Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

I've tried to back him in and his "process" but fmd he tries to drill the flare out of players and I'm ******* sick of it. Players are playing out of position, senior players not stepping up when they need to. I'm done with him, the players obviously don't want to play for him so why should I support him? His game style worked a few years ago but even when we finished top in 2015 nobody thought we were the best team in the comp because we weren't. Made a prelim in 2015 on the back of a magical season from Fyfe in 2015 and without him we wouldn't have even made the 8 that year. What's Stewy Dew up to?

you have to buy the book "the bubble" when he finally leaves and you get a good new coach, have a read of it. i think you will start to see where i have been coming from all these years. "the bubble" was written by Ross Lyons right hand man, david misson, who was the sports science bloke at the saints under ross. ross wrote the fwd for the book from memory

ross is great for the top players at your club, say the top 15. but he's absolutely atrocious for the rest. mainly younger players who are developing. he rarely talks to them and when he does its usually to tell the how shit they are. there's a great passage in "the bubble" where one of our young rucks was given a daily program to follow during the off-season, he followed it to a tee, he didnt want to do anymore or anyless than what it said in fear of going outside of what ross ordered them to do. he comes back from off-season and comes last in the time trial, 2nd last was lovett. ross proceeded to spray him infront of the whole group, telling him he hadnt done what he asked him to do and he let everyone down and it was completely unacceptable. he was devastated and started to work out from his team mates that others had all done more than what he had told them to do. he was apologetic to his team mates and iterated what he had done and why. nick roo eventually caught word of it and told ross. ross didnt even apologise to him. nick roo did though on his behalf. kid was delisted after that from memory.

i've heard similar stories first hand from family and friends of past players under ross. there's a number of players i could list here where the damage had been done and it took years to undo

the same stuff also happens with your assistant coaches and various roles in your football dept. he just doesnt know how to develop those around him or be less hands on/become a more managerial coach. take alastair clarkson, he didnt have to come up with a new game plan every X amount of years, he just knew how to bring the right people and grow them as coaches. they would then bring in new ideas etc. ross hasnt been able to do that. he's still clinging to the game plan that leigh tudor gave him at the saints in 2008, which was a tweak on clarko's cluster. he is falling by the way side of the game because he cant adapt or change with the game. he's stuck with what worked in 2010, which would always keep him around the mark for a number of years but eventually it would all catch up with him

best thing you can do is to find a new football dept boss. sack bondy. move on from that. then sack ross once you have the football dept boss. find a new unproven coach whos great in player and coach development. you can then build a team around them

You can be rebuilding but when a side is not working hard and playing like they don't give a shit, there is a problem.

They need to show something against the dogs, at least a work ethic

work ethic is clearly there, they just look lost and completely devoid of confidence or an indication of what structure they should be employing. its all over the shop, but you cant question the effort

you have to buy the book "the bubble" when he finally leaves and you get a good new coach, have a read of it. i think you will start to see where i have been coming from all these years. "the bubble" was written by Ross Lyons right hand man, david misson, who was the sports science bloke at the saints under ross. ross wrote the fwd for the book from memory

ross is great for the top players at your club, say the top 15. but he's absolutely atrocious for the rest. mainly younger players who are developing. he rarely talks to them and when he does its usually to tell the how shit they are. there's a great passage in "the bubble" where one of our young rucks was given a daily program to follow during the off-season, he followed it to a tee, he didnt want to do anymore or anyless than what it said in fear of going outside of what ross ordered them to do. he comes back from off-season and comes last in the time trial, 2nd last was lovett. ross proceeded to spray him infront of the whole group, telling him he hadnt done what he asked him to do and he let everyone down and it was completely unacceptable. he was devastated and started to work out from his team mates that others had all done more than what he had told them to do. he was apologetic to his team mates and iterated what he had done and why. nick roo eventually caught word of it and told ross. ross didnt even apologise to him. nick roo did though on his behalf. kid was delisted after that from memory.

i've heard similar stories first hand from family and friends of past players under ross. there's a number of players i could list here where the damage had been done and it took years to undo

the same stuff also happens with your assistant coaches and various roles in your football dept. he just doesnt know how to develop those around him or be less hands on/become a more managerial coach. take alastair clarkson, he didnt have to come up with a new game plan every X amount of years, he just knew how to bring the right people and grow them as coaches. they would then bring in new ideas etc. ross hasnt been able to do that. he's still clinging to the game plan that leigh tudor gave him at the saints in 2008, which was a tweak on clarko's cluster. he is falling by the way side of the game because he cant adapt or change with the game. he's stuck with what worked in 2010, which would always keep him around the mark for a number of years but eventually it would all catch up with him

best thing you can do is to find a new football dept boss. sack bondy. move on from that. then sack ross once you have the football dept boss. find a new unproven coach whos great in player and coach development. you can then build a team around them

That's all good and well, but it still doesn't explain the continued survival of Zac Dawson as an AFL footballer

That's all good and well, but it still doesn't explain the continued survival of Zac Dawson as an AFL footballer

because he's incredibly protective and supportive of those who have played under him for a period of time, to the point its actually a detriment to the team. creates double standards

No changes next week at Freo

at the end of 2015 he and the club identified that he needed to improve. he needed to be more a managerial coach. he needed to bring in more assistants and rejig the football dept. he needed to come up with a new attacking game plan. he needed to blood more kids.

then half way through 2016 is abandonded all of it and said he was reverting back to "what worked".

reality is when he changed his tune last year and said he was reverting everything, they should have sat him down and said NO, this is what you are doing/this is what we planned. if you cant do it move on. now they're stuck with this coach who's scrambling and utterly cluess as to what to do next in a rebuild. i think its better to pay out the contract, freo is a well organisation, they can swallow the cost

my god that's the 1st positive thing about Freo you have said.

i have no problem giving freo praise. i praised their last off-season, trade and draft wise. praised their drafting the year before too.

but when i see fault i say how it is. problem is freo fans have been far to defencive over the last 4 years. they just dont want to accept what is happening. i feel today could be the moment where they're all awakened en masse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuilding.

Lyon is a brilliant coach who has learnt from past failures.

He needs a team full of decent draft picks to have a real crack at a flag not a team of foot soldiers.

Now he's doing a proper rebuild people are complaining.
Yes, Ross Lyon is a brilliant man, with many well thought out ideas. He is ensuring the on-field success of Fremantle for years to come. Oh and his personal hygiene is above reproach.

Lyon sounds like someone who is good at implementing other peoples ideas but useless at coming up with his own.

problem is he pisses off the people who give him the idea and they eventually jump ship. atleast tudor had enough of the shit and jumped to sydney then north. SOS quit coaching altogether. trout quit, was begged to come back by the club, came back for the GF then became a list manager

now the best he can do is replace the good ones who leave, like simon lloyd with ex players in their 1st year or two as an assistant, or grab past it people who used to coach under him who had since been demoted to the VFA

no one wants to work with him unless they're utterly desperate

How can he justify playing Suban, Dawson, Ibbotson, Johnson?

Disgusting.

Perhaps a question for the collective match committe. The coach doesn't have complete autonomy over who gets the nod

No offence to Melbourne fans but tonight Freo reminded me of Melbourne during Neelds era. Absolutely not interested and hopeless.

Yup it's obvious the coach has lost them. That's the one thing Buckley has going for him - the players at least look like they give a shit. Freo are just lost and ambling right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back