Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people keep saying if we keep him will it hamper us retaining current players and attracting others!
Hawks know what they can afford him in regard to others on the list
FFS we've re-signed about 8 other players since Bud put off negotiations earlier this year
Where's the confusion?
Hawthorn have said all along the offer to Buddy is fair and attractive for him, and also that it is final, save for a minor tweak here or there
If we've offered 4 years, I'm sure they know rivals would offer 5 years, and have planned accordingly

if that's what Barrett said and I didn't see the interview, then his 'inderstanding of the deal' that has been mooted is very wrong. The GWS salary cap component is around $1m p.a. the rest is AFL slush for GWS $$. Evidently the head of recruiting and the coach in waiting actually 'don't want' our Buddy - its the CEO of GWS and CEO of the AFL driving this mota.

TM, Add The Sheikh of Sydneyto that list,no doubt about that!.I know he is a s..t stirrer,but he would love Buddy there,along with the Dictator,to advertise GWS.I was thinking (for a change):D Leon knows a great deal about Buddy in the 2 years he was there, he probably doesn't want some of the luggage Buddy is carrying.It is something the new club doesn't need!But then again, the Dictator would ensure he doesn't get any punishment,if you know what I mean, for what he does!:rolleyes:

I think we can all understand now why he put off contract talks. He needs to consider this and fair enough.

$9 million for 6 years. Plus whatever Additional Services Agreements (ASA's) they can muster up as well as an AFL ambassadorial role in NSW could add up to another million a season. It will make him the highest paid player in the game. He isn't worth that amount, but he should be earning more than Tippett, Scully, Karmichael Hunt, and the like.

Crazy money. No player is worth that but that's what Buddy's being told he is worth.

They need to sell themselves to the GWS region who at this point of time couldn't give a stuff about the Giants. They think Buddy can help them and they are desperate.

If he stays, he'll be the highest paid Hawthorn player in our history.

Franklin, like a lot of our players, have accepted much less coin to stay at Hawthorn in the past. He has shown great loyalty to Hawthorn over the years and HFC has been wonderful to him, which he knows. But this offer simply might be too good to refuse.

Based on comments by players, past players and people working at Hawthorn, I have the feeling that they believe the alleged offer is too good to refuse.

He'll be 27 next year, and he might not know how he will make money post-footy. Nena & Pasadena might not be in fashion in 5 years.

How I feel personally.... I'm not sure. On one hand I feel you can't begrudge a guy for taking a once in a lifetime offer. On the other hand he'll hardly be on the poverty line if he accepts Hawthorn's offer of around $1 million for 4 years. Even that's crazy money for a footballer really. But probably Franklin & Ablett are the only ones worthy of a million a season.

It's not looking good. A big part of me thinks he'll go but there's still a part that feels he might stay.

One thing working in our favour is that he's a proud footballer. Is he satisfied with what he has achieved so far? If he isn't, he is a good chance of staying.

From a supporter point of view, I suggest that we all accept it is very likely he's leaving, and we try to enjoy what might well be the final ride of what has been a wild journey. He's provided us all with plenty of joy over the years. Let's enjoy what might be his last 5 months at Hawthorn.

I think we can all understand now why he put off contract talks. He needs to consider this and fair enough.

$9 million for 6 years. Plus whatever Additional Services Agreements (ASA's) they can muster up as well as an AFL ambassadorial role in NSW could add up to another million a season. It will make him the highest paid player in the game. He isn't worth that amount, but he should be earning more than Tippett, Scully, Karmichael Hunt, and the like.

Crazy money. No player is worth that but that's what Buddy's being told he is worth.

They need to sell themselves to the GWS region who at this point of time couldn't give a stuff about the Giants. They think Buddy can help them and they are desperate.

If he stays, he'll be the highest paid Hawthorn player in our history.

Franklin, like a lot of our players, have accepted much less coin to stay at Hawthorn in the past. He has shown great loyalty to Hawthorn over the years and HFC has been wonderful to him, which he knows. But this offer simply might be too good to refuse.

Based on comments by players, past players and people working at Hawthorn, I have the feeling that they believe the alleged offer is too good to refuse.

He'll be 27 next year, and he might not know how he will make money post-footy. Nena & Pasadena might not be in fashion in 5 years.

How I feel personally.... I'm not sure. On one hand I feel you can't begrudge a guy for taking a once in a lifetime offer. On the other hand he'll hardly be on the poverty line if he accepts Hawthorn's offer of around $1 million for 4 years. Even that's crazy money for a footballer really. But probably Franklin & Ablett are the only ones worthy of a million a season.

It's not looking good. A big part of me thinks he'll go but there's still a part that feels he might stay.

One thing working in our favour is that he's a proud footballer. Is he satisfied with what he has achieved so far? If he isn't, he is a good chance of staying.

