Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Newbold has written a mid season report..
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-07-03/president-andrew-newbolds-midseason-report.workstation

You know, thinking about Buddy going, which he will, I wonder whether we have spoken to Riewoldt's manager,(on the side of course) and will offer him a lot more than the tigers will. Pending about when Buddy tells the club he will leave our family club, maybe,JUST maybe Riewoldt will come to our club .JR hasn't signed with the tigers yet, he is withholding his decision obviously. Could that happen behind the doors?Or am I imagining?Probably..:rolleyes:

Andrew Newbold has written a mid season report..
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-07-03/president-andrew-newbolds-midseason-report.workstation

You know, thinking about Buddy going, which he will, I wonder whether we have spoken to Riewoldt's manager,(on the side of course) and will offer him a lot more than the tigers will. Pending about when Buddy tells the club he will leave our family club, maybe,JUST maybe Riewoldt will come to our club .JR hasn't signed with the tigers yet, he is withholding his decision obviously. Could that happen behind the doors?Or am I imagining?Probably..:rolleyes:

I believe we're well stocked in that department.

Dustin Martin however....

If anything I wouldn't put it past GWS to use Franklin as a smoke screen to target Riewoldt. The whole Franklin-GWS is playing out way to publically for it to be a viable target IMO.

Franklin and Fremantle on the otherhand...

Or Franklin and Hawthorn?

Or Franklin and Hawthorn?

Fair call, that's still far and away the more likely outcome as far as I'm concerned. I just think with all the talk surrounding the GWS bid I just think it's probably got to the stage now that its too public to credible. Jack Riewoldt from an age profile would appear to be a far more logical target than Franklin IMO

If anything I wouldn't put it past GWS to use Franklin as a smoke screen to target Riewoldt. The whole Franklin-GWS is playing out way to publically for it to be a viable target IMO.

Strangely my biggest concern is still the WA clubs
I know GWS has huge money, but I just struggle to see Bud enjoying footy playing in front of 5000 couldn't-really-care "fans"
The go home factor is what worries me more

But I'm optimistic he will stay!

"But they may have to trade out and sacrifice young talent to make it happen." Why would Vlad say this?
This is an excellent observation. Take a look at the AFL and the season to date, it's been on the front and back pages for all the wrong reasons.
They WILL face another session if Franklin was to accept an offer from GWS circa the obscene money and compromising suggestion of an obscure ambassadorial role.
The media are already circling to expose the AFL once again in a year when they are bleeding and need a good news story.
Vlad and the AFL Commission already know the Franklin free agency move is beginning to smell.
Hence Vlad is saying this may/will become a trade, and not necessarily on what GWS would want but what the AFL will tell them. A trade then is a clean escape, not compromised (well sort off) and the two parties agree on terms.
It no longer stinks, the Clubs agree on terms and it goes away.

This is an excellent observation. Take a look at the AFL and the season to date, it's been on the front and back pages for all the wrong reasons.
They WILL face another session if Franklin was to accept an offer from GWS circa the obscene money and compromising suggestion of an obscure ambassadorial role.
The media are already circling to expose the AFL once again in a year when they are bleeding and need a good news story.
Vlad and the AFL Commission already know the Franklin free agency move is beginning to smell.
Hence Vlad is saying this may/will become a trade, and not necessarily on what GWS would want but what the AFL will tell them. A trade then is a clean escape, not compromised (well sort off) and the two parties agree on terms.

I can;t see why GWS would trade a pick for Franko. They must know how far we will go. They add an extra $150k a year to that and then keep their first pick to grab Ryan Griffen as part of a deal.

Fair call, that's still far and away the more likely outcome as far as I'm concerned. I just think with all the talk surrounding the GWS bid I just think it's probably got to the stage now that its too public to credible. Jack Riewoldt from an age profile would appear to be a far more logical target than Franklin IMO

I know what you're pitching.

In effect, secure Franklin for closer to market value. And GWS aren't as interested in that scenario, far preferring the raiding party plunder from the North approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great advertising for the Hawks and our sponsors, with Buddy stalling his contract talks it puts Buddy and Hawthorn in every paper (even in NSW) and on every footy show, with massive offers being throw around, with media people saying he can’t stay at Hawthorn with that offer on the table from GWS and the AFL.

Come October, Buddy says I can’t leave the family club this is the only place to play football.

And as always, Buddy plays his role for the team.

Strangely my biggest concern is still the WA clubs
I know GWS has huge money, but I just struggle to see Bud enjoying footy playing in front of 5000 couldn't-really-care "fans"
The go home factor is what worries me more

But I'm optimistic he will stay!

to be honest my biggest concern was him leaving to a wa club, but the fact that if he goes to gws we will be poorly compensated if he does choose freo or wce cant see how they could put to him an offer which is greater then ours forcing a trade to happen wouldnt mind a barlow or shuey

My main concern in this whole debacle is that the AFL has put the possibility of ambassadorial payments on the table but hasn't quantified them.

All parties' decisions are affected by them so they are NOT hypothetical. Saying that they will not enter discussions until AFTER a deal is done between the clubs/Buddy or even give an answer as to whether they will or will not be paid is pure nonsense.

Neither Buddy, nor any of the clubs potentially interested in him, can make an informed decision until they all know what is on the table. And that includes any potential payments from the AFL.

