Remove this Banner Ad

SirRooke

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2006
Singapore
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all,

I am moving to Abu Dhabi in January and am curious to know about the local league there and if there are any Cats fans there.

I am also curious to know how i can watch the AFL whilst I am there. I am in Singapore currently and can access through Australia Network, though it seems that there is no Australia Network coverage in the Middle East. I can't bear the thought of not being able to watch Geelong for the next few years.

Cheers

Don't know about TV but when I was working O/S I used to listen to 3aw live on the internet. Rex and the boys sound VERY strange in the context of another country. People listening were amazed at the banter!

thejester during that pre season game in the UAE this year they talked about there being 2 teams of expats over there who play each other.

SirRooke you may seriously need to speak to the AFL cronies and ask for a contact.

Hi all,

I am moving to Abu Dhabi in January and am curious to know about the local league there and if there are any Cats fans there.

I am also curious to know how i can watch the AFL whilst I am there. I am in Singapore currently and can access through Australia Network, though it seems that there is no Australia Network coverage in the Middle East. I can't bear the thought of not being able to watch Geelong for the next few years.

Cheers

There is a gulf league - Abu Dhabi Falcons are the team. Play against teams from Sharja, Doha, Dubai, Muscat and next year a team from Al Ain (I think).

http://www.abudhabifalcons.com/

We get 2 games a week on Showtime - one on Sat and one on Sun + all the final games (you need to get Showtime not Orbit as these are the 2 major packages). Also get a highlights package every mon night of all the games.

Unfortunatley you need to rely on the AFL or Bit T for the other games, or just listen via the net. AFL has been ***** hopeless but I still try.

Plenty of Aussies over here and I know a few Cats supporters in Dubai.

SirRooke, interesting to hear you're moving to the Dharbs. I was a couple days from signing up to go there but ended up snagging a job in Edinburgh, instead. Might end up there in a couple years.

Anyway sounds like you've got enough advice here but I've got lots of footy-mad mates there so if you like, I can ask them what the story is. I remember one of them telling me there was a couple channels/networks you could get, but then again he was also relying on AFL.com.au (or their overseas affiliate) for replays and was bagging it out.

Good luck with it all!!!

BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy in United Arab Emirates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back