From a supporter point of view, I suggest that we all accept it is very likely he's leaving, and we try to enjoy what might well be the final ride of what has been a wild journey. He's provided us all with plenty of joy over the years. Let's enjoy what might be his last 5 months at Hawthorn.
If we get 2 flags out of him and he goes hard to begrudge him given the $ but if we dont win it this year and he leaves there will always be the feeling of unfinished business with him at Hawthorn.

Like others I just cant believe it is possible for a club to be able to make an offer of that magnitude. The league is ****ed. It is wrong for so many reasons.

H2F, Where did 3rd hand Barrett hear this news?It MUST have come from somewhere! GWS? AFL? Did Barrett just hear gossip, as usual I guess. He can't just make it up, surely..If that news isn't correct, he should be sued for his lies.
Haha calm down.

Here you go Harper_Hawk, just for you..:DThese will make you feel better..The things I do for people..hehe

The only cure for this heartburn is this.

afl-premiership-cup.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H2F, Where did 3rd hand Barrett hear this news?It MUST have come from somewhere! GWS? AFL? Did Barrett just hear gossip, as usual I guess. He can't just make it up, surely..If that news isn't correct, he should be sued for his lies.
Well given the fact he hasn't been made an offer I would suggest Barrett made it up ...

Well given the fact he hasn't been made an offer I would suggest Barrett made it up ...

Barrett never said the offer had been made yet. He only said that they're in the final stages of "thrashing out an offer" to put to him and that when it does happen it will be for $9M over 6 years.

Barrett never said the offer had been made yet. He only said that they're in the final stages of "thrashing out an offer" to put to him and that when it does happen it will be for $9M over 6 years.
Exactly
Just because an offer hasn't been made doesn't mean it won't be
Barrett also said "in the next 6 weeks" if you remember!

Cryptor all I said was that the players believe he will stay and he is yet to get an offer ...

Barrett knows nothing except that GWS will offer huge money and years longer ...

To me it's just captain obvious horseshit ... Buddy would never want to play for GWS ... They are not a viable option and we can match Freo (or close enough) so my view is he will stay ...

CP, I was listening to Watson Snr on SEN this week,the day after Jobe was re-signed. (We don't get many stations here, but I listen to any station with w-fi Tune In,)but Watson stated that GWS offered the same amount to Jobe that Buddy was offered by GWS..I almost fell off my chair.Is he really worth that?

It adds a little perspective. I would love to know when they offered this deal to Watson. Was it after they had the Buddy deal in the bag, cos they sure as $hit couldnt afford both? Or could they. Maybe they pulled the offer when they realised he (and the rest of the bumbers) were on the nose.

For my money, Buddy should ask more than what is being suggested as on offer. We all know what he would be giving up, and the compensation for that must be a lot more; a lot, lot more than a the 6 yr deal bandied about. Add another couple mill for my money. I would hope also, that someone from Hawthorn sits down with Budd and explains that if it is about money, he should be asking for overs with them. We should stop competing for him, and make sure Buddy gets a stack of cash, and bleed them dry in the process. Surely it would destroy their future cap plans, and force some of their rising stars onto the market. And by bleed them, I mean the AFL. I figure they owe Buddy for non payment of past Ambassadorial payments the way they have used him as an underpaid face of the game.

Buddys worth to GWS? Admittedly not worth the millions to them as a club, but to the AFL in negotiating tv rights for the whole league? Who tunes in to wtach GWS, and why? You put an exciteent machine in the picture, and suddenly the AFL can justify asking for its coverage rights a little more. Currently is a 17 team competition, but Buddys presence would generate a lot more viewer interest, and money to match.

$2 mill a year Buddy, accept nothing less, but at least kick off the negotiations at $2.5. Let em know your serious.

No... When Buddy was interviewed a few days ago,he said he missed Wellingham, as he (Wellingham) had been living with Buddy..I would assume they are mates!,,:D only!
Yar, I know, was just being cheeky!

But we really don't know do we? There are so many potential factors who really knows? And are we ever going to know the full story? :confused:

Maybe Buddy should be signing some sort of exclusive book deal for post footy release where he can finally spill all on this saga. Or his annual AFL yearbook like the cricketers who release their tour diaries. An untapped market

Y
Maybe Buddy should be signing some sort of exclusive book deal for post footy release where he can finally spill all on this saga. Or his annual AFL yearbook like the cricketers who release their tour diaries. An untapped market
buddy2.jpg

GWS were chasing Tippet last year, why did they give up on him? They could have afforded more than what Sydney offered him. Why did Tippet go to Sydney?and not GWS?. The Sheikh of Sydney, said he didn't want him anymore,as he was too expensive!??? Maybe he was told by the AFL to ease up on Tippet,and save their money for Buddy! You honestly wouldn't know what they plan between themselves,to get what they want.As I have said a dozen times, the AFL is corrupt, they will do whatever they want ,to get what they want!

Buddy will be 32 playing the final year of a 6 year contract. As we all know his greatest asset is his pace and agility for his size and considering he is one of the weakest key forwards overhead and will likely lose some pace over that time, he presents a major risk over the journey.
I think we should trust the club on this one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back