Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on what you value - we trade competition integrity for growth of the game. I don’t think that the trade is worth it.

Also don’t accept the only way is through the clubs. Even if it was, those clubs could be given financial incentives instead of better access to talent, just for one alternative.

Your ideas might work, but the AFL wouldn’t get it right. They don’t even explain free agency calculations, the less in the shadows tampering the better.
"Competition integrity", what is that exactly? I mean you've got one state with an overwhelming majority of teams. All of those teams with a considerable history to sell. This concentrates the media and others to over value these teams and feed the power. The idea of the "big four" etc giving them an aura that helps financially and with things like player attraction etc.

On the flipside, if you don't grow the game, you're incredibly vulnerable to competing entertainments, like video games and/or international sports like NFL, NBA & soccer.

"Competition integrity", what is that exactly? I mean you've got one state with an overwhelming majority of teams. All of those teams with a considerable history to sell. This concentrates the media and others to over value these teams and feed the power. The idea of the "big four" etc giving them an aura that helps financially and with things like player attraction etc.

On the flipside, if you don't grow the game, you're incredibly vulnerable to competing entertainments, like video games and/or international sports like NFL, NBA & soccer.

I’d define competition integrity as minimising advantages to clubs which haven’t been created by those clubs.

You couldn’t wipe it out, but you don’t need to make it worse.

And if the quality of the game is high enough, it’ll be fine.

The reason we are growing the game is mostly to increase the financial returns that the game generates, it’s not because of any threats. There are exceptions, e.g. Tassie, but money is the driver. They see a market, and they think about how to get a bigger piece - as a Freo fan my priority is to see us win a flag.

I’d define competition integrity as minimising advantages to clubs which haven’t been created by those clubs.

You couldn’t wipe it out, but you don’t need to make it worse.

And if the quality of the game is high enough, it’ll be fine.

The reason we are growing the game is mostly to increase the financial returns that the game generates, it’s not because of any threats. There are exceptions, e.g. Tassie, but money is the driver. They see a market, and they think about how to get a bigger piece - as a Freo fan my priority is to see us win a flag.
I don't know, financial returns are a metric of security are they not? Certainly you can have both.

It also seems that you're saying we should protect the integrity we don't have?

Or maybe that integrity is on a continuum and helping teams that have a disadvantage to be more competitive might actually be a way of increasing the level of competitive integrity?

It’s interesting that currently we now have more players of African heritage on our list than players of indigenous heritage. I wonder if this is a trend across the AFL? Needs examination anyway.
Having more players of African heritage is certainly a function of the academy system and probably deserves a big tick. Whether this corresponds to any significant reduction in indigenous AFL player numbers is definitely something the AFL should be on top of.

Here's a couple of articles that indicate there has been a decline.

The number of Indigenous AFL players has plunged from 87 to 71. It’s going to get worse

AFL begins addressing reduction of Indigenous players at top level

Both state a decline after 2020. I wonder how much COVID played a role in that, with reduced cap sizes and the soft cap on coaching departments.

i wonder if we should pair sporting development with education as well.
for example a player gets on the nga at 16. he might be off it in 2 years. but, freo shows long term commitment to the young man by providing perhaps help with accommodation, scholarships if he goes the uni route, help for tafe...etc

i'm currently going through a career switch (gone back to uni) but i used to be an economist. accumulation of skills is important. the skilled person such as a tradie or uni educated has a labour force participation rate of 85% plus. year 12 plus is like 65% participation rate or more. less than year 12 is 50% or more... (i can't remember the exact stats).

this is compounded by the reality that people's income generally doesn't come from getting people to work for them (not everyone can be the elite) but from their own work. thus the skilled generally earn 1 million dollars more over their lifespan.

so yeah, the la masa route of football plus life development might be a real winner.

for example a player gets on the nga at 16. he might be off it in 2 years. but, freo shows long term commitment to the young man by providing perhaps help with accommodation, scholarships if he goes the uni route, help for tafe...etc

i'm currently going through a career switch (gone back to uni) but i used to be an economist. accumulation of skills is important. the skilled person such as a tradie or uni educated has a labour force participation rate of 85% plus. year 12 plus is like 65% participation rate or more. less than year 12 is 50% or more... (i can't remember the exact stats).

this is compounded by the reality that people's income generally doesn't come from getting people to work for them (not everyone can be the elite) but from their own work. thus the skilled generally earn 1 million dollars more over their lifespan.

so yeah, the la masa route of football plus life development might be a real winner.
This what Gerard Neesham did when he started the Clontarf Football College.

