Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People on here are getting a little too excited re; the compensation for Buddy.....its going to end in tears. The fact is they can get him for free, everybody knows this. Buddy owes us nothing. We gave him a start looked after him, he gave/helped us win a premiership and 8 years of wonderful football with pure visual entertainment every week. Buddy ain't going to jeopardize his contract so that we get a better return and GWS arent going to jeopardize there list. They want multiple senior players on top of Buddy, parting with there number 1 pick for Buddy puts a clamp on that. They will also not part with any of there young guns as trade bait unless forced too...ie: Go home factor/out of contract.

They can't get him for free without AFL assistance, and in playing by a different set of rules. That is the difference here and its a massive one. This isn't free agency, if it was Buddy wouldn't have a chance of leaving the club he loves for that shit AFL run experiment. This is about offering him money out of this world, and the AFL breaking their own rules to suit their own agenda, and taking our best player, our franchise player, as if they are not doing anything wrong. If they take him with this extra AFL money outside the cap, and expect us to say, "here's pick 18" or "pick 20" guys, then I doubt we will be smiling and saying, "Thanks very much".

They can't get him for free without AFL assistance, and in playing by a different set of rules. That is the difference here and its a massive one. This isn't free agency, if it was Buddy wouldn't have a chance of leaving the club he loves for that shit AFL run experiment. This is about offering him money out of this world, and the AFL breaking their own rules to suit their own agenda, and taking our best player, our franchise player, as if they are not doing anything wrong. If they take him with this extra AFL money outside the cap, and expect us to say, "here's pick 18" or "pick 20" guys, then I doubt we will be smiling and saying, "Thanks very much".

I'm not arguing that the whole situation isn't corrupt....it very much is so. But Our predicament leaves GWS with the upper hand....and makes getting the number 1 pick nothing more than a pipe dream

I'm not arguing that the whole situation isn't corrupt....it very much is so. But Our predicament leaves GWS with the upper hand....and makes getting the number 1 pick nothing more than a pipe dream

Would GWS give us anything at all if they don't have to? Of course not. But, once again, lets not pretend this is up to GWS, without the AFL they aren't in this trade.

People are applying two different sets of rules for the one situation, its absolute madness and nobody should accept it, not even a little bit. One set of rules is that AFL are paying him outside the cap to get him over, that they can use money no other club has available in order to poach the player they want, because if they act inside the rules Hawthorn have to play by, they can't get him. Then, if the trade happens because of this, some are applying a different set of rules to work out his compensation, the one Hawthorn has to play by, but the not the AFL and GWS. Some in the media and on forums are saying, "this is the rules for everyone, this is the nature of free agency, st kilda lost goddard this way". This is not the nature of free agency, this is the AFL breaking their own rules to get what they want.

I don't pretend to know what will happen, I am not even convinced Buddy will leave us, but if the AFL use money outside the cap after just recently banning third party payments, I would suggest they will feel they will leave themselves wide open for enormous ridicule if we do not get adequate compensation for losing our franchise player. Eddie is already saying if the AFL do this, it will be tipping point for many people.

"But they may have to trade out and sacrifice young talent to make it happen." Why would Vlad say this?

I am not saying, "pick 1 is ours", nor am I saying Buddy is definitely leaving (I'm hopeful he will stay).My point is I believe if he does leave, I can see a situation where GWS are forced to do a trade with Hawthorn to get Buddy, due to AFL involvement as they know that the only reason he is going is due to their involvement. The AFL know it, GWS know it, Hawthorn know it, and the public will definitely know it if we are only given pick 18-20.

The best news would be Buddy saying that he will remain a Hawk forever, could you imagine the disappointment of the AFL and Sh1t head Demetriou.

I'm still hopeful that Buddy will stay, I could not imagine Buddy playing in front of 5K- 10K at GWS

He likes the big stage and performing on the MCG. And he will make good money out of Hawthorn

I too have always been quietly confident that Buddy will stay, grabbing onto every little reason for why he will stay, but after taking in some good points in this thread, as much as I admire Buddy as a player and want him to stay, the club is better off without him. It's not like he's our only forward and maybe, just maybe we can get Buddy to help us out in the deal, possibly telling GWS the only way he's going there is if a trade is made, getting the Hawks a young inside midfielder that we do need, and getting rid of Buddy at the same time. (I'm not sure if Sign & Trade deals are possible in the AFL, but it worked kinda well with LeBron in 2010).

I too have always been quietly confident that Buddy will stay, grabbing onto every little reason for why he will stay, but after taking in some good points in this thread, as much as I admire Buddy as a player and want him to stay, the club is better off without him. It's not like he's our only forward and maybe, just maybe we can get Buddy to help us out in the deal, possibly telling GWS the only way he's going there is if a trade is made, getting the Hawks a young inside midfielder that we do need, and getting rid of Buddy at the same time. (I'm not sure if Sign & Trade deals are possible in the AFL, but it worked kinda well with LeBron in 2010).
I just can't see how we'd be a better team without him. Yes, we would continue to be successful, but his ability to step up in the big games isn't to be under-estimated (IMHO :) ).

I just can't see how we'd be a better team without him. Yes, we would continue to be successful, but his ability to step up in the big games isn't to be under-estimated (IMHO :) ).

True mate, he showed how special he was on Sunday when he kicked those 2 quick goals but I think we'll be alright if we lose him.

If we win the flag this year and there was any possible situation where Buddy goes to GWS and we get pick 1, I'd take it in a heart beat.

Well we won't win the flag, buds is gone and we are getting pick 20.

Deal with it ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are a destination club and they are good at getting their man. I didn't expect Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Lake, Gunston etc to cross over but the Hawks managed it.

Therefore I imagine that they have a major contingency plan for Franklin leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Riewoldt hasn't signed with Richmond pending the outcome of this.

Hawthorn won't be increasing the offer and want an answer shortly so they can plan for list management.

Remember it all starts the Monday after the GF. I think this will come to a head in August.
Wrong
Only yesterday in an interview in the paper (The Age)? Andrew Newbold said we will give him a revised offer WHEN HE IS READY to sit down and talk about his contract, and they hope it will be sooner rather than later

Did anyone pay attention to Vlads comments the other day.

Mentioned that he was not getting involved in GWS recruitment of Franklin(yet said an ambassadorial role would be possible - which is clearly getting involved)

and went on to say that any ambassadorial role would only be discussed AFTER franklin signs an initial contract with GWS, obviously to ensure they are "keeping out of things"

Read between the lines here. The only reason for this absolute ARSECLOWN saying this, is so there is no leg for Hawthorn to stand on in regards to being able to complain about not being able to match a free-agency offer due to this AFL money.

Does this idiot honestly believe that we believe that Franklin's manager would not know the EXACT sum that the AFL are going to give Franklin outside the GWS cap BEFORE he moves to that S**thole????!!!!

If the AFL are giving another sum above what we can't match, then we should get extra compensation.

Its an absolute Joke.

We all know that the AFL are up to this deal up to their necks! Ok let's call their bluff here. For instance all we have to do is match the GWS offer before the additional ambass. fees. I know this will strain our salary cap but if Buddy is intent on leaving us we need the correct compensation.
I'm sick of us getting screwed over by those flogs at Docklands, too many to mention here. Make that our agenda & if Franklin wants to do the right thing by our great club, he should to say to GWS if you want me, trade for me. That #1 pick should be ours for Buddy.
I for one would love Buddy to play his whole career with us & what a stitch up for the fat controller it would be if he stayed with us. All I want is a fair outcome for losing a great of the game & I don't want those serpents at the AFL having it over us again! Go Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back