Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Calf strain or tear is meant to be an older players typical injury. They call it the “over 30s injury” for a reason.
So I wouldn’t mind Stephen Hill. But when Frederick, Crowden, Cerra, Henry, Valente are all 21 or under picking up this type of injury to varying degrees in the same preseason you really start getting alarm bells about what’s going on..

Sounds like Cerra has re-signed for 4 years, some player must have died from food poisoning overnight...
it’s been a while since we heard anything on bewley...

Not a chance.

I'm assuming you're talking Hamling and Pearce, maybe Logue, Sturt or Valente. Every one of these guys would get a chance elsewhere.

Could you imagine Pearce, Hamling or Logue playing in a premiership elsewhere and freo not being able to do anything but but wonder what could've been.

What these can add means we'll never get rid of them unless they hit Bennell or Morabito levels of unavailability. Isn't even close at this stage.

Hill on the other hand... Probably his last year anyway, shadow of his former self and no return in sight.

At this stage, Hill, Pearce (LTI List) and Bewley (LTI List) - gives us 2-3 spots at midseason

Calf strain or tear is meant to be an older players typical injury. They call it the “over 30s injury” for a reason.
So I wouldn’t mind Stephen Hill. But when Frederick, Crowden, Cerra, Henry, Valente are all 21 or under picking up this type of injury to varying degrees in the same preseason you really start getting alarm bells about what’s going on..
If Henry has done a calf, there has to be an explanation from the club (there wont be). You cant have that many soft tissue injuries of one type in the space of a couple of months, not to mention the hamstrings as well. Its simple unacceptable and the supporters need to be given a reason for it. If that's because of a change in program, then fine, but I want to be given an explanation and not be treated like an idiot like Bell likes to do

Last edited:
If Henry has done a calf, there has to be an explanation from the club (there wont be). You cant have that many soft tissue injuries of one type in the same of a couple of months, not to mention the hamstrings as well. Its simple unacceptable and the supporters need to be given a reason for it. If that's because of a change in program, then fine, but I want to be given an explanation and not be treated like an idiot like Bell likes to do
We all need to hit the club up. Power in numbers

Let’s see.... I have crutches, a moon boot, multiple ankle straps, a wrist strap, thumb strap, couple of knee straps.... plus a kid who wants to play for Freo, and seems to injure himself every couple of days.

in all seriousness though, the soft tissue injuries are related to a change in program and a short pre-season. I expect these to be sorted by next year.

The fragile players however.... eesh.
May be time to call it on a couple, and hit the mid season draft
This is certainly causing these calf issues, the change in program in a shorter pre season trying to prepare for longer games. Our running would have increased a lot on what is talked about as a hard surface. Think Merriman might have overdone it/we have been very unfortunate. It seems to have specifically happened to younger players whose bodies haven't had a stable build up and changing programs.

It should also be said that Merriman has an extensive background in high performance management and strength and conditioning training. I think our training loads have been high and will continue to be till a few rounds into the season at least. Will benefit us later in the season and we should be better prepared to run out games. (Unless of course Merriman has got it reaaaaalllly wrong and everyone will be injured by then).

Last edited:
This is certainly causing these calf issues, the change in program in a shorter pre season trying to prepare for longer games. Our running would have increased a lot on what is talked about as a hard surface. Think Merriman might have overdone it/we have been very unfortunate. It seems to have specifically happened to younger players whose bodies haven't had a stable build up and changing programs.
And what of other clubs? Or is our S & C just shit....again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught up with a couple of mates who are physio’s, s&c staff at WC.
They said, Weber was good at his job & he followed the same processes as WC when it came to injury management.
The 2 clubs met regularly to swap notes on injury management/ prevention & would contact each other for advice from time to time.
Weber was undermined in his decision making by the the previous coaching staff.
The current s&c were not our first choice & maybe not even our 2nd choice, but I think we knew that.
Expect soft tissue injuries with a change of s&c programming.

They said, Weber was good at his job & he followed the same processes as WC when it came to injury management.
The 2 clubs met regularly to swap notes on injury management/ prevention & would contact each other for advice from time to time.
The current s&c were not our first choice & maybe not even our 2nd choice, but I think we knew that.
Fought that fight as a lone soldier for a few years unfortunately hahah

Been happening at Freo for years.

From what I’ve heard, we’ve never been able to attract a first choice for the role from day one,except perhaps Webber, but you’re telling me that he was undermined by a coach...this club!!! FFS!

That is ridiculous if true. Unfortunately if true, that's still on Weber. If you are a senior member of staff and being undermined then you need to do something about it, not just sit on your hands and let it happen. Go to your boss, the GM - Football. If that doesn't work go to the CEO. If that doesn't work, go to members of the Board. And if that still doesn't work, get out of the friggin place as quickly as possible. If you are being undermined then being surprised at being let go isn't the normal reaction - something doesn't add up here. Ross was out of favour for a while before he was let go, surely that period was the ideal opportunity to speak up about any undermining going on?

Anyway I was calling for change and do not regret it one bit. We got change (not just S&C). The current injury situation sucks but it is no different to what we've had for years - disappointingly it just hasn't improved (yet). We couldn't just continue saying everything was ok because it wasn't. If we still haven't got what we need now and need to change again, then so be it I say. Almost every other club has found an S&C team that can manage injuries better than we've done for years, I find it surprising some people still think Weber was and is our only and best option. All our eggs is one basket is exactly the same problem we are having with the KPF situation.

Obviously I have no idea what is true and what is not. My first reaction is though is “what else would he say”. Not too many people admit a situation is all their fault. Most do say however that they tried to do the right/smart thing but were stopped by others. In the end all we can hope as that the new bloke knows what he is doing.🤷🏻‍♂️

If we are taking a guess and he did kick the back of his leg in that previous calf issue then it's possible that he actually cracked the bone in the leg but the soreness was put down to calf. Then played on it and the pain got worse and worse.

Then finally sent for scans.

It's not weight bearing.

Webber seemed to be rather glowing of Lyon in his post dismissal interview (from the little I heard), so I call BS until further proof shows otherwise.
I don't know if we need to take into consideration the fact that a lot of players were doing their own training during the transition pre Merriman. I don't know enough about it to say one way or another. More of a question than statement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back