Free Agency Compensation must be abolished

Remove this Banner Ad

IM ok with this also.

Same with Academy players. You get the chance to get them, but you need to pay the equivalent value.

The fact they are a f/s or an academy player should only give you the chance to bid on them, not get a discount.
I'm OK with it as well.

The only problem is that the points system is rubbish. The only real value of Pick 1, is what someone is willing to pay.

If a club wants a father-son and they are valued at pick 1, they can trade to get pick 1. It's really not that complicated.

The mechanism is already there without the AFL micro-managing the clubs to get father/sons

Battle 8 vs Graham 42

that is all-time corruption levels

why even pretend you are following a 'system'?
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's no world a club trades pick 8 for Battle. It's such a broken system, yet the AFL stick their head in the sand year after year and pretend it's fine.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's no world a club trades pick 8 for Battle. It's such a broken system, yet the AFL stick their head in the sand year after year and pretend it's fine.
yes, and obviously it's the value gap between pick 8 and pick 42 that is the issue, I'm not arguing for Graham to be higher.

Band 1 free agent moves:

Josh Battle (Saints to Hawks)
Harry Perryman (GWS to Pies)
Ben McKay (North to Essendon)
Joe Daniher (Essendon to Brisbane)
Zac Williams (GWS to Carlton)
Tom Lynch (GC to Tigers)
James Frawley (Melbourne to Hawks)
Lance Franklin (Hawks to Sydney)
Dale Thomas (Pies to Carlton)
Brendan Goddard (Saints to Essendon)

Interesting thing about this list is not a single one of these free agents have moved to a small club. The closest thing to a “downgrade” in clubs is the Daniher move, but Brisbane is hardly a small club. These big name free agents are almost always (at least from 2014 onwards) moving from a small club to a big club. And nearly every single one has moved to a MCG tenant.

So no, I don’t think free agency compensation should be abolished. The entire system exists to favour sides who already enjoy competitive advantages.

The full time Marvel tenants, and the interstate sides that didn’t come out of Vic (Sydney and Brisbane), haven’t got a single big name free agent out of this system.

I am, however, in favour of watering down the compensation. All the bands should be downgraded one step (so highest compensation being end of R1) and unrestricted free agents should be downgraded an additional step.

If a club wants a father-son and they are valued at pick 1, they can trade to get pick 1. It's really not that complicated.
this sounds good in theory, but in reality it's impractical IMO.

So let's say we get to draft night, and a club has a F/S player who's expected to be called out at, say, #5 - so they trade into that pick.

What happens if someone then calls out the player at #1? The club won't have the currency to immediately pull off an on-the-night pick swap into #1.

Alternatively, what if they get to pick 5, the player is still on the board, so the club (rightly) takes a regular player with their pick, and then the player doesn't called out to pick 30, so the club traded into p5 for nothing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Compensation must be abolished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back