Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's my proposed deal to keep all parties happy "when" Buddy goes:

Perhaps GWS send pick 1 to the dogs in exchange for the Bulldogs first pick and use it on Scharenberg, Hawks send pick 19-20 to the Dogs for Ryan Griffen....that way GWS have Buddy, Cameron, Patton and Scharenberg in their key position stocks.
Dogs get their once in a generation full forward (Boyd) they can build their side around for the next 10 years while also getting another first round pick from the Hawks.
Hawks get the exact midfield type they need in Griffen (who is a walk up start in a premiership contender), still keeping their Buddy compo pick for the draft, GWS get Buddy and a KPD ready to play in the draft and virtually only slide 2-3 places in the draft but still get the best KPD in the draft.

Hmmm.....I find it a bit strange how yesterday just like that Ross Lyon comes out of nowhere publicly saying that Fremantle can not afford the GWS offer for Buddy, when earlier this year he was talking big $$$ amounts saying that the biggest stars in the AFL are worth $1.5 million a season, and how he would offer Buddy Franklin $1.5m in a heart bit to join his club.....

I tend to agree,despite Lyon saying he called Clarko to assure him they would not go after buddy, i find it difficult to trust him . In an interview a while back he went on to say the speculation of the Cloke saga last year annoyed the crap out of him and was distracting..
This could be a smokescreen to keep the attention away from them till decision time ..
He is good at doing deals on the sly and diverting attention.

Maybe it does work out like that. I guess some guys are only on $50K or what ever the base is so to them it does add up to a significant amount.
I know the total is $900K which across 40 players is $22k each.
It is definitely 9.8% on every salary. It isn't averaged out. And this is the stupid element of its structure. Why does a person on one million dollars need an extra $100k in COLA when a person on $50k only gets about $5k? The COLA amount should only apply to players on below average wages if it really is a COLA and not just an extra salary cap arrangement that allows a premier to steal a KPF from another top four club :rolleyes:

If Buddy is to leave and I still don't think he will, I'm sorry but there is no "deal" that would make me happy. I know, I know, he can do whatever he likes, he is a big boy and yes, he would be crazy to not take this supposed offer, blah,blah,blah... You can wrap it up any way you like and try to put a positive spin on this, but none of us can say we would be happy if he was to leave even if we are that well compensated (won't happen) that it meant we pick up the next best thing going around. Moving maybe great for Buddy, but in the next 5-6 years or however long he plays, it will be a massive blow to the Hawthorn Football Club. Just my thoughts on this all of which I am well and truly sick of..:(

Ok here's my proposed deal to keep all parties happy "when" Buddy goes:

Perhaps GWS send pick 1 to the dogs in exchange for the Bulldogs first pick and use it on Scharenberg, Hawks send pick 19-20 to the Dogs for Ryan Griffen....that way GWS have Buddy, Cameron, Patton and Scharenberg in their key position stocks.
Dogs get their once in a generation full forward (Boyd) they can build their side around for the next 10 years while also getting another first round pick from the Hawks.
Hawks get the exact midfield type they need in Griffen (who is a walk up start in a premiership contender), still keeping their Buddy compo pick for the draft, GWS get Buddy and a KPD ready to play in the draft and virtually only slide 2-3 places in the draft but still get the best KPD in the draft.

Where is Hawthorn getting two picks from ? the Extra pick is dependent on free agency compensation, If its a trade we don't get pick 20.

The only way GWS do a Trade is to save salary space.

Lets say they talk to Buddy and he wants say $11mil all up over 6 years.

GWS want him but don't want to commit that much in the cap due to needing to sign all their high picks later on.

GWS approach the AFL who say they are happy to give buddy the Folau money around $800k a year outside the cap.

The trouble is Hawks oly have to match the money in the cap, in this case $6mil over 6 which they will do.

GWS approach Hawks and say we will do a trade if you don't match the offer, otherwise well just put more of the $11mil in the cap so you can't match it. Hawks agree and trade Osbourne for Adams and pick 11 while getting pick 20 as Comp.

The only way GWS do a Trade is to save salary space.

Not the only way..... Hawks can match GWS offer then Franklin decides whether to stay or go. If he still wants to
go then the 'trade dance' begins.

btw...I think the Hawks would be willing to match the offer just so we can get a trade done
(if its not already done ;))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the only way..... Hawks can match GWS offer then Franklin decides whether to stay or go. If he still wants to

btw...I think the Hawks would be willing to match the offer just so we can get a trade done

depends how much is in the cap and how much is AFL money, if it's all under the cap and there is no afl money then surely Buddy would just decide to stay if we matched a massive offer.

How good will pick 20 be this year?
we can only hope someone like Lewis Taylor (think Ben Kennedy from Collingwood but with a bit more dash) can slip through kind of like Kennedy for Collingwood last year.

I would love us to stare down AD and say we'll match the offer. We'll go on an Adelaide crows payment plan, hire the best high corporate accountants and force the AFL to prove otherwise.

It is definitely 9.8% on every salary. It isn't averaged out. And this is the stupid element of its structure. Why does a person on one million dollars need an extra $100k in COLA when a person on $50k only gets about $5k? The COLA amount should only apply to players on below average wages if it really is a COLA and not just an extra salary cap arrangement that allows a premier to steal a KPF from another top four club :rolleyes:

There's an article on the AFL site about this, looks like window dressing to me, not quite sure how you administer it objectively:

THE AFL could take control of the cost-of-living allowance given to the Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney in a move which would douse tensions over the salary cap dispensation.

