Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong
Only yesterday in an interview in the paper (The Age)? Andrew Newbold said we will give him a revised offer WHEN HE IS READY to sit down and talk about his contract, and they hope it will be sooner rather than later

Calm down. You read something in the paper, I spoke to someone at the club off the record.

No. 1 pick? Seems a fair swap. We can throw in some steak knives, not sure who but something.

Just on that, who are the three Hawks that will be delisted at the end of this year? A quick look at the list and it is not an easy task at all unless there are some retirements and even then we are talking Ossie and Guerra who might not be thinking that way :eek: Not much dead wood these days at the Hawks :thumbsu:
I would prefer pick 5 ish and a player like T Adams to be honest.

Then we get a top talent, another strong talent with a couple of preseason a in him and room to grab a FA player to fill the void.

Pick 1 sounds appealing but shit it carries a lot of expectation and scrutiny. Often pick 1 isn't the best player either (although that's often due to him playing for Carlton or melbourbe).

I personally see Gold Coast as a more likely home than GWS for Buddy, GWS with pick one would land them self 3 likely triple A forwards a midfield already over flowing with talent, only need to poach a defender and their list is rock solid, winning games will bring more fans in the gates than anything Franklin would do

I personally see Gold Coast as a more likely home than GWS for Buddy, GWS with pick one would land them self 3 likely triple A forwards a midfield already over flowing with talent, only need to poach a defender and their list is rock solid, winning games will bring more fans in the gates than anything Franklin would do
not a chance in hell the AFL would allow Budd to go that far north, they are not the problem child right now, I really get the feeling a trade is brewing, the AFL come out of it squeaky clean, everyones a winner. Then they can shaft us to play half our games at Etihad with a clear conscience

not a chance in hell the AFL would allow Budd to go that far north, they are not the problem child right now, I really get the feeling a trade is brewing, the AFL come out of it squeaky clean, everyones a winner. Then they can shaft us to play half our games at Etihad with a clear conscience

They would do that as well - give us kick up the arse on the way out!

Could be four way trade - Buddy to GWS, pick to HFC, HFC to Etihad, Tassie money to norf.

Riewoldt does not give them anything like what Buddy does from a marketing perspective. No way the AFL are paying half Riewoldt's salary.

Buddy needs to get the Hawks that No. 1 draft pick. One last parting gift for the Hawks fans Buddy - make it happen.

Agree. That said the best form of promotion in a developing market is sustained success (as the Brisbane Lions provided to great effect in the 1996-2005 period). Drafting a player like Riewoldt, complemented by Patton and Cameron, provides GWS with a killer forward line. Notwithstanding Riewoldt is two years younger than Franklin, by the time GWS are somewhat competitive Franklin will be on wrong side of 30.

On a completely unrelated note, Carlton are pushing to play 7-8 home games at the MCG in 2015 which coincides in a reduction in the minimum number of home and away games that must be played at the stadium (from 46 to 40)

Like I said I'm much more fearful that Franklin will move to Fremantle than to GWS.

This is an excellent observation. Take a look at the AFL and the season to date, it's been on the front and back pages for all the wrong reasons. They WILL face another session if Franklin was to accept an offer from GWS circa the obscene money and compromising suggestion of an obscure ambassadorial role. The media are already circling to expose the AFL once again in a year when they are bleeding and need a good news story.Vlad and the AFL Commission already know the Franklin free agency move is beginning to smell.Hence Vlad is saying this may/will become a trade, and not necessarily on what GWS would want but what the AFL will tell them. A trade then is a clean escape, not compromised (well sort off) and the two parties agree on terms.It no longer stinks, the Clubs agree on terms and it goes away.

This poses the question which scenario is preferred:

1. Franklin stays and we pay him $1million a year.
2. Franklin goes we get a young GWS gun an extra first round pick and an extra $1million in the purse to go after established gun midfielders like Gibbs, Boak, Mundy or Swan.

