Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not really a fan of it, just call it what it is, it's not wildcard it's a final 10 instead of 8, IMO it dilutes the finals, you will have teams making the finals who have lost more games than they have won.

I wont get my panties in a twist if it comes in though, much more concerned with them sorting out the Tribunal/MRO shemozzle.

Is there much of a difference between teams who have won 12 games and teams who have won 10 or 11?

Given the uneven draw it could even things out

Is there much of a difference between teams who have won 12 games and teams who have won 10 or 11?

Given the uneven draw it could even things out
Good point, plus it would be a Million to one that a team finishing 7th to 10th could win 5 sudden death games on the trot to win a flag.

Gerard just reported that at the CEOs conference that it has been agreed that from next year a Wildcard Round will occur after the H&A season in that week off where 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 will play to continue on in the finals.

I quite like the idea personally but no doubt will divide many.
I don't like it. It is just a money grabbing opportunity from the AFL. There is next to no chance that any team from 7-10th can make the GF let alone win it. The other teams will all have a large advantage with load management.

I don't like it. It is just a money grabbing opportunity from the AFL. There is next to no chance that any team from 7-10th can make the GF let alone win it. The other teams will all have a large advantage with load management.

Does make a big difference if you sneak into 6th. Not unlike finishing 4th or 2nd

They've only tried it in the VFL last year but the 2 winners of the wildcard round lost in the first week of finals lol

Also plugs that weekend with two Elimination Finals likely on the Friday and Saturday night.
At some stage in the future they will most likely expand it so that 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th that same weekend.

So where the current top 8 system is essentially twin final-4 systems running in parallel up to prelim final weekend, this will become twin final-5 systems, with 1st and 2nd still getting the week off.

Interesting. I'd have held off until 20 teams personally.

Good point, plus it would be a Million to one that a team finishing 7th to 10th could win 5 sudden death games on the trot to win a flag.
And those teams won’t get the bye.
Which would make it even harder.
This season is so close that it kind of makes sense to give a Wild Card round a chance.

It always felt a bit funny that we had a top 8 with 16 teams and then still that with 18 teams. Given we're moving to 19 soon enough, a top 10 is more inline with where we used to be.

Plus it'd be funny if GC misses this year and finally gets in when it's expanded. :D

But I think that’s kind of the point. They create an extra two games and remove that weekend free and yes I agree, those four teams are highly unlikely to do anything deep into the finals and I guess that is the disadvantage of finishing 7-10 which is why you don’t get an advantage.

Will probably never see a premier from that 7 / 8 spot again.
It's more to do with the AFL gaining more $$$$$ for hosting those 2 matches during the bye week.

I'm not against it being implemented in the next couple of years as a trial period before Tasmania's entry and when the AFL does inevitably expand to 20 teams (5-10 years), it would make sense to allow 50% of clubs an opportunity for finals even if it would still be beneficial to finish in the Top 4 for a shot at the premiership.

Regarding that additional $$$$$, hopefully the AFL can use that money into something useful for the benefical of the game such as improving ball / goal technology or even allow female players in AFLW to become full-time out there and run a full season product (17-18 rounds) in conjunction with the men's counterpart in winter.

However, this is the AFL after all and Dil or Kane would be definitely listening to me on here so what hope do I have :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will probably never see a premier from that 7 / 8 spot again.
We only saw one, period, right? And that was a team that got to play two games in their home town despite finishing with no home ground advantage, which is the equivalent of finishing top 2 for 50% of the competition.

I'll live.

We only saw one, period, right? And that was a team that got to play two games in their home town despite finishing with no home ground advantage, which is the equivalent of finishing top 2 for 50% of the competition.

I'll live.
Written with all the veiled hostility of a Giants fan who was at the Showground that fateful day in 2016.

I was there too.

You forgot to mention the two 8 day breaks.

Written with all the veiled hostility of a Giants fan who was at the Showground that fateful day in 2016.

I was there too.

You forgot to mention the two 8 day breaks.
It's more anti #VICBIAS than anything, as I'd rather not recall that tonight.

Not only was it crap, we also had to deal with a bub's nappy leak to double down.

Players will start doing that and then players legs will be caught up and we’ll have a spate of broken ankles and knee injuries 🤷. There’s no winning only a matter of time before we are watching Gaelic 😢

There is also differences from where the tackle started, how it started etc. Libba looks to be running in more of an arc, where as the Richmond player is running straight etc.
Also, if I was going to get tackling practise off someone it would be a wrestler, not a BJJ guy. Not that there isn't anything to be learned from BJJ techniques but wrestling would serve better IMO.

Why are the media giving a free plug to Jack Viney's brother?

Good grief Darcy Moore won't share a bedroom with his partner as they are seeking to avoid hetero normative patriarchal behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back