Free Agency, the salary cap and Chip Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure it hurts Melbourne too much. If Frawley leaves he'll likely get a big offer from someone. Melbourne probably wont want to match it for an upset player who wants to leave anyway.

We either keep him or he goes anyway. The restricted/unrestricted stuff doesn't make much difference.

Sounds a tad "unfair" but I don't think the Dees are a club that complain about being dealt a "rough deal" by the AFL when you consider everything they have received and gotten away with in recent years.

See the tanking saga where they received a slap on the wrist, despite all that unfolded and the compo received for Tom Scully that was ridiculous that he was classed in the same category as the game's greatest player Gary Ablett. Now, they are being bankrolled by the AFL and despite being "broke" they can 'afford" to make Paul Roos the highest paid coach in the game.

I wouldn't be complaining if I were a Dees fan.
Oh you know it's not so bad besides having won barely 20% of games the last 7 years.

Compo for Scully was fair. He was a number 1 pick gone 2 years later and got paid 1 million a year. The fact he now hasn't become Ablett isn't our fault. Try having a number 1 pick walk out on you and see how that goes.

And the tanking affair. Bit rich coming from a Collingwood supporter and you can add (Carl, WC, Haw any other team that got priority picks). None of them got fined 500,000 and a black mark over their club.

Yeah we are getting bailed out but we are hardly the first or last club to get bailed out. The 1.5 million is a fraction of AFL revenue and will make the competition stronger. No one benefits from a club as a basket case. Trust me we aren't winning a flag any time soon. Particularly if a player like Frawley leaves.

Hasnt Frawley said that if Roos takes up the offer of a third year on his contract than he will say?
Interested to get Dee's fans thoughts on this because as far as I am concerned what right does he have to make demands like that to a coach/club.

Having said that I wouldnt mind him at the Crows, would be a walk up replacement for Truck.

Hasnt Frawley said that if Roos takes up the offer of a third year on his contract than he will say?
Interested to get Dee's fans thoughts on this because as far as I am concerned what right does he have to make demands like that to a coach/club.

Having said that I wouldnt mind him at the Crows, would be a walk up replacement for Truck.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, surely no one actually took that seriously??

Oh you know it's not so bad besides having won barely 20% of games the last 7 years.

Compo for Scully was fair. He was a number 1 pick gone 2 years later and got paid 1 million a year. The fact he now hasn't become Ablett isn't our fault. Try having a number 1 pick walk out on you and see how that goes.

And the tanking affair. Bit rich coming from a Collingwood supporter and you can add (Carl, WC, Haw any other team that got priority picks). None of them got fined 500,000 and a black mark over their club.

Yeah we are getting bailed out but we are hardly the first or last club to get bailed out. The 1.5 million is a fraction of AFL revenue and will make the competition stronger. No one benefits from a club as a basket case. Trust me we aren't winning a flag any time soon. Particularly if a player like Frawley leaves.

None of those clubs got a "black mark" over their club because they did not blatantly admit to tanking and systematically plan for it. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove and the proof was overwhelming in Melbourne's case. It began to unravel and badly.

We had a #2 pick walk out on us last season. He was a premiership player in the peak of his powers, an All-Australian, a top 5 Bnf placer and a genuine star in the competition. That's not my point anyway.

I certainly agree that nobody benefits from a basket case and that wasn't the thick of it in my post.

I was simply pointing out that I don't think Melbourne are in much of a position to "complain" or feel "aggrieved" by how this free agency rule has now affected them with Frawley when you consider everything else that has gone on and what you guys have thus far received or gotten away with.

Frawley must be annoyed.

He'll lose 30-100k a year by not commanding a RFA buffer price on his next contract by a potential new club. He'll have no more bargaining power with the new club than any other traded player.

Why isn't it the average yearly rate? Surely that's a far more accurate measure of a player's worth, and thus need for RFA, than by ignoring earlier years of a single contract. There must be a situation the AFL were trying to avoid by doing it that way, but I can't think what it might be.

