First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this.

He continued to get games when he could have been dropped (probably similar to Rayner early on) because he has elite qualities and can impact a game pretty quickly. Just doesn’t do it consistently.

His first half of the year though was pretty damn good.

I’d have him in my team any day of the week because he does have that game, if not for four quarters, when he turns it on.

I really think he should replace Rich in defense to make him accountable for a season - or maybe permanently. He needs to learn to dedicate himself to a task and be able to stick at it for a whole game. He has the talent and the body for it... I'm just not sure whether it's coaching or him, but to me he wants to be on the end of the work rather than do it.

Maybe on the bench. I'm not as hot on Dev as others. He had a good finals series, but was found out against Geelong. Hopefully he can find some form, but I still think he's behind Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry, Bailey and Rayner.

Fair enough too. I wonder if some of these guys being in or out will depend on who we are playing and/or what style we are wanting to implement. If we want to go with a faster game plan, I imagine Dev will be a big part of that. If we want to go for our until now usual game plan of effectively bombing it in / controlled tempo and let the forward line do their thing, maybe not.

Great we have some depth and options. I wonder what a total run and gun / chaos ball best 22 would look like.

Great we have some depth and options. I wonder what a total run and gun / chaos ball best 22 would look like.
I also imagine wonder what a Best 23 would look like, if we had 23 clones of Neale in our disposal ;)

FB: Gardiner, Andrews, Starcevich
HB: Coleman, Adams, Rich
M: Berry, Dunkley, Bailey
HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Cameron, Daniher, Gunston
F: McInerney, Neale, McCluggage
Int: Answerth, Wilmot, Zorko, Payne
I suspect Zorko might go back to try and extend his career so therefore unfortunately Wilmot or Answerth probably miss. IMO Robertson should be there.

Zac went close to getting in my 3... I guess I cut him some slack because he's younger and this year he got a bit more attention that he'll need to learn to cope with. He'll be part of the team going forward I think because of his future upside. The others should already be at that point.

Unlike others I don't have a lot of faith in Payne going forward... I love the kid but I just don't think he is "game aware" and despite his size that will always be an issue.

Noah gets a pass for me simply because he is one of the few who gut runs 100% of the time. Yes his disposal can be off but the poor guy is usually out on his feet and exhausted covering others who know he'll make the effort. When others contribute more and he's under less pressure his disposal improved quite a bit.

For the first time in a while I think our depth is starting to build. We've had a decent 22 but beyond that we got scratchy quick. Like you say I think there is some great young talent coming through and I hope we rotate a few through the 1's this year when we can.
agree totally on Zac absolute lock, small forward with sometime in the midfield. I think he is already a good player with more upside. Not sure on Noah now, but do really like his commitment to make a contest. I feel if we just pick Payne, his game sense will improve, give him first crack instead of only picking him to cover one of Adams, Gardiner, Andrews and he likely grows in confidence. If not going to play him trade him out end of 2023.

I suspect Zorko might go back to try and extend his career so therefore unfortunately Wilmot or Answerth probably miss. IMO Robertson should be there.
If Zorko is keeping Wilmot out of the team because he is playing halfback that would be a very poor decision imo. Not just because we should be getting games into Wilmot but he is already better in that position and provides us a great deal more defensively, especially if Rich is still back there (which he should be).

B- Starcevich Andrews Gardiner
HB- K.Coleman Adams Rich
C- Berry Dunkley Mcluaggage
HF- Bailey Daniher Gunston
F- McCarthy Hipwood Cameron
FOLL- Omac Lyons Neale
I/C- Rayner, Zorko, Ashcroft, Wilmot

Emergencies
Robertson, Ah’Chee, Payne, Fort, Prior, Answerth, Mathieson, Lohmann

McCarthy is the first and by a margin. He plays a difficult role but he just goes missing too much. He spends way too much time being last to the pack and then standing there waving his arms at the umpire while the ball scoots straight past him. And the odd goal is not enough. We are at a point where we can't just keeping carrying players if we expect to win premierships. Being opportunistic is fine but you need to contribute both ways all the time.
An 8th in the B & F suggests this would be long odds. I'd hazard a guess that he's playing his role and anything more than a goal a game is a bonus.

An 8th in the B & F suggests this would be long odds. I'd hazard a guess that he's playing his role and anything more than a goal a game is a bonus.

Yep... and I get that... I thought I had even mentioned whether he was being coached that way in the post but I must have changed it.

I wonder what they percieve his role to be but... he certainly doesn't exude pressure... and nor is he dominant in his position? I just can't see how he's adding 100% value the way he's being used. We seem intent on always having a player waiting on loose ball beside the pack - which is understandable. The trouble seems at times too many want to play that part...

