First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Andrews Payne Gardiner
HB: Starcevich Coleman Wilmott (for pace)
Mid: McLuggage Robertson Aschcroft
Fol:McInerney Dunkley Neale
HF: Cameron Rayner Bailey
F: Gunston Hipwood Daniher
Int: Zorko Berry McCarthy Fort 5th/sub: Rich

In the mix:
Answerth, Prior, Lyons, Mathieson, Adams, Ah Chee, Fullarton

The rest (in order of games played):
Lester (?), Cockatoo, Madden, Sharp, Lohmann, Tunstill, Carter, Mcfadyen, Lane, Smith, B Coleman, Fletcher

(that gets us to 42)

The most important question for next season is who goes to Dan McStay when we play Collingwood at the Gabba in the Easter Thursday blockbuster?
That assumes he is still getting a game by then!

Starcevich Adams Gardiner
Coleman Andrews Rich

McCluggage Dunkley Berry

Rayner Daniher McCarthy
Cameron Hipwood Gunston

Foll: Oscar, Neale, Bailey
Int: Zorko, Wilmott, Robertson, Ashcroft
I think this is probably the best 22 players we've got, will be interesting how the coaches make all the positions and roles work going into next season. Personally I'd have a wing rotation of Berry, Bailey and Ashcroft then a midfield rotation of Neale, Dunkley, Hugh, Dev and Rayner. Would imagine there would be a fair bit of flexibility between guys like Bailey, Ashcroft and Dev mixing up time between mid/wing/fwd.
If there was someone that's not currently in the 22 that I'd be trying to force games into it has to be Lohmann for mine, has some really special talent in the way he moves and just makes things happen on both sides of the game.

Obviously lots of things to like about Dunkley but having listened to him talk a bit more I really like how he seems to know his strength's and weaknesses. He avoids taking the risky kicks as he knows that's not what he's in the team for, he's a big body that can bump, shepard and tackle effectively so that's what he does, he's a see ball get ball player and alongside Neale they're going to turn Hughie into an absolute star AA quality player imo. I also like how he genuinely targets area's of improvement and makes it a focus, his contested marking is something he's spoken about wanting to improve and has mentioned that he just needs to keep flying for his marks, that's not something you hear a genuine gun inside mid talk about, I can just picture him bullying smaller mids in the air as he pushes forward.

Someone I think we should attach to the hip of Dunkley is Cam Rayner, they're not similar players atm but if Cam can add the things that Dunkley does really well while maintaining his own strengths he could be something really special. A faster, more explosive, more damaging version of Dunkley that can kick 55m on either foot is one of the best players in the comp.

For me there are 3 players under real pressure next year. And I hate singling out players but I guess this is now where we are as a club...

McCarthy is the first and by a margin. He plays a difficult role but he just goes missing too much. He spends way too much time being last to the pack and then standing there waving his arms at the umpire while the ball scoots straight past him. And the odd goal is not enough. We are at a point where we can't just keeping carrying players if we expect to win premierships. Being opportunistic is fine but you need to contribute both ways all the time.

Rich is next. And, even given everything that's been said about injury, having a potent left leg shouldn't be enough to guarantee a game. Again we are a point in our development where multifaceted players who can not only use their "weapon" but contribute defensively and gut run have to either be given games or developed. I love Richy, and his loyalty. But we have to be ruthless. And Coleman and Wilmont have probably got more ability to open up a game with far quicker decision making.

The last is Adams. For the first part of the season he was incredible. The last was the polar opposite. Not sure where it was injury, mental or both. At his best he's a game saver. But he looked badly down for the last part of the season and he needs to be able turn that around. I don't have a lot of faith in Payne but if Marcus can't find form he's in trouble.

There were other obvious ones like Lyons etc, but I guess I think we've reached a point where rinse and repeat with the same team and style won't cut it anymore. The midfield will get a shake up - that's inevitable.

To win a premiership we need to reduce the gap between our best and worst. We need players who can find a way to contribute even when their form isn't great.

I don't believe in running weekly changes but getting a game should become harder than it has been in the past.
Agree those 3 need to have better seasons than the one just passed.
Some others we really need improvement from (in my opinion) are:

Zac Bailey: Needs a 4 quarter effort.
Jack Payne: Time to use is size to advantage rather than playing off his man too much
Noah Answerth: His effort is always there but needs to clean up his disposal and make better decisions when he has the ball in his hands.

Our bottom 6 next year will be a significantly better group of footballers providing we stay relatively injury free which is exciting.

Players like Fullerton, Prior, Cockatoo, Lohman, Robertson, Fort, Madden, Sharp, Tunstill & Michael are all going to have to be at their best in the VFL to be ready if/when an opportunity comes their way otherwise they will miss their chance to play senior footy in 2023.

B- Starcevich Andrews Payne
HB- Rich Adams K.Coleman
C- Mcluaggage Dunkley J.Berry
HF- Bailey Daniher Gunston
F- Cameron Hipwood McCarthy
FOLL- Omac Lyons Neale
I/C- Zorko, Rayner, Wilmot, Ashcroft

Emergencies
Robertson, Ah’Chee, Answerth, Gardiner, Fort, Lohmann, Mathieson, Prior

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alot of Lyons doubters. He will be back in the team round 1, you just watch.

