Free Agency Compensation must be abolished

Remove this Banner Ad

Id actually prefer to abolish the f/s discount.

If hes a pick 1 then you have to pay the equivalent of pick 1
IMO the F/S discount is baked in, for two reasons:
1) Clubs don't have any real incentive to bid on F/S candidates too early, it just shuffles around the draft order to no benefit. Both Daicos and Ashcroft should have gone #1 but didn't.
2) The discount is already baked into the points value for the draft picks.

I’ve been saying this for years but why does the AFL compensate teams for losing Free Agents? The rest of the competition should not be disadvantaged because a club lost a free agent. Not only will it remove another grey area for the game in the AFL’s secret formula for awarding compo but surely the club is already being compensated by having that players salary removed from their cap. If you are freeing up $800-$1milfrom your cap you are in a good position to go out and grab your own free agent.
AFL is full of compromises everywhere however this is one that must be removed.
I don't think you can abolish it completely as the weaker teams will just keep getting raided by the strong teams amd we will end up with crap like soccer where only a few teams can win.

But the formula should be publically available to avoid the rigging behind the scenes that is happening and compensation picks shouldn't be allowed before pick 10

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there is going to be compensation for restricted free agents then the gaining team must pay. No disadvantage to the teams not involved and no AFL involvement. This is how it should be, completely transparent.

I don't really know how unrestricted free agency works but I assume the player can just transfer to the new club without any compensation.

Yeah I think we can agree that the clubs need more power. For what it's worth I'm a huge advocate for clubs being able to trade (provided they're given a notice period) or hold players whilst they're contracted.
First time a club did that, a player will be off to court for restraint of trade and we will end up with the NRL system where players have all the power and no loyalty.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think abolishing compensation is fine, but then teams must be allowed to match no matter who it is. Or at least lower the bar on what constitutes a “restricted” free agent.

But then we are getting close to the pre-free agency system. Which I’m also fine with.

the maths involved in compensation picks should be more upfront.

But if teams continue to pay overs for average players. Not sure what the AFL can do about it.

We did it with McKay, Hawks did it with Battle.
Agree. Pick 8 for Battle is utterly ridiculous. Had the Saints not won at the death against Carlton, it would have been pick 5 which is madness.

Will be interesting to see your reaction if that happened to your club
What a bizarre post. If no compensation was available to unrestricted free agents, and my club lost an unrestricted free agent I wouldn't expect anything because there would be a rule saying there's no compensation.

For another year West Coasts next pick after their first pick will be in like the mid to late 30's. And the talking heads over in media land wonder why the Eagles and North aren't getting any better. Because the middle of the road teams with twice as many wins are gifted top 10 picks.
You boys had plenty of opportunities to trade ya old established talent for picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a bizarre post. If no compensation was available to unrestricted free agents, and my club lost an unrestricted free agent I wouldn't expect anything because there would be a rule saying there's no compensation.
And so let’s say hypothetically the smaller clubs aka yours / mine were to keep losing star players to the bigger clubs, you’d just go oh no worries that’s the rule? Now that’s bizarre.

If the AFL want to keep Free Agent compo then band 1 should be after pick 10. Every team that missed the finals shouldn't be punished and have their first pick pushed back. Band 2 is end of First round. Band 3 is after every non finals team second rounder and Band 4 is end of second round. Band 5 end of third round.

Also lower the salary cap floor from 95% to 85% and let teams roll it over to the next year. Why is the wooden spooner paying the same for their team as the premiers. This would also allow bottom teams to offer more for Free Agents and take players from the top teams.

Shit clubs can become good clubs by just being better run. Brisbane used to find it hard to hang onto anyone however they become a better run club which translated to holding and attracting players which resulted in onfield success.
Just do better.
The difference is that shit big clubs can still fall back on the fact that they have a big supporter base to attract players, and shit small clubs are ****ed, particularly the Melbourne ones. It helps that Brisbane is still the Big Fish in Queensland. GWS on the other hand, are well run and successful, but they still bleed players and attract almost nobody.

If North Melbourne or St Kilda had been as dysfunctional as Richmond were from 1982 to 2012, they would have been screwed, and probably defunct.

Meanwhile, clubs like Carlton absolutely **** it up, win spoon after spoon, then lift themselves slightly off the bottom of the ladder and BOOM hello it's Chris Judd.

I mean, Essendon can not win a final in decades, get busted for drug cheating, and still land guys like Smith, Saad, McKay, etc. Even when North plays well, they don't get a thing.

yes you should

because generally RFA/URFA players almost always go to better teams than the ones they leave.

shit teams would be constant feeders clubs to successful ones if there was no compensation.

All that's happening is that clubs are overpaying players to avoid losing draft capital to get said player. No system would be perfect.

In this instance Hawks are happy and Saints even more so. Its everyone else who is annoyed lol.

Wasn't hawthorn considered a shit team this time last year? Prior to this year hawthorn hadn't played finals since 2018.

Free agency compensation was brought in to protect the AFL's franchises i.e. swans, gc, gws, north, melbourne and brisbane. Or if you want all the clubs that receive the highest amount of AFL distribution.

I don’t mind it. Considering most of the movement is bad team to good team then bad team should get overs in compensation.
This is actually a fallacy. Most teams have lost free agents and most teams have gained free agents. It’s not just players leaving small/shit clubs to big/good clubs.

Wasn't hawthorn considered a shit team this time last year? Prior to this year hawthorn hadn't played finals since 2018.

Free agency compensation was brought in to protect the AFL's franchises i.e. swans, gc, gws, north, melbourne and brisbane. Or if you want all the clubs that receive the highest amount of AFL distribution.

doesn't matter what they were last year, they were good this year, and battle chose them this year. ergo he is going to a better team. Which is literally what i said lol.

And so let’s say hypothetically the smaller clubs aka yours / mine were to keep losing star players to the bigger clubs, you’d just go oh no worries that’s the rule? Now that’s bizarre.
Star players wouldn’t be unrestricted free agents mate.

There's two outcomes.

1. AFL aims to remove compensation by introducing forced trading. AFLPA will never agree.

2. AFL aims to remove FA as a result. AFLPA will never agree.

So long as the AFLPA block both these options there will be compensation attached to FA. The AFL will not allow bottom clubs to be repeatedly pillaged.

Bottom clubs are getting pillaged by bigger more successful clubs.

Free agency can stay. Just not the top 10 picks compo handed out by AFL House.

Start compo at pick 11. Not linked to your ladder position. That's a start.

And no discounts for getting access to top line players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Compensation must be abolished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back