Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

That match against the Dees in 2019 is such a sliding doors moment. We could have entrenched ourselves in the top 8 and we were on top of the Dees before the Hogan and Hill injuries.

Instead we fell away in the second half of the season, missed finals and Lyon was sacked.
Feels like every season from that 2017-2019 period we ended up in the top 8 half way through the season, were looking good and then all of a sudden we'd just lose like the last 9 games every year.

I'll never get the mentality of genuinely being upset or hating a player for leaving, at the end of the day, that's sport, players come and go. Who am I to hate someone for making the best choice for themselves? Neale never personally did anything to **** us over.

Don’t care what anyone says out of everyone that’s left I’m so happy for Neale and if we don’t win it next year I hope he goes back to back
I don't understand how any Freo supporter in their right mind could feel happy for him. It irks me when I hear this.

Although his decision to chase glory (and money) has now been vindicated, it doesn't change the fact that he's a mercenary and jumped ship when things got too tough. He's not the kind of guy you want with you in the trenches and I'd be pretty confident in suggesting that he would have jumped ship if Brissy fell of a cliff for some reason. He even wanted to come back to us during COVID when everyone in his club were subjected to the same restrictions and were having to deal with the same family issues. This is the character he is. He's transactional.

If memory serves me correct, his Manager was doing the Q&A on this very board around the time he decided to leave and we were all given lip-service about his commitment to the club and the future. Tim said he (Lachie) believed in the direction the club was heading and was committed to Freo for the long term. Well, we all saw how that turned out.

For all of Hogan's issues that he brought on himself, most people could see that he had to go to Sydney to work on himself and his mental health, and get out of the spotlight. Although I'm disappointed he couldn't fulfill his potential with us, I'm genuinely happy for him and where he's at now. Cerra returned home to his family and went to a club that could do the best deal for us because football for him "is just a job" at the end of the day. Neale's situation was nothing like this. He served his contract and provided good service to our club, but he stopped believing in us. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but as a member/fan, that doesn't sit right with me and it left a really bad taste, particularly after what his Manager told us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how any Freo supporter in their right mind could feel happy for him. It irks me when I hear this.

Although his decision to chase glory (and money) has now been vindicated, it doesn't change the fact that he's a mercenary and jumped ship when things got too tough. He's not the kind of guy you want with you in the trenches and I'd be pretty confident in suggesting that he would have jumped ship if Brissy fell of a cliff for some reason. He even wanted to come back to us during COVID when everyone in his club were subjected to the same restrictions and were having to deal with the same family issues. This is the character he is. He's transactional.

If memory serves me correct, his Manager was doing the Q&A on this very board around the time he decided to leave and we were all given lip-service about his commitment to the club and the future. Tim said he (Lachie) believed in the direction the club was heading and was committed to Freo for the long term. Well, we all saw how that turned out.

For all of Hogan's issues that he brought on himself, most people could see that he had to go to Sydney to work on himself and his mental health, and get out of the spotlight. Although I'm disappointed he couldn't fill his potential with us, I'm genuinely happy for him and where he's at now. Cerra returned home to his family and went to a club that could do the best deal for us because football for him "is just a job" at the end of the day. Neale's situation was nothing like this. He served his contract and proved good service to our club, but he stopped believing in us. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but as a member/fan, that doesn't sit right with me and it left a really bad taste, particularly after what his Manager told us.
The Q&A was like 2015 or 2016, and he'd signed an extension with the club since then

For all of Hogan's issues that he brought on himself, most people could see that he had to go to Sydney to work on himself and his mental health, and get out of the spotlight. Although I'm disappointed he couldn't fulfill his potential with us, I'm genuinely happy for him and where he's at now. Cerra returned home to his family and went to a club that could do the best deal for us because football for him "is just a job" at the end of the day. Neale's situation was nothing like this. He served his contract and proved good service to our club, but he stopped believing in us. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but as a member/fan, that doesn't sit right with me and it left a really bad taste, particularly after what his Manager told us.

Neale is far from a mercenary, he wasn't happy with the direction Fremantle was going and looking back absolutely fair enough. Your anger should be directed at the club not the player.

The Q&A was like 2015 or 2016, and he'd signed an extension with the club since then
Thanks for clarifying this. If it was post 2015 then I still feel like this is a relevant point to bring up. He left at the end of 2018.

Lachie knew where we were at as a club and that the rebuild process was going to take time. That was what was conveyed to us atleast.

But he didn't want to put in the time and effort and be part of that journey, and instead went to a club that was more advanced than us in their own rebuild. It still doesn't sit right with me as a fan, but you know, each to their own. 🤷‍♂️

Ah yes the Shane Kersten recruitment. Joint leading goalkicker for 2017 for us.
Kersten, Bennell, Blakely, Yarran (RIP) and 'virgin dog' rants, the mid week drinking that was going on, the budding boobs stuff. The club was a laughing stock.
“No reason to stay in WA” except for his wife, who was from WA.
Wives will come with you if you get a better job. He didn't have any family in WA - no reason to want to hang around.

Neale was offered the money Dayne Beams walked away from when he engaged discussions to leave the Lions in the middle of the season. He had two huge years of salary, over two million reasons to move.

Kersten, Bennell, Blakely, Yarran (RIP) and 'virgin dog' rants, the mid week drinking that was going on, the budding boobs stuff. The club was a laughing stock.

Wives will come with you if you get a better job. He didn't have any family in WA - no reason to want to hang around.

It's easier to just blame the player leaving and call them a mercenary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back