometime in 2022.

Interesting that three teams, none of whom were in the GF last year, have win the flag as the pass mark and the next rung down is make a preliminary ... getting to the GF (and putting up a good fight even in a loss) would be a pass mark for mine (even if a bit dissapointing).

Basically they are saying that two teams are destined to be 'failures' even if they come second (I suppose it is the second is first loser thing)...

3 tipped us to win the flag - Jonathan Brown, Anthony Hudson and Ben Waterworth.

1 tipped us to go out in straight sets ie. Chloe Molloy, she was also 1 out tipping the Swans for the flag.

Jono Brown..undisputed legend of the club no arguement.
All he did earlier in the year was put s**t on The Lions and further to that said several times the club won't win a flag while Hippy & Joey are the key forwards. Him along with Kane Cornes, David King & Garry Lyon then slagged off consistently about how we missed a grand final window while staring us in the face. :mad:

Now.... Browny & others loves the club, loves Hippy & Joey and thinks we are red hot favourites!!!

I hate (& I dont use the word hate often) the way great footballers like Browny, Dunstall, Lynchy & others somewhat whore theirselves out to producers who want them to spin a story rather than tell us what they think as legends of the game. I find it sad they have to do it to make theirselves relevant rather than entertain us with their wealth of knowledge being there and done what they have done. The game would be much better without the story telling and past players who are legends of the game to just tell us how they see it. Luke Hodge is probably the only person i believe does it right.

Hopefully this won't come into play but in case it does.

What if the AFL Grand Final or finals match finishes in a draw at the final siren?​

If both teams have the same score at the end of the fourth quarter, the goal umpires will confer to make sure that both scores are identical.

If a drawn result is confirmed, then both teams will have a six-minute break before the game will resume with two three-minute halves - plus time on.

Teams will change ends at the end of the first three-minute half, but there will be no break, with play immediately resuming once the players are set.

If the scores are still tied at the end of the two three-minute halves, the process of playing another two three-minute halves will be repeated until a winner is found.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the Gabba members area cancelled out during Finals? They have priority access to purchase a reserved seat, but I don't think it's walk-up and the members-only areas are opened up to the public. I was at that '19 QF and recall walking in to gate 5 in my smart attire and seeing a bunch of bogan Richmond fans wandering through the concourse.

As for a crowd figure, anything over Easter Thursday's attendance (33,500) would be great on Saturday.

Hopefully this won't come into play but in case it does.

What if the AFL Grand Final or finals match finishes in a draw at the final siren?​

If both teams have the same score at the end of the fourth quarter, the goal umpires will confer to make sure that both scores are identical.

If a drawn result is confirmed, then both teams will have a six-minute break before the game will resume with two three-minute halves - plus time on.

Teams will change ends at the end of the first three-minute half, but there will be no break, with play immediately resuming once the players are set.

If the scores are still tied at the end of the two three-minute halves, the process of playing another two three-minute halves will be repeated until a winner is found.

My heart won't be able to handle it but winning the first ever Grand Final to be decided in extra time on would be something amazing not to mention historic. Would prefer a ten goal win though if I had a choice.

Last edited:
Why does Ken want to nuke Brisbane and is Nerang outside the blast radius

Nerang is already a nuclear wasteland so would be a waste of a nuke

Gee this is a bit of a high bar as a pass mark. Although two other teams have the same.

1. BRISBANE LIONS

Pass mark:
Win the flag.

I seriously don't think I can handle the pressure of the next four weeks. I'm not built for stress.

I did laugh on the weekend gone - my son gives me so much crap about being emotionally reactive when watching a game. While he is sooo cooool.

But he absolutely lost his ... while watching the girls play and for hours after.

Suck it son, we are related. You can't continue to deny it.

Pies out in straight sets. Melbourne will beat Collingwood and then Carlton will beat Collingwood.
We beat Carlton in Preliminary Final
Port Adelaide v Melbourne Preliminary Final.
Brisbane v Melbourne Grand Final
Brisbane Premiership

Good to see Fagan talking us up and acknowledging publicly that this is our best chance to go all the way and not talking the meek underplaying cliches, I remember Leigh really used to go on the front foot in media during finals and the team used to play with confidence and aggression almost reflective of his demeanour.

Pies out in straight sets. Melbourne will beat Collingwood and then Carlton will beat Collingwood.
We beat Carlton in Preliminary Final
Port Adelaide v Melbourne Preliminary Final.
Brisbane v Melbourne Grand Final
Brisbane Premiership
I am really kinda hoping that Sydney knock off Carlton so they will have to beat Collingwood too.

I am really kinda hoping that Sydney knock off Carlton so they will have to beat Collingwood too.
Can’t see it, but anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back