Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

TLDR: I think Liam Henry wanted to move to St Kilda football club because of the reputation of St Kilda the suburb.

Last week Henry spent 10 minutes talking to the media. Henry IMO is currently outrageously overrated and is trading at a ridiculous price to earnings ratio.

How I would love to short Henry stock. The media seem to love him because he is recognisable and his interest in fashion makes for a nice human interest story.

I've watched his games closely and he does SFA hovering a few metres in front of the contest asking someone to give it to him.

He's averaging 0.7 goals a game but when he does happen to kick one or two they seem more memorable to everyone for some reason. Commentators will then attribute qualities to Henry's game that are true not to reality but to the narrative of a fast outside skillful indigenous player with tremendous vision and classy execution.

I can see where the misattribution comes from. High draft pick, skinny, indigenous, left a defense focussed club and seems to love the limelight.

The bizarro thing for me is that he went to a Ross Lyon coached St Kilda team. He said it was a dream come true to have played in front of 70000 at the MCG. It doesn't seem to make sense but I think I've got it figured out.

In the presser there is a weird (for a footballer) moment where he talks about liking it better in the colder Melbourne climate. He said this was because it allows you to wear puffer jackets and suits as opposed to Perth and Broome where there isn't much you can do to dress up in shorts and a singlet.

I think Liam Henry wanted to move to St Kilda the suburb not St Kilda the club.

TLDR: I think Liam Henry wanted to move to St Kilda football club because of the reputation of St Kilda the suburb.

Last week Henry spent 10 minutes talking to the media. Henry IMO is currently outrageously overrated and is trading at a ridiculous price to earnings ratio.

How I would love to short Henry stock. The media seem to love him because he is recognisable and his interest in fashion makes for a nice human interest story.

I've watched his games closely and he does SFA hovering a few metres in front of the contest asking someone to give it to him.

He's averaging 0.7 goals a game but when he does happen to kick one or two they seem more memorable to everyone for some reason. Commentators will then attribute qualities to Henry's game that are true not to reality but to the narrative of a fast outside skillful indigenous player with tremendous vision and classy execution.

I can see where the misattribution comes from. High draft pick, skinny, indigenous, left a defense focussed club and seems to love the limelight.

The bizarro thing for me is that he went to a Ross Lyon coached St Kilda team. He said it was a dream come true to have played in front of 70000 at the MCG. It doesn't seem to make sense but I think I've got it figured out.

In the presser there is a weird (for a footballer) moment where he talks about liking it better in the colder Melbourne climate. He said this was because it allows you to wear puffer jackets and suits as opposed to Perth and Broome where there isn't much you can do to dress up in shorts and a singlet.

Heh

"Fashion Reasons"

Heh

"Fashion Reasons"

Reminds me of Ian Thorpe's interest in fashion.

Thorpe insists in his book that, "for the record, I am not gay and all my sexual experiences have been straight". He argues that his interests in fashion and art and "beautiful things" have led to mistaken assumptions about him. His sexuality really doesn't matter

As a supporter a players' sexuality is only relevant in so far as it affects us winning or losing games. So retaining talent and providing a welcoming safe club where players can get the most out of their talent is what all clubs should aspire to. Also as a football nuffie my next thought goes to father/son drafting what loopholes need to be closed and/or exploited.

All laughing aside I think this is fairly accurate. I don't think it's unreasonable Henry might end up delisted inside 3, maybe 4 years from now having barely made a dent in the football side of things; .... if he finds fashion/modelling and that world an area of success......good luck to him. But based on current output, effort and desire he was 100% no longer a fit for Freo even if he wanted to stay. I know the club wanted him to stay, but I'm glad he's gone - peacock player, flashing his false dawn wares. He wasn't recruited to be, but even so - he's no difference maker at the Saints, they got lured by something they found irresistible....which clearly isn't there. Probably a strange trade for them in retrospect. He chased the bright lights/big city aspect of things over East and it's probably only a matter of time before it's a distraction to his football, which I get the feeling only suits him if he looks like a flash in the pan (he occasionally hits the "spotlight" with a nice move/goal...whatever) and robotic sycophants in the commentary box are mystifyingly fapping over him. Based on current trajectory, a pick 25 or higher is deliciously overs. He is (and probably was always going to be..) vastly overrated and not that football-focused I'd imagine

TLDR: Chris Mayne what a jerk

Lately I've been wondering about what happened to Jaiden Stephenson. My initial memory was of Collingwood being brave to pick him at 6 because of a heart issue. Then Collingwood being lauded for picking him after he won the rising star. Then some silly stuff. BMX bikes betting and now it's five years later and nobody looks more scared and depressed than Jaiden Stephenson. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Oh. Whilst looking up Jaiden I ran into a little tidbit where Chris Mayne got a mention. The weird thing is this isn't this Chris Mayne that we know. Cuddling puppies and what not. This is Chris Mayne evil money grubber who would like to wear a coat made out of puppy fur.

