Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo has a lot more salary cap space than you think, I don't think we would be able to match Freo's offer either.

The difference between a Freo offer and a HFC offer would be marginal at best.
It's probably only GWS that can offer $500k per season more than us.

The difference between a Freo offer and a HFC offer would be marginal at best.
Buddy would be suffocated if he went to Freo.

I think Lyon will leave a bad legacy at Freo. No decent player with a modicum of creativity would want to play with them.

The differencofferween a Freo offer and a HFC offer would be marginal at best.

Freo have room of around 1.3 -1.4 a season which is around GWS offer. Only difference is that the afl ambassador role will net the difference to a million a season.

Freo have room of around 1.3 -1.4 a season which is around GWS offer. Only difference is that the afl ambassador role will net the difference to a million a season.
Plus Freo don't have cola which on a 1.4 mil a year contract is just under an extra $140,000.

jon-stewart-popcorn_zpsed6633c8.gif

i think he can get AFL ambassador cash at Freo

i remember reading somewhere that Pav was getting paid (or maybe i just made that up) and he wont be around much longer

You're making that up - never heard that & I've forgotten most of what I've heard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Freo don't have cola which on a 1.4 mil a year contract is just under an extra $140,000.

Cola doesn't necessarily work like that anyway.
The allowance is a percentage of the total cap, not 9.8% on top of every salary.
If that were the case the top 15 in the club would account for all of it and there would be nothing left for anyone under about $300,000K

Freo don't get an ambassador role! You only have to look at their list to realize that.

The allowance is a percentage of the total cap, not 9.8% on top of every salary.
If that were the case the top 15 in the club would account for all of it and there would be nothing left for anyone under about $300,000K
Actually it is 9.8% on every salary. The way it converts into a higher salray cap is by paying everyone 9.8% less than they would normally get and COLA kicks in the difference.

Example:
If Hawthorn offered $600k to ROK to lure him to the club, the swans would only need to offer him 546k + 9.8% COLA that brings it up to $600k to equal the offer. If it takes a 20% increase in salary to move a player, Hawthorn would need to effectively offer 30% higher than Sydney to move him. That is why COLA is effectively a salary cap increase even though it is applied to each individual contract.

Conversly, if GWS want to lure Buddy and the 20% increase rule of thumb applies, if Hawthorn offer a million per year GWS need to 1.1 million + COLA to get to 1.2 million. Add on the AFL's bribe money and there is no way we can compete on dollars.

I thought pretty every player gets the 9.8% on top of their salary.

I thought pretty every player gets the 9.8% on top of their salary.

Maybe it does work out like that. I guess some guys are only on $50K or what ever the base is so to them it does add up to a significant amount.
I know the total is $900K which across 40 players is $22k each.

Freo don't get an ambassador role! You only have to look at their list to realize that.

I wasn't clear with my post. I was meaning the GWS offer with the ambassador role makes it a mill difference compared to the Hawthorn offer. Without the Ambassador money to GWS, the Freo offer is roughly the same.

Wishing we had applied for buddy to be an ambassador this year. Would have made things interesting.

The whole GWS-Buddy thing is panning out a little too 'smooth' & 'obvious' for my liking.

I'm thinking a Kurt Tippet situation where there were dealings behind closed doors, and he ended up at Sydney which no one expected.

For this reason, If Buddy does leave Hawks...I don't think it will be to GWS, I believe there are other vultures lurking. Potentially another "Veale Deal" where a 'un-named club' will trade an A Grader to GWS in exchange to get them out of the picture and this 'un-named' club will sign Buddy on a multi-million dollar deal. I'm thinking Freo.
Gene as an unrestricted free agent I don't believe that's allowed.

Freo has a lot more salary cap space than you think, I don't think we would be able to match Freo's offer either.

Hmmm.....I find it a bit strange how yesterday just like that Ross Lyon comes out of nowhere publicly saying that Fremantle can not afford the GWS offer for Buddy, when earlier this year he was talking big $$$ amounts saying that the biggest stars in the AFL are worth $1.5 million a season, and how he would offer Buddy Franklin $1.5m in a heart bit to join his club.....

Hmmm.....I find it a bit strange how yesterday just like that Ross Lyon comes out of nowhere publicly saying that Fremantle can not afford the GWS offer for Buddy, when earlier this year he was talking big $$$ amounts saying that the biggest stars in the AFL are worth $1.5 million a season, and how he would offer Buddy Franklin $1.5m in a heart bit to join his club.....
Maybe because GWS is offering $2mil per year! (Rumored, ambassador etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back