Under the possible scenario, the AFL would administer the money – approximately $900,000 in 2013 – ensuring it is not used as a lump sum to target recruits.

The allowance came under sharp criticism in 2012 when the Swans recruited Kurt Tippett at the end of the season, on what is believed to be a multi-million dollar long-term contract.

The AFL is known to have recently discussed the allowance and its future, with one suggestion being to regulate the money to individual players on its terms.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-28/afl-may-control-purse-strings

There's an article on the AFL site about this, looks like window dressing to me, not quite sure how you administer it objectively:

THE AFL could take control of the cost-of-living allowance given to the Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney in a move which would douse tensions over the salary cap dispensation.

Under the possible scenario, the AFL would administer the money – approximately $900,000 in 2013 – ensuring it is not used as a lump sum to target recruits.

The allowance came under sharp criticism in 2012 when the Swans recruited Kurt Tippett at the end of the season, on what is believed to be a multi-million dollar long-term contract.

The AFL is known to have recently discussed the allowance and its future, with one suggestion being to regulate the money to individual players on its terms.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-28/afl-may-control-purse-strings
hmm that is different to what I read before. But as all things AFL, the rules are not public nor transparent so it doesn't surprise me there is confusion on how it works. Lets face it, it is an imbalancing element which undermines the equity of the league and should be scrapped.

Was reading this article and this comment from Franklin caught my attention

"Obviously that's everyone's dream, to get into the leadership group and to be a leader," he said,
"That's a goal in the future. I want to be one of the club's leaders."

As far as I know Buddy isn't in our leadership group or is never mentioned in future captain discussions. I wonder if this has ever come into the equation? I am sure GWS would be willing to give him the captaincy if it clenched the deal. Tom Scully is pretty random and unproven anyway. Question is would we compromise out leadership structure if it meant keeping the guy? If we say offered him vice captaincy with the guarantee of captaincy when Hodge retires. If that were a deal breaker I would do it personally.

Was reading this article and this comment from Franklin caught my attention

"Obviously that's everyone's dream, to get into the leadership group and to be a leader," he said,
"That's a goal in the future. I want to be one of the club's leaders."

As far as I know Buddy isn't in our leadership group or is never mentioned in future captain discussions. I wonder if this has ever come into the equation? I am sure GWS would be willing to give him the captaincy if it clenched the deal. Tom Scully is pretty random and unproven anyway. Question is would we compromise out leadership structure if it meant keeping the guy? If we say offered him vice captaincy with the guarantee of captaincy when Hodge retires. If that were a deal breaker I would do it personally.
I'm pretty sure he's been in leadership group last couple of years.

128 pages and still no word.

Will check in again next week.

Yep...128 pages and four months later, and its obvious, that Buddy continues to frustrate his club, the supporters, and most importantly his teammates who made the sacrifices to take pay cuts of their true worth, by refusing the temptation of going down Buddy's path and testing the waters of free agency.....

Players like Roughead etc... put the club and Buddy first so they can show him they want him to stay, they helped the club by creating more room in the salary cap, so the club can make him a more than a generous offer to help him to stay....and what doe's Buddy do, he continues to hold his club to ransom, instead of giving the club clarity on his position which would give the club a head start on an aggressive trade or free agency strategy.

The HFC has to give Buddy the ultimatum. this is our best offer. We can't do any more. You know what it is. You are either going to go for the money or whatever the reason, or stay. If you don't tell us within two weeks, we think you are going:mad:

Yep...128 pages and four months later, and its obvious, that Buddy continues to frustrate his club, the supporters, and most importantly his teammates who made the sacrifices to take pay cuts of their true worth, by refusing the temptation of going down Buddy's path and testing the waters of free agency.....

Players like Roughead etc... put the club and Buddy first so they can show him they want him to stay, they helped the club by creating more room in the salary cap, so the club can make him a more than a generous offer to help him to stay....and what doe's Buddy do, he continues to hold his club to ransom, instead of giving the club clarity on his position which would give the club a head start on an aggressive trade or free agency strategy.

The HFC has to give Buddy the ultimatum. this is our best offer. We can't do any more. You know what it is. You are either going to go for the money or whatever the reason, or stay. If you don't tell us within two weeks, we think you are going:mad:
I can understand that you're frustrated but I think you're being a bit melodramatic- I haven't seen any signs of his teammates being frustrated with him. Buddy has also signed for unders previously and so I think you're being a bit harsh. Hopefully it resolves sooner, rather than later, and he rejects massive offers to remain a Hawk for life.

I tend to agree,despite Lyon saying he called Clarko to assure him they would not go after buddy, i find it difficult to trust him . In an interview a while back he went on to say the speculation of the Cloke saga last year annoyed the crap out of him and was distracting..
This could be a smokescreen to keep the attention away from them till decision time ..
He is good at doing deals on the sly and diverting attention.

When you consider the way the prick shafted the Aints, why would anyone be surprised if this was indeed the case?

You don't think if Roughead (or anyone else) had a $10m contract to consider he wouldn't do the same thing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back