I agree whether he is UFA or RFA matters little. No one has matched an offer yet when a player has wanted to leave, that may yet change if the league decides to scrap compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope for Melbournes sake it was tounge in cheek as they can barely afford to loss another skilled player to FA.
If you listened to the interview you'd know that it was obviously a tongue in cheek comment.

Do you seriously believe that Frawley would put an ultimatum to Roos in earnest?

Gawn.

If he wanted commit to instability, he would have signed already. Up to Melbourne to sort out its longer-term coaching situation, and the team to get competitive. He probably wants to stay, but why languish in a bottom side when he could have a crack at some finals in a top-8 side? Melbourne will have to turn it around pretty quickly to keep him.

Hell, he's probably already agreed terms with Sydney for 9 years.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, surely no one actually took that seriously??

I thought he was serious.

He's had a few coaches in his time so asking for some stability at the top doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Tragic. And I can remember the clamouring from the supporters of all clubs, urging the AFL to change the rules so that Brian Lake couldn't threaten to walk as a unrestricted FA if the Dogs didn't get traded to Hawthorn... Especially as it was so soon after losing Ward and Harbrow to the expansion teams....

Oh wait..... that didn't happen...

And I certainly don't remember Melbourne supporters being tossers when they overpaid to snatch Mitch Clark from Brisbane and Freo's grasp.... No, hang on - I do remember that.

I'm confused - do you want all the rules re-written to suit what ever day of the week you think it is.... ?? Or do you want to start trying to run a football club correctly... ?

You front load contracts so you can recruit at the back end. If money was the issue with Frawley though he would have re-signed and be in the to 25% as well as being tied for another year or two. If you take everything at face value, it seems that money is not the real driver for Frawley. If he wants to leave it is because he isn't happy with the club. If Roos can't turn him around on top of the $ Melbourne can offer with their cap space then how can anyone complain about Frawley making a decision to go. Melbourne are not a victim of anything but their own poor management and why shouldn't players hold them to account for that? The only injustice would be Melbourne being compensated - albeit that that is the same injustice for every club losing a player under FA. what Melbourne have to do if they lose Frawley is replace him under FA with that cap space. Nothing else will as effectively motivate a club to get its house in order as needing to attract players.

None of those clubs got a "black mark" over their club because they did not blatantly admit to tanking and systematically plan for it. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove and the proof was overwhelming in Melbourne's case. It began to unravel and badly.

We had a #2 pick walk out on us last season. He was a premiership player in the peak of his powers, an All-Australian, a top 5 Bnf placer and a genuine star in the competition. That's not my point anyway.

I certainly agree that nobody benefits from a basket case and that wasn't the thick of it in my post.

I was simply pointing out that I don't think Melbourne are in much of a position to "complain" or feel "aggrieved" by how this free agency rule has now affected them with Frawley when you consider everything else that has gone on and what you guys have thus far received or gotten away with.
Yeah? Well we lost a pick 3 and pick 5 to free agency. Three premier medals between them, a few all Australians and Coleman medals and all we got for it was pick ****ing 19!!!!

I love that the whole premise of this is the belief that given two equal offers, Frawley will not choose the Dees, so the only way they can retain him is to force him by matching a competing offer

How about give the guy a reason to stay, and not putting your hand out yet again Oliver?
So true. Make the club a desirable place to be, with a future he wants to be a part of and he will hang around. Don't make him want to stay through stockholm syndrome.

Look, you make your best offer and he makes the decision whether he wants to stay or go regardless. Realistically, he could walk for a lower contract than what you offer anyway if he chooses.

It is a strange one, the way it's worked out, but end of the day, if you give him a reason to stay other than money, then chances are he'll stay.

There are serious list management issues at Melbourne.

If the Mitch Clark & Dawes salary rumours are correct ($700k & $500k pa respectively) you have to wonder what the thought process was in selecting fringe talls from other clubs (ie Pederson) then trading away picks to compete in the minidraft to select a tall forward.

Jones would be on a fair bit to being your best player and a leader + has attracted interest from a number of clubs.

I'd pay Jones 95% of the salary pool, ...................................... well he appears to do 95% of the team work each week !!!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency, the salary cap and Chip Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back