Free kick count in Grand Finals - Victorian vs Non-Victorian teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised the OP has not made a thread complaining about the grand final always being played at the same ground.

He seems so pro home team hosting that he would be more then happy to see a grand final played at Metricon should the Gold Coast get their act together.

There does appear to be a Victorian bias in free kick counts.

Really? Should look at Eagle free kick bias at their home ground. Eagles probably historically have the best home field advantage with frees
Hypocrite

I just hope it's fairly umpired.
2016 GF was the worst umpiring I've seen.

Really? I thought it was average but I guess I have some idea and don't just troll every possible chance I can at the dogs :)

Must be an exciting little life for u but I guess your own team is utter garbage so not much there for u

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just looked up the stats (of free kicks) of every Grand Final between a Victorian and non-Victorian team since 2000 and this is what I got

Non-Victorian - 46% of free kicks
Victorian - 54% of free kicks

It also means of the 9 Grand Finals with Victorian and Non-Victorian teams playing since 2000, the Victorian team have won 7 of them (free kick wise), the non-Victorian team has won it once and there was one draw.

What are the reasons for this, and could this be a problem for Adelaide next week?

How did you get so many frees in 2014 when you were absolutely flogged?

Clear COLA bias! :D

Surprised the OP has not made a thread complaining about the grand final always being played at the same ground.

He seems so pro home team hosting that he would be more then happy to see a grand final played at Metricon should the Gold Coast get their act together.

He's making that thread by Wednesday, be patient.

And on Thursday I look forward to his thread about the Swans getting an extra days break despite Hawthorn finishing on top in 2012 after the Preliminary Final.

Give the kid time and a break, he's just having fun on school holidays.

Well I thought tigers got looked after yesterday , only had to touch someone to get holding the ball where GWS tackled the same for no advantage. Lot of talk about the Afl wanting the tigers in the final for the $$$

Like to think the gf will be more even in decision making

I just looked up the stats (of free kicks) of every Grand Final between a Victorian and non-Victorian team since 2000 and this is what I got

Brisbane - 22
Essendon - 19

Collingwood - 24
Brisbane - 16

Brisbane - 13
Collingwood - 18

Geelong - 28
Port Adelaide - 25

Sydney - 10
Hawthorn - 21

Hawthorn - 14
Fremantle - 13

Sydney - 18
Hawthorn - 18

Hawthorn - 14
West Coast - 13

Sydney - 8
Western Bulldogs - 20

So that is

Non-Victorian - 138 free kicks
Victorian - 162 free kicks

Or

Non-Victorian - 46% of free kicks
Victorian - 54% of free kicks

It also means of the 9 Grand Finals with Victorian and Non-Victorian teams playing since 2000, the Victorian team have won 7 of them (free kick wise), the non-Victorian team has won it once and there was one draw.

What are the reasons for this, and could this be a problem for Adelaide next week?
Enjoy wasting your enjoyment of the game next week worrying about the umpires.

You are pathetic.

Free kick counts don't ever tell the whole picture, so the stats 46% (frees for non-Victorian side) to 54% (Victorian side) does not make it an obvious point. The main issue I have is the 50/50 calls can seriously go in favor of one side, and when it's an obvious free to the other side, it does not get paid or the umpire says "I didn't see it". This leads to a miscue of the stats.
Bias is a natural phenomena, there's nothing really wrong with it iif it's at a reasonable level. However, there are times it's obvious to any AFL fan that the game is clearly not umpired on a consistent level for both teams. In most cases if the team is clearly the better side, and if they're playing to a home crowd, then the probability is high that the free kick count will be in their favor (or in the least draw even). But in the Cats v Crows game, the Crows lost the free kick count 17 to 23.
I hope the umpires umpire in the spirit of the game this coming GF. Just let the better team win, that's all I ask!

Remove this Banner Ad

Free kick count in Grand Finals - Victorian vs Non-Victorian teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back