B: Gardiner Andrews Starcevich
HB: Coleman Adams Rich
C: Berry Dunkley Zorko
HF: Rayner Hipwood Bailey
FF: Cameron Daniher Gunston
Fol: McInerney McCluggage Neale

INT: Fort Lyons McCarthy Ashcroft
Sub: Answerth
Emerg: Ah Chee Payne Wilmot

Position changes:

B: Gardiner Payne Gunston
HB: Zorko Adams Coleman
C: Starcevich Dunkley Berry
HF: Rich Daniher Bailey
FF: Cameron Andrews Hipwood
Fol: McInerney McCluggage Neale

INT: Rayner Lyons McCarthy Ashcroft
Sub: Fort

Emerg: Answerth, Ah Chee Wilmot

Last edited:
What do you think?

B: Gardiner | Andrews | Starcevich
HB: K Coleman | Payne | Wilmot
C: McCluggage | Berry | Robertson
HF: Rayner | Hipwood | Bailey
F: Gunston | Daniher | Cameron
FO: McInerney | Dunkley | Neale
INT: Lyons| Rich| Prior| Zorko
SUB: Ah Chee or Fort

Subject to:

Adams??
Ashcroft - to include as season progresses.

Zorko and Rich to be managed at times during the season.

Starcevich Adam’s Rich
Coleman Andrew’s Willmott

Berry McCluggage Ashcroft
Oscar Neal Dunkley

Gunston Hipwood Lohmann
McCarthy Daniher Cameron

Interchange
Robertson Rayner Zorko Bailey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing has changed….

Payne played 12 games this year, including all 3 of the finals, it’s not like he isn’t getting games.
In all likelyhood next year will be something similar, but hopefully the coaching group will start to play a bit of a rotational policy with a few players and positions not only to rest the older players but to also give younger players games.
yeap of the 12 played a couple forward and then remaining games in the backs covering for either Gardiner or Adams, that is the issue, seems to be rated behind the others, and IMO development being stalled. Still as I said good for the club.

Nothing has changed….

like the inclusion of Robertson. Neutral on Gardiner but he just signed a 3 year deal so he will be selected if picked. Of course I would like Payne included and Lohmann to pressure Linc

What do you think?

B: Gardiner | Andrews | Starcevich
HB: K Coleman | Payne | Wilmot
C: McCluggage | Berry | Robertson
HF: Rayner | Hipwood | Bailey
F: Gunston | Daniher | Cameron
FO: McInerney | Dunkley | Neale
INT: Lyons| Rich| Prior| Zorko
SUB: Ah Chee or Fort

Subject to:

Adams??
Ashcroft - to include as season progresses.

Zorko and Rich to be managed at times during the season.
Ashcroft will start. Like a good racehorse destroying them at Bm66, then first try at Bm84, there’s no reason he can’t step up immediately to AFL level.

For me there are 3 players under real pressure next year. And I hate singling out players but I guess this is now where we are as a club...

McCarthy is the first and by a margin. He plays a difficult role but he just goes missing too much. He spends way too much time being last to the pack and then standing there waving his arms at the umpire while the ball scoots straight past him. And the odd goal is not enough. We are at a point where we can't just keeping carrying players if we expect to win premierships. Being opportunistic is fine but you need to contribute both ways all the time.
Agree with this.

He continued to get games when he could have been dropped (probably similar to Rayner early on) because he has elite qualities and can impact a game pretty quickly. Just doesn’t do it consistently.

His first half of the year though was pretty damn good.

I’d have him in my team any day of the week because he does have that game, if not for four quarters, when he turns it on.

Ashcroft will start. Like a good racehorse destroying them at Bm66, then first try at Bm84, there’s no reason he can’t step up immediately to AFL level.
Having several good horses myself, everyone is different. Some can be exceptional but some average, some no good but all have to be trained and prepared otherwise success is not achieved.

Agree those 3 need to have better seasons than the one just passed.
Some others we really need improvement from (in my opinion) are:

Zac Bailey: Needs a 4 quarter effort.
Jack Payne: Time to use is size to advantage rather than playing off his man too much
Noah Answerth: His effort is always there but needs to clean up his disposal and make better decisions when he has the ball in his hands.

Our bottom 6 next year will be a significantly better group of footballers providing we stay relatively injury free which is exciting.

Players like Fullerton, Prior, Cockatoo, Lohman, Robertson, Fort, Madden, Sharp, Tunstill & Michael are all going to have to be at their best in the VFL to be ready if/when an opportunity comes their way otherwise they will miss their chance to play senior footy in 2023.
Zac went close to getting in my 3... I guess I cut him some slack because he's younger and this year he got a bit more attention that he'll need to learn to cope with. He'll be part of the team going forward I think because of his future upside. The others should already be at that point.

Unlike others I don't have a lot of faith in Payne going forward... I love the kid but I just don't think he is "game aware" and despite his size that will always be an issue.

Noah gets a pass for me simply because he is one of the few who gut runs 100% of the time. Yes his disposal can be off but the poor guy is usually out on his feet and exhausted covering others who know he'll make the effort. When others contribute more and he's under less pressure his disposal improved quite a bit.

For the first time in a while I think our depth is starting to build. We've had a decent 22 but beyond that we got scratchy quick. Like you say I think there is some great young talent coming through and I hope we rotate a few through the 1's this year when we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back