It has now morphed into the Clontarf Foundation but it started around football and education.

It has now morphed into the Clontarf Foundation but it started around football and education.
yeah and lets do something similar. although i think emphasis should be skill acquisition.

There's probably a limit on spending for these extra benefits, as it's probably fairly open to rorting by the wealthier clubs who have bigger war chests.

The club itself might be somewhat reticent in spending too much more on the investment in the NGA, given they only get a direct return if the player drops past 40 in the draft.

There's probably a limit on spending for these extra benefits, as it's probably fairly open to rorting by the wealthier clubs who have bigger war chests.

The club itself might be somewhat reticent in spending too much more on the investment in the NGA, given they only get a direct return if the player drops past 40 in the draft.
perhaps a partnership.

get the universities to fund it or the state gov.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, but if you can't, tafe is available. personally, i think tafe is superior to a lot of degrees anyway.
I think Tafe level is better for these circumstances. The ones that have the academic ability to go to University can go there anyway. I must say I enjoyed Tafe more than university but University was a lot more intellectually challenging. You would have to enjoy that sort of thing to get much out of it because it can be very demanding. Many young people who see footy as their main interest and are not much into the intellectual pursuits would find it more of a grind than a positive experience. imo.

I think the key is to offer opportunity and expose potential avenues for young people as early as possible then facilitate them being all they can be.

Take them to build a school or hospital somewhere. Let them talk to the engineers, let them get on the tools with the carpenters or sparkies or plumbers, let them sit in on hiring meetings and staff planning, let them tag along with real people working in real jobs who will answer their questions and let them find out where their interests are.

Give them pride in themselves by supporting their natural abilities and reward them for hard work over results.

Foster a culture of celebrating their team mate's wins.

Then keep the door open to them well into adulthood and use football as the home base they can come back to to stay in touch with their community, their support and where they feel needed.

When they feel down they can go to footy to cheer on their mate who just got a promotion at work because that's his/her role that day and it's vital that he/she is there to lead that celebration of their friend's hard work paying off.

The entire community will enjoy that regiment of leaders moving out into the world.

I think the key is to offer opportunity and expose potential avenues for young people as early as possible then facilitate them being all they can be.

Take them to build a school or hospital somewhere. Let them talk to the engineers, let them get on the tools with the carpenters or sparkies or plumbers, let them sit in on hiring meetings and staff planning, let them tag along with real people working in real jobs who will answer their questions and let them find out where their interests are.

Give them pride in themselves by supporting their natural abilities and reward them for hard work over results.

Foster a culture of celebrating their team mate's wins.

Then keep the door open to them well into adulthood and use football as the home base they can come back to to stay in touch with their community, their support and where they feel needed.

When they feel down they can go to footy to cheer on their mate who just got a promotion at work because that's his/her role that day and it's vital that he/she is there to lead that celebration of their friend's hard work paying off.

The entire community will enjoy that regiment of leaders moving out into the world.
Unfortunately a fair percentage of the kids who would benefit most from NGA and other educational pathways have deeply ingrained experiences that make accessing institutions and their processes quite alien.

Our business supports the Stephen Michael Foundation, does great things for ALL youth with competitive and non-competitive pathways - football other sports.
What I like so much about the foundation is just creating initial opportunities and awareness- then start to build relationships to industry stakeholders…
Real outcomes and inclusion for everyone- the Souths people are amazing down there - and especially in the regions

This thread is gonna get interesting again

Brierty said today that there are positive talks that NGA will be moved back forward to pick 1
It will be interesting to see if we get half the state, starting at pick 1.

I can't see how the vic's could stop this, but I have been surprised before

This thread is gonna get interesting again

Brierty said today that there are positive talks that NGA will be moved back forward to pick 1

Do we have any kids incoming over the next few years that would fit that category?

It will be interesting to see if we get half the state, starting at pick 1.

I can't see how the vic's could stop this, but I have been surprised before
Every team will get it

This is obviously with the changes to bidding that are coming, picks outside 40 probably won't have points values

It's not confirmed at all but brierty did mention it today on Sen

Swear what they need to do is tighten the eligibility right up, your Mum or Dad born in South Africa or England qualifying you is pure nonsense.

Force the purpose of the entire NGA system to be 'Develop players who without the program existing would never play the game at a high level'.

Kids who were always going to play and get picked up anyway should never come through the NGA pathway - then suddenly it's a very healthy program for the game as a whole and genuinely more players are getting added to the talent pool.

Free bonus list spots if you can somehow get an Indian or Chinese Nick Daicos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back