Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's all remember his contract. Reportedly over $400k a season. That would have been a big factor considered by all potential buyers.

If I am a Melbourne based recruiter/list manager, I'm not paying that salary nor am I giving up trade currency when I know I can get him for nothing on a more club friendly contract next year.

If McAsey wants to be on a list next year, he will be.

We carried Ben Davis for 6 years. We used a list spot on an injured 25 year old midfielder halfway through 2022 we had no plans of playing or re-signing.

Ya think a list spot is valuable?
Davis is a fair example. Turner, not so much, given that he was only filling a vacancy created by moving Seedsman to the LTI list.

Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler were both KPP's taken with pick 6.

Both showed absolutely nothing at AFL level and were delisted after four or so years.

The sooner we pay him out and get him off our list, the sooner both parties can move on.

Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler were both KPP's taken with pick 6.

Both showed absolutely nothing at AFL level and were delisted after four or so years.

The sooner we pay him out and get him off our list, the sooner both parties can move on.
Mitch Thorpe - pick 6 in 2007 (Hawks), delisted at end of 2009 (3 seasons) - 2 games
Beau Dowler - pick 6 in 2005 (Hawks), delisted at end of 2010 (5 seasons) - 16 games

Pick 6 curse strikes again, but we've gone back over 15 years to find a couple of examples.

We trade him - Another AFL team acknowledges he is an AFL caliber player, he signals his intent to keep playing football. We get a pick 50 for him - massive loss.

We keep him on paper and he retires. its sad and we understand, its regrettable we wish him all the best did all we could to support yada yada yada.

And I am not thinking he comes back. Nor do I think that he will be a good footballer.

A pick in the 50's aint worth anything.
Considering picks came in Dowling 43 and Bond 50 and we used 2023 picks in the process.

If that’s nothing what’s the nothing we will get for McAsey?

Really? Got a source for this?

GC wouldn't have accepted a pick this year, so maybe we kept Geelong's 3rd next year? What, a pick in the early 50s? That's the same value as what we'd have got for Fish this year, plus would probably have had to pay some of his salary.

View attachment 1576418
No source but we shall see.

When we get nothing I’m sure you’ll support the decision again

No source but we shall see.

When we get nothing I’m sure you’ll support the decision again
I don't think not getting pick 50-70 in this year's draft is anything to cry about if we get nothing next year.

Regardless of what happens next year, it's the right decision IMO.

I don't think not getting pick 50-70 in this year's draft is anything to cry about if we get nothing next year.

Regardless of what happens next year, it's the right decision IMO.
We picked up 2 players in that range using next years picks, so it’s not nothing.

Plus I’m not criticising the club here, I believe there weren’t suitors otherwise they’d do the deal.

The only criticism they deserve is wasting pick 6 on him, which is more than enough.

We carried Ben Davis for 6 years. We used a list spot on an injured 25 year old midfielder halfway through 2022 we had no plans of playing or re-signing.

Ya think a list spot is valuable?

Yes. Ben Davis was cheap backup who was a great leader and could slot in as a professional footballer whenever needed.

Turner signed a contract that was for a half season, so he could be cut at the first opportunity, if needed.

We had to pay out Brown and move two senior players to the rookie list, we had so few list spots.

We picked up 2 players in that range using next years picks, so it’s not nothing.

Plus I’m not criticising the club here, I believe there weren’t suitors otherwise they’d do the deal.

The only criticism they deserve is wasting pick 6 on him, which is more than enough.
I think it's sad - but I'm not criticising anyone.

I understand why we drafted McAsey. Wasn't the wrong thing to do - it just ended up having a bad outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's sad - but I'm not criticising anyone.

I understand why we drafted McAsey. Wasn't the wrong thing to do - it just ended up having a bad outcome.
When you’ve passed up better players and the guy you choose is a flop, it was clearly the wrong thing to do.

Recruiters get paid to pick the best players, that’s their job.

When you’ve passed up better players and the guy you choose is a flop, it was clearly the wrong thing to do.

Recruiters get paid to pick the best players, that’s their job.
Sure - but they can only do it based on the information at the time. There's a risk with every draft pick. McAsey was an appropriate pick at the time; he's just turned out disastrously.

Guesswork:

Would the contract we had McAsey on prevented us trading him?

Did we think he was going to be good and pay accordingly? I can't remember hearing dollar amounts speculated.

But if he was on reasonable coin then we would have had to pay him to play elsewhere for no trade return. May as well keep him and trust our first impressions

Guesswork:

Did we think he was going to be good and pay accordingly? I can't remember hearing dollar amounts speculated.

But if he was on reasonable coin then we would have had to pay him to play elsewhere for no trade return. May as well keep him and trust our first impressions
I’d be happy to send home home and tell him to find what ever makes him happy

Guesswork:

Possible, as overpaying 1st round picks has been in vogue recently as a retention method. It might also just be sunk cost fallacy kicking in where we've decided to just see it out to its natural conclusion, regardless of any offers on the table. After all, we didn't give an impression that we really cared about the 2022 draft, and having salary cap tied up in a 1 year deal is likely better for us then freeing some of it up now (as we could already afford Rankine).

Sam Durdin is now entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Josh Schace is on his 3rd club and entering his 8th year on an AFL list.

Jimmy Toumpas made it 5 seasons. Daniel Gorringe lasted 6 seasons across 2 clubs.

Doesn't matter what his SANFL form is. A victorian club is going to go - we have a 21 year old 197cm key defender that has 4 preseasons in an AFL system. His junior footy was good enough to be a top 10 draft pick. He has public mental health battles, so if a move home can help that we have a gem.

The AFL talent pool is tiny. He will be on an AFL list if he wants to be for at least another 2 years.

Spot on. Said the same thing when people were posting that Fog wouldn’t be on a list end of next year if he didn’t improve quickly. So many fans don’t get that key position players will always get at least 5 years and players like Fog who average a goal and a bit a game (at the start of the year) are doing enough to be kept around

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It could be argued that for a Melb club to be willing to take a punt on McAsey, he’d only be worth a 1-yr Rookie Contract. You cannot trade someone onto another club’s Rookie List.

I doubt either club (Adelaide or the Melb club) or McAsey would want to be traded for a 1-yr contract where Adelaide pay his full salary for the year with no 2nd year promises.

Instead he can draw a high salary for doing nothing in 2023 shielded by the cloak of mental health, then claim he’s good as gold by about July-August, then hopefully start afresh the following year.

I’m not sure there is a version 2.0
Whether there is a 1.0, 2.0 or 1.5...the point I was making is that I hope he clears his head and gives it a good crack with us in 2023. If he’s been playing with a foggy head for most of his time here, we’d be assessing him unfairly.

Also, I think there has to be some genuine mental fog regarding McAsey for the club to treat him so different to other young players. If they think he’s a lazy plodder, they should have delisted him already or not give him a contract extension.

Why are we using Sam Durdin as an example? He's not a good AFL player, Carlton were just uber desperate and drafted for height in the MSD since they were desperate to make the finals and had to keep him on the list for another 12 months to grab him.

He'd been out of the AFL system for 2 years by that point and no one sniffed him when North delisted him.

Back