Either way, I can't help but think he needs to lose the "waving down the umpire and losing the focus of the pack" portion of his game - too many times he's standing there appealing and the game goes on without him.

Yep... and I get that... I thought I had even mentioned whether he was being coached that way in the post but I must have changed it.

I wonder what they percieve his role to be but... he certainly doesn't exude pressure... and nor is he dominant in his position? I just can't see how he's adding 100% value the way he's being used. We seem intent on always having a player waiting on loose ball beside the pack - which is understandable. The trouble seems at times too many want to play that part...

Either way, I can't help but think he needs to lose the "waving down the umpire and losing the focus of the pack" portion of his game - too many times he's standing there appealing and the game goes on without him.
I do think he was carrying some injuries late in the year. But I think he's one of those cases where our expectation of a player doesn't marry up to what the coaching expects of him. I did see a stat where he was top 10 in the league in score chain involvements (or something like that), but buggered if I know where to find that stat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pumped for next year.

We have so much upside for 2023.
Berry was looking so strong towards the end of this year. Rayner started finding time and space in tight situations. This poise combined with his physical attributes could see him find God Mode next year.

Hipwood played some of his best football and had a very dangerous look about him.

Before injury it look like Daniher had taken a step forward with accuracy and consistency. I'm hoping he can discover this and become a savage.

I think Andrews is going to train the house down, Kiddy Coleman will have another preseason under his belt.

Add Dunkly and Ashcroft to the mix..... $hits going to get real.

I do think he was carrying some injuries late in the year. But I think he's one of those cases where our expectation of a player doesn't marry up to what the coaching expects of him. I did see a stat where he was top 10 in the league in score chain involvements (or something like that), but buggered if I know where to find that stat.
Linc is also one of our best tacklers. Love what he brings to the team & despite what some say here, played his role significantly better than Bailey this year.

I am pumped for next year.

We have so much upside for 2023.
Berry was looking so strong towards the end of this year. Rayner started finding time and space in tight situations. This poise combined with his physical attributes could see him find God Mode next year.

Hipwood played some of his best football and had a very dangerous look about him.

Before injury it look like Daniher had taken a step forward with accuracy and consistency. I'm hoping he can discover this and become a savage.

I think Andrews is going to train the house down, Kiddy Coleman will have another preseason under his belt.

Add Dunkly and Ashcroft to the mix..... $hits going to get real.

Dunkley get it right brother

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like we need a new captain in 2023 is well. Zorko has been great, but I feel like Harris Andrews needs to be Captain and Neale Vice Captain in 2023.

HB: Coleman, Adams, Zorko
M: McCluggage, Berry, Ashcroft
HF: Bailey, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Cameron, Gunston, McCarthy
F: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale
Int: Robertson, Wilmot, Fort, Lohmann (or Answerth, or Prior, or Rich....good problem to have)

Last edited:
Int: Robertson, Wilmot, Fort, Lohmann (or Answerth, or Prior, or Rich....good problem to have)
You don’t rate Daniher?

Exciting times....I would have Payne over Adams as opposition forwards get taller n taller, unfortunately Adams is 2 short for a KPD. Just have to have Dizzy playing. Good team MD...selectors in for a fun season.

You don’t rate Daniher?
Its a tough one. I rate him, but he and Hipwood are the same build...Tall/lanky skinny and somewhat unco-ordinated. I feel like that doesnt work in a forward line.
If he plays ruck then change him for Fort. But if not, Daniher, Hipwood, and Gunston is too much for me up forward

Exciting times....I would have Payne over Adams as opposition forwards get taller n taller, unfortunately Adams is 2 short for a KPD. Just have to have Dizzy playing. Good team MD...selectors in for a fun season.
Yeah Payne is another I struggled with that I wanted in. Who knows what version of Adams will come back after that lengthy concussion.
Lyons, Ah Chee, Rich, and as mentioned just above...Daniher are also others I wanted in but couldn't find a spot.
This is 'starting 22' so obviously would change on form/injury and finding out certain things dont work so guys could make their way back in.

Its a tough one. I rate him, but he and Hipwood are the same build...Tall/lanky skinny and somewhat unco-ordinated. I feel like that doesnt work in a forward line.
If he plays ruck then change him for Fort. But if not, Daniher, Hipwood, and Gunston is too much for me up forward
Gunston is a different type to what we have on our list, tends to play a bit more of a smaller leading type forward which will be an interesting mix.
We can definitely play two taller forwards with Gunston also in there.

Gunston is a different type to what we have on our list, tends to play a bit more of a smaller leading type forward which will be an interesting mix.
We can definitely play two taller forwards with Gunston also in there.

Franklin Roughhead gunston…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back