Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Tim on SEN on Friday morning and they were doing the Big Q where the listeners could call in with questions for Tim & Andy. This particular caller firstly asked Tim if thought Buddy would stay or not and Tim said he thought Buddy would leave. He then asked him if Jobe had been offered the same sort of deal what advice would he have given him? Tim replied saying he would have told Jobe to go with his heart and not his head. There was no suggestion that Jobe had actually been offered any deal from GWS.

Thank you jake Niall

All proof to me this "story" is just easy fodder for lazy journos.

We have seen the "hawks will survive if buddy goes" story at least half a dozen times this year.

Just like we have seen barrett & others stating how can the hawks match freo or gws 5 or 6 year offers seemingly every week as if we will implode if he goes.

Churn out another nothing buddy story & you can collect your pay for another week!

Like who do the editors think bothers reading this crap

Another 10 or 15 weeks to go :rolleyes:.

Niall is possibly the best writer in the game. No hyperbole - just facts, sense and damn good writing.

When it comes to compensation - if we matched a GWS offer that Buddy accepts and then force the trade - would GWS willingly part with a Whitfield/Cameron calibre of player and then a first rounder this year as well? We know that Sheeds has said he'd trade Skoda Stadium for Nic Nat - but come Round 23 (and possibly even now) Sheedy doesn't really have a say in the matter. Losing Buddy will be a bitter pill - but should we get Whitfield and pick 1/2 in the draft coming back then it softens the blow. If we get pick 16 only then it's all for nought.

@ brown blood, tbh I haven't seen the other 1/2 dozen stories that you refer to and i'm sure they would be interesting to read but for mine the thing I liked most about this article was the closing - never has a truer word been spoken. As for who reads this "crap" - I did and enjoyed it and you obviously did to base your comment of lazy journalism.

Niall is possibly the best writer in the game. No hyperbole - just facts, sense and damn good writing.

When it comes to compensation - if we matched a GWS offer that Buddy accepts and then force the trade - would GWS willingly part with a Whitfield/Cameron calibre of player and then a first rounder this year as well? We know that Sheeds has said he'd trade Skoda Stadium for Nic Nat - but come Round 23 (and possibly even now) Sheedy doesn't really have a say in the matter. Losing Buddy will be a bitter pill - but should we get Whitfield and pick 1/2 in the draft coming back then it softens the blow. If we get pick 16 only then it's all for nought.
Risky move to match the offer if its beyond us as Bud may turn around and say 'what the hell, I'll stay for 6 years at 1.5m'. Not that he's not worth it but we can't afford it.

That would really throw a spanner in the works for GWS if we match the offer and we request a trade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@ brown blood, tbh I haven't seen the other 1/2 dozen stories that you refer to and i'm sure they would be interesting to read but for mine the thing I liked most about this article was the closing - never has a truer word been spoken. As for who reads this "crap" - I did and enjoyed it and you obviously did to base your comment of lazy journalism.

All very good points CP.

It was one of the better articles on the issue - sadly won't stop what I consider more lazy journos looking for an easy "space filling" story each week.

H2F, Where did 3rd hand Barrett hear this news?It MUST have come from somewhere! GWS? AFL? Did Barrett just hear gossip, as usual I guess. He can't just make it up, surely..If that news isn't correct, he should be sued for his lies.

Barrett would report writings on a toilet wall LMH. I Actually, that's probably where most of his stories originate.

Could it be a bit like when Alex Ferguson sold Beckham? The article raises some good point that the compensation we receive (assuming 2 end of first round picks) and the freed cash in the salary cap gives a great opportunity to revitalise our list.

With Shem and Heatherly available end of this year, plus the two forwards we took last year - a new crop of midfielders could be just what we need.

When it comes to matching amounts in order to force a trade, i think the hawks should only have to match 80-90% of the amount, due to the extra allowance GWS has above a normal salary cap.
This is so true.

If the AFL is to be consistent regarding the CoLA then non-NSW clubs should not have to match the CoLA component of the contract.

Who else are we get to re-sign?
Sign up those who want to stay now, Bud gets offered whatever we have left after that.
Great player and hope he stays but Buddy is not the club.

Haddo, I respect the opinions of most on here..:p Especially if they have being around the BF traps longer than me.
Do you think at his age, (27 next year) that he would make the switch to a brand new sport??
That would be a very brave thing to do.

Apologies for taking so long to reply GH.
While highly unlikely a switch to union would be possible for Buddy as a Wesley College student he would have played rugby union as one of the winter sports, he's big he likes to run and carry the ball rugby style and his current social running mates are union players, at 27 if he was tempted to try a switch it would be now or never.

Can we actually trade Buddy before the free-agency negotiations commence?

Long answer: I'm not sure if it's logistically possible given when all the cut-off dates and actual trade week is (like Brant said). But even if it were hypothetically possible why would any club trade in an uncontracted player who would cost them an arm and a leg in picks/players when it's more than likely he'll just end up leaving 2 seconds later and all they'll receive is a second first-round pick? And even assuming that by trading in a player like that that they'll then be forced to sign a minimum length contract or something, it then begs the question of why would Buddy agree to be traded to who ever Hawthorn can get the most out of when he's the one who holds all the cards in terms by being a free agent and having the ability to walk into the pre-season draft with a self nominated price on his head?

Short answer: We wish!

Super short answer: No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back