May 2023

The charismatic forward (Stephenson) also revealed he was almost forced to part with an eye-watering $10,000 sum just for wearing his favourite number, 16, while at the Magpies.

'I always had No.16 on my back growing up, for Jonathan Brown; loved him, mad Brisbane supporter,' Stephenson said.
'And then after I obviously had my first year in 35, I knew I had to change numbers, and Chris Mayne was in 16.

'I said to Mayney, "C'mon, mate, your career's nearly done, how about you give me 16, and you can just move to another number for your last couple of years?".

'He (Mayne) goes, "Stevo, if I see an envelope with $10,000 cash in my locker, you can have 16".' Through gritted teeth, Stephenson thought it was just a bit too steep for a number, and begrudgingly chose no. 1 instead

In conclusion Chris Mayne is a jerk (according to podcast enthusiast/conspiracy theory "free thinker.")

The above posts don’t really jibe with the reports from our players that he is a very hard trainer. Suggests a decent work ethic.

What I didn’t like was reports he dropped his bundle when sent back to the reserves.

Compared with Sturt who has nothing but good things to say about the messaging around his need to improve areas of his game.

Wow listening to the press conference is even more jarring re moving east to wear puffer jackets lol. Besides that, he is definitely much better in front of the mic this year

Actually pretty impressed with how positive he was about Freo. I think tbf he probably has a point about Jlo being a system coach which doesn't suit him as well. Pretty happy with how everything landed overall.

Speculating obviously, but I'd suggest Chopper was having a lend of JS there. But he took it seriously. Which should reinforce to us all we need to be very careful in the workplace when we make jokes.

Wow listening to the press conference is even more jarring re moving east to wear puffer jackets lol. Besides that, he is definitely much better in front of the mic this year

Actually pretty impressed with how positive he was about Freo. I think tbf he probably has a point about Jlo being a system coach which doesn't suit him as well. Pretty happy with how everything landed overall.
Always interesting comparing the guys who are happy to play anywhere any role as long as it benefits the team vs the guys who care more about their own game than the team game.

Speculating obviously, but I'd suggest Chopper was having a lend of JS there. But he took it seriously. Which should reinforce to us all we need to be very careful in the workplace when we make jokes.

I think the ego of a teenager thinking he can ask a senior player to give up his number for him would be enough to explain why the playing group weren't exactly knocking the door down to stop the club trading him out shortly after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon is in Victoria? Interesting.
Always talented, just work ethic/tank not there
He was far too lazy in his time at Fremantle.
I watched training a lot back when he started. He spent most of his time in the group that needed more fitness work. I never saw him take part in full time training once.
Talent in abundance, but the will to succeed was never there.Couldn't even make it at the Eagles.
Potential never turned into performance.

A couple of previous players are Meek at the Hawks and Tucker at the Roos.
Meek has had an impact with the Hawks. He has been in and out a couple of times, but seems to be their pick for number one ruck at the moment.Was never going to fit in with Freohaving Darcy, and Meek not a forward.

Tucker has been an almost constant since moving tho the Roos. Not a star, but still filling the role he is given.Even now with them playing far better, and relying on youth, he is able to maintin his place in the team.
not a star but a weekly performer.A bit like Hughes at Freo.Both battlers who know their role.

Dixon is in Victoria? Interesting.
Always talented, just work ethic/tank not there

Yes, Dixon in Victoria after playing in EF's 2023 premiership. 25yo - maybe still has hopes to be in the first Tasmanian squad.

I was having a dive into the VFL stats earlier. The other ex-Freo player that I saw was Tobe Watson playing with Port Melbourne.

There's couple of ex-Peel players too. Roy George, a small forward, has played one VFL game and kicked 3 goals, and Wade Derksen, who had half a season before being drafted by GWS and is still on their list, seems to be playing as a defender.

Moves away from a ‘system coach’ in JL to play for the system coach to end all system coaches in Ross the boss.

Doesn’t seem like he’s thought that one through. Dumb enough to be brainwashed by that w**ker manager of his.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back