Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Got some tickets today for the Collingwood game in Round 23.
Making the trek back to Melbourne for that one.
Also got some tickets to the Adelaide game against Port in a couple of weeks.
Couple to look forward to to see if we can witness a win away from home.

On The Roar Deal Dom Fay was saying that he has never(or could be just a long time, can not recall) seen an away win live, dates back around 14-15 losses in a row.:eek::sadv1: He is going down for this Friday nights game.

On The Roar Deal Dom Fay was saying that he has never(or could be just a long time, can not recall) seen an away win live, dates back around 14-15 losses in a row.:eek::sadv1: He is going down for this Friday nights game.
I have seen wins at GC but that is it for me.

I have seen wins at GC but that is it for me.
Seen wins at MCG, Etihad and PFS, been to Adelaide once v Port for a very close loss a couple of years before covid, can not remember what year.

2022 Semi Final win v the Demons at the G is right up there with the best/most enjoyable live games ever for me, topped off by the Jake Lever Jig.🤣 The 2020 QF win at the Gabba v the eventual Premiers the Tigers was pretty special as well.

Seen wins at MCG, Etihad and PFS, been to Adelaide once v Port for a very close loss a couple of years before covid, can not remember what year.

2022 Semi Final win v the Demons at the G is right up there with the best/most enjoyable live games ever for me, topped off by the Jake Lever Jig.🤣 The 2020 QF win at the Gabba v the eventual Premiers the Tigers was pretty special as well.
I've been lucky enough to cross off a few. Docklands 2014 was the first, Gabba 2019, Sydney Showground 2020, Carrara and Bellerive Oval 2021, SCG, Manuka Oval, Adelaide Oval and the MCG (same Semi Final) in 2022, Mt Barker 2023.

Not quite the full suite but not too bad... Be nice to tick off Perth Stadium at some stage.

I had a record of one live win total, home or away, in about 15 years (the win being the 2009 win at the SCG). :(

Never seen a win live in Victoria, for Brisbane or GWS though. And doubly unfortunately that includes two Grand Finals.

FWIW now if I make a trip up to the Gabba, I explicitly pick weekends when we're playing GC or similar.

What section? I can only see bottom level around the goals is that right?

I've managed to see wins now at the MCG (not many in a huge amount of losses), Docklands, Gabba and TIO stadium in Darwin. Could probably add Waverly Park from when I was a kid watching Fitzroy but the memory is a big hazy for them.

Perth Stadium and Adelaide Oval would probably be the next footy trips I try and line up (or maybe Tassie)

I reckon all three of todays games were impacted by BS frees late; Sicily bump, Yeo HTB and Mac Andrews rubbish free on King.
I reckon they were all absolutely spot on. Credit to the umpires for having the courage to blow the whistle late in tight games after so many were critical of them for swallowing the whistle in similar situations earlier in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they were all absolutely spot on. Credit to the umpires for having the courage to blow the whistle late in tight games after so many were critical of them for swallowing the whistle in similar situations earlier in the season.

The Sicily one was a free no doubt, but was it really down field? Felt to me like a free kick from where he was bumped.

The Sicily one was a free no doubt, but was it really down field? Felt to me like a free kick from where he was bumped.
I'm actually most comfortable with that one, out of the 3. If you think about where Sicily's kick ended up (out on the full to the left), it would have been physically impossible for the ball to end up there had he been bumped as he kicked. His kick would have been affected and ended up being sprayed to the right somewhere. Hence, we can say reasonably confidently that the bump did not affect the kick, therefore it must have come AFTER the kick. So I'm comfortable with the down field call.

Don't get me wrong, Sicily knew what he was doing and absolutely "gamed the system", both in terms of timing his kick with the intention of drawing that contact, and putting a bit of mayo on his reaction (going to ground etc). But that's still a down field free.

By the way, had the bump come during the act of kicking, it wouldn't/shouldn't have been a free kick at all, because the bump wasn't high (I don't think), and it wasn't in the back. So as long as it was in the act of kicking, no free kick at all as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah of the three to finish that was the least annoying - Ginnivan's being Ginnivan and forcing contact high was par for the annoying course and the second high contact looked like there was no whistle until the Hawks player threw his head back (despite any contact already having occurred and at best looking to be to the shoulder).

Yeah of the three to finish that was the least annoying - Ginnivan's being Ginnivan and forcing contact high was par for the annoying course and the second high contact looked like there was no whistle until the Hawks player threw his head back (despite any contact already having occurred and at best looking to be to the shoulder).
Yeah the Ginnivan free a couple of minutes before the Sicily free was clearly incorrect and an unfortunate regression to where we were a couple of years ago.

Yeo’s wasn’t a free. He’s just taking possession after literally being on hands and knees trying to get the ball off his opponent who initially had it. Yeo’s problem was that he wanted the ball and he got penalised for getting it and from his position he had no time to even consider disposing of it and it’s not like he dived on it either. If that’s free, then I guess there should be another 50 a game being paid for circumstances just like that.

Yeo’s wasn’t a free. He’s just taking possession after literally being on hands and knees trying to get the ball off his opponent who initially had it. Yeo’s problem was that he wanted the ball and he got penalised for getting it and from his position he had no time to even consider disposing of it and it’s not like he dived on it either. If that’s free, then I guess there should be another 50 a game being paid for circumstances just like that.
Prior opportunity needs to always remain. I know that a few want prior opportunity to be removed but that will kill the essence of the game.
In some cases you may not have prior but have hands free and still have an opportunity to dispose of the ball and I am happy for that to be pinned.
But in Yeo’s case, that was not the case.
Players still need to be encouraged to go after the ball.

Prior opportunity needs to always remain. I know that a few want prior opportunity to be removed but that will kill the essence of the game.
In some cases you may not have prior but have hands free and still have an opportunity to dispose of the ball and I am happy for that to be pinned.
But in Yeo’s case, that was not the case.
Players still need to be encouraged to go after the ball.
And that’s just it; in that particular instance; Yeo shouldn’t have gone after the ball because doing so was completely to his detriment as there was nothing else he could have done.

And I know the media will be all over it, but don’t give me that there was still plenty of time for Eagles still to win given North got another one. The umps completely botched the momentum of the Eagles with their wrong decision.

Yeo dragged the ball to himself with his left hand whilst on the ground. If you are tackled after doing that it is a free kick regardless of whether you get to your feet or not. This has been a clear free kick for several years and at times we have actually been beneficiaries of this.

Yeo dragged the ball to himself with his left hand whilst on the ground. If you are tackled after doing that it is a free kick regardless of whether you get to your feet or not. This has been a clear free kick for several years and at times we have actually been beneficiaries of this.
The issue is that he had the option to knock it out in the direction of a team mate or anywhere but he took possession with the express intent of forcing a ballup.

So despite the fact that Collingwood do several iterations of this tactic every week and don't get pinged it was still a clear free kick. It wasn't as if he burrowed in against strong opposition to try and get the ball out , he just stuck his claw out to sit on it.

Might to have to agree to disagree with this one Grasshopper 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back