2. Franklin goes we get a young GWS gun an extra first round pick and an extra $1million in the purse to go after established gun midfielders like Gibbs, Boak, Mundy or Swan.

I'd take the second option because I just can't agree with 1 player out of 44 on the list using up 10% of the salary cap. It's just not cool. Hasn't worked for Carlton (although it's not like they've had an exodus of players because of salary cap pressure).

I'd take the second option because I just can't agree with 1 player out of 44 on the list using up 10% of the salary cap. It's just not cool. Hasn't worked for Carlton (although it's not like they've had an exodus of players because of salary cap pressure).
I want Buddy to stay and would go with (1), but I'm sentimental.

I do find it a bit ironic that we can have this discussion as fans, but when Buddy considers his options he gets labelled 'Judas'.

Ablett leaving was one of the best things that happened to Geelong. Could be the same for the Hawks. You simply cannot have one player chew up that much of the cap. What happens when 12 months later the Blues or someone come after Rough? And we don't have a cent to offer him? It will hurt to lose Buddy but it probably has to be done.

GC have Ablett, they don't need another marquee player.
GWS do need a marquee player.

Recruiting Buddy is not necessarily to score more goals or filling a void in their list. It's about profile, membership, crowd size, merchandise etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Buddy to stay and would go with (1), but I'm sentimental.

I do find it a bit ironic that we can have this discussion as fans, but when Buddy considers his options he gets labelled 'Judas'.

This is very true. We can be incredibly hypocritical. I have always said that I would only be really upset with Franklin if I felt he just did a runner without making any effort to make sure that we were compensated. I don't begrudge him for leaving and padding his nest.

Ablett leaving was one of the best things that happened to Geelong. Could be the same for the Hawks. You simply cannot have one player chew up that much of the cap. What happens when 12 months later the Blues or someone come after Rough? And we don't have a cent to offer him? It will hurt to lose Buddy but it probably has to be done.
100%

I love Buddy and I want him to stay, but not at any price. We have too many great players we need to look after. And after all, it's a team game.

The more I think about it, the more I like option 2 here. I think Bud going to GWS is a done deal. Good luck to him there, he will finish his career at a shite club, which is sad, but we all make choices in life!!

Does Buddy have to do anything for his ambassadorial payments? I can't imagine Buddy doing anything other than playing footy, hanging with his douchebag mates and playing playstation, if he has to do anything for this money I can't see him having a bar of it.

Or does it just involve Vlad handing over a big bag of cash with a thank you note?

Does Buddy have to do anything for his ambassadorial payments? I can't imagine Buddy doing anything other than playing footy, hanging with his douchebag mates and playing playstation, if he has to do anything for this money I can't see him having a bar of it.

Or does it just involve Vlad handing over a big bag of cash with a thank you note?

Pretty sure they will want him in the papers every second day - so pretty much business as usual for Bud.

Riewoldt does not give them anything like what Buddy does from a marketing perspective. No way the AFL are paying half Riewoldt's salary.

Buddy needs to get the Hawks that No. 1 draft pick. One last parting gift for the Hawks fans Buddy - make it happen.

If Buddy goes, then I personally don't want anything from him.
Much prefer he stays..

This is very true. We can be incredibly hypocritical. I have always said that I would only be really upset with Franklin if I felt he just did a runner without making any effort to make sure that we were compensated. I don't begrudge him for leaving and padding his nest.
Yep, I'm hypocritical in that I want Buddy to stay and would pay him $1mill becauseI get attached to our players, but paying him this amount would probably send another player packing....

Yep, I'm hypocritical in that I want Buddy to stay and would pay him $1mill becauseI get attached to our players, but paying him this amount would probably send another player packing....
Relax mate, if we keep Buddy we won't be losing anyone to do it
Hawks have said so on many occasions

You also said he wasn't going anywhere before all negotiations were put on hold.
No offence at all, but I don't think ANYONE can be certain about anything regarding Buddy and this situation!

That is it in a nutshell.. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back