Although a good friend of mine happens to talk to Buddy Snr a bit at the pub. And Big Bud apparently hates the celebrity life. He just wants to go live in a quiet place by himself. Where it is quieter is where Buddy will most likely be in 2014.

Where is the quiet place Buddy Snr wants to live? Fremantle?

Bud snr certainly enjoys the free piss he gets shouted. Every time I've seen him, blokes buy him plenty :)

Lucky guy

My main concern in this whole debacle is that the AFL has put the possibility of ambassadorial payments on the table but hasn't quantified them.

All parties' decisions are affected by them so they are NOT hypothetical. Saying that they will not enter discussions until AFTER a deal is done between the clubs/Buddy or even give an answer as to whether they will or will not be paid is pure nonsense.

Neither Buddy, nor any of the clubs potentially interested in him, can make an informed decision until they all know what is on the table. And that includes any potential payments from the AFL.

EXACTLY. This is what our club should be driving home to both the AFL and the public.
AD should feel pressured by the football community to make an announcement on the subject. He's always harping on about transparency.

EXACTLY. This is what our club should be driving home to both the AFL and the public.
AD should feel pressured by the football community to make an announcement on the subject. He's always harping on about transparency.

isn't this why AD has mentioned it could happen via a trade? if all the parties agree to negotiate a trade then they are freed up to negotiate the AFL contribution towards shifting buddy.

Would GWS give us anything at all if they don't have to? Of course not. But, once again, lets not pretend this is up to GWS, without the AFL they aren't in this trade.

People are applying two different sets of rules for the one situation, its absolute madness and nobody should accept it, not even a little bit. One set of rules is that AFL are paying him outside the cap to get him over, that they can use money no other club has available in order to poach the player they want, because if they act inside the rules Hawthorn have to play by, they can't get him. Then, if the trade happens because of this, some are applying a different set of rules to work out his compensation, the one Hawthorn has to play by, but the not the AFL and GWS. Some in the media and on forums are saying, "this is the rules for everyone, this is the nature of free agency, st kilda lost goddard this way". This is not the nature of free agency, this is the AFL breaking their own rules to get what they want.

I don't pretend to know what will happen, I am not even convinced Buddy will leave us, but if the AFL use money outside the cap after just recently banning third party payments, I would suggest they will feel they will leave themselves wide open for enormous ridicule if we do not get adequate compensation for losing our franchise player. Eddie is already saying if the AFL do this, it will be tipping point for many people.

"But they may have to trade out and sacrifice young talent to make it happen." Why would Vlad say this?

I am not saying, "pick 1 is ours", nor am I saying Buddy is definitely leaving (I'm hopeful he will stay).My point is I believe if he does leave, I can see a situation where GWS are forced to do a trade with Hawthorn to get Buddy, due to AFL involvement as they know that the only reason he is going is due to their involvement. The AFL know it, GWS know it, Hawthorn know it, and the public will definitely know it if we are only given pick 18-20.

Ultimately when all things are said and done. GWS now hold all the cards, the AFL influence goes without saying.
All i'm doing is stating a cold hard reality.
This isn't the first time we have been shafted by the AFL and it certainly wont be the last, from fixtures to finals scheduling etc, and now with Carltons impending move to the G, I feel we will be the ones copping the full brunt of this, we'll be lucky to get 5 home games at the G and the rest between Tassie and that sh*thole docklands.

The AFL don't care that the Buddy situation isn't fair or not, they run by there own set of rules and its nothing more than a storm in a tea cup to them that will eventually blow over after a week of bad press, then the next scandal will appear and the Buddy situation will be nothing more than a distant memory in the AFL's long list of corruption.

I'd love to be wrong because if Buddy does decide to leave i'd love nothing more than to be adequately compensated. But the AFL has an agenda and that's to get GWS winning games, by keeping its list intact, ultimately becoming a powerhouse on field which brings people through the gates. The Buddy situation allows the AFL to do all this that I have mentioned with nothing more than by Hawthorn bending over and tub of Vaseline. It also allows the freedom for GWS to do what ever they want with its draft picks and allows another experienced player along with Franklin to help the club win games of football. As supporters we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we boycott the AFL our team that we love "Hawthorn" suffers, kicking up a stink will provide nothing more than laughter tears for the AFL. There is only one voice outside the AFL inner sanctum that holds real authority and Power, it comes from an opposition president namely the filth. Eddie McGuire. If he relentlessly kicks up a stink. The AFL may just listen.

Riewoldt does not give them anything like what Buddy does from a marketing perspective. No way the AFL are paying half Riewoldt's salary.

Buddy needs to get the Hawks that No. 1 draft pick. One last parting gift for the Hawks fans Buddy - make it happen.

If the AFL are trying to save face we may come out on top here.

No. 1 pick? Seems a fair swap. We can throw in some steak knives, not sure who but something.

Just on that, who are the three Hawks that will be delisted at the end of this year? A quick look at the list and it is not an easy task at all unless there are some retirements and even then we are talking Ossie and Guerra who might not be thinking that way :eek: Not much dead wood these days at the Hawks :thumbsu:

No. 1 pick? Seems a fair swap. We can throw in some steak knives, not sure who but something.

Just on that, who are the three Hawks that will be delisted at the end of this year? A quick look at the list and it is not an easy task at all unless there are some retirements and even then we are talking Ossie and Guerra who might not be thinking that way :eek: Not much dead wood these days at the Hawks :thumbsu:
I'll say what most are thinking.......

Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back