Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

The best thing to happen is we blow out the first half of the season. I genuinely dont think we are any chance round 1, 2 or 4. Always a chance v crows and who knows v dogs round 5. Could genuinely be 0-5 or 1-4. Ken will be dead man walking then. Cut the chord and get rid of him.

Run a full process and start all over again. The future is not Boak, Dixon, Jonas, Lycett etc etc
Ken has been a dead man walking since about halftime of the Round 2 Hawthorn game last year, but he's still here. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to be gone before the end of the season no matter how bad we are. In fact, don't hold your breath waiting for him to not be renewed no matter how bad we are.

Last edited:
Glad you mentioned Aliir. He had a stand out 2021 but his intercept marking has fallen away and he definitely needs to lift. In '21 Aliir showed he had the ability to read the play, intercept, and rebound but of late he seems to have become more of a spoiler. Like a lot of players Aliir seems to have been forced into the Hinkley defensive mode where he gets the ball and looks for the short option mainly because we do not have players making position down the ground. Hopefully Aliir can get back to the 2021 form.
Aliir benefited big time from being the 3rd tall, now we seem to be going with a stupid structure of just him and Jonas, so he can’t slide off his opponent anywhere near as much.
Also when he first joined, Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie weren’t quite completely fallen off the cliff like they are now.

Aliir benefited big time from being the 3rd tall, now we seem to be going with a stupid structure of just him and Jonas, so he can’t slide off his opponent anywhere near as much.
Also when he first joined, Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie weren’t quite completely fallen off the cliff like they are now.

Yes, good observation. I had not thought of it but I suspect you are right. Of course at 188cm Jonas really isn't a tall, Ken just uses him as one

Ken has been a dead man walking since halftime of the Round 2 Hawthorn game last year, but he's still here. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to be gone before the end of the season no matter how bad we are. In fact, don't hold your breath waiting for him to not be renewed no matter how bad we are.
yeah there is a non-zero chance that even if we're awful Koch will double/triple down and give him an extension. There just wasn't enough of a reaction from fans last year in terms of lost membership. Lots of talk of people cancelling and then renewing anyway.

missed the game last night- trying to watch the replay on kayo. replay doesnt exist- why do i pay for kayo again?
It was there last night ... I was watching it on replay around 10pm when it suddenly crashed, and I kept getting an error message. So I turned over to watch a replay of Day 2 of Aus/India test, when it suddenly crashed too. Gave up after my 10th try, and contacted Kayo, thinking it was just a problem my end.
You can watch them on the AFL site (but why would you want to? it was pretty bad). and you can find free/illegal streams of the game live, don't bother with Kayo.

yeah there is a non-zero chance that even if we're awful Koch will double/triple down and give him an extension. There just wasn't enough of a reaction from fans last year in terms of lost membership. Lots of talk of people cancelling and then renewing anyway.
We gave them a reprieve this year in case they couldn't afford to pay him out. But reappointment is totally unacceptable and will result in our group of 14 Platinum members out the door!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crows 7 goals from 2 key big forwards, we got 1 from our 3 key tall forwards. Makes it hard to win.
We also managed 1 inside 50 mark - goal all game compare to 5 inside 50 mark - goals to Fremantle. Until the forwards can lead and players can hit that lead we are not going to kick a winning score. We are a 60-70 point Max team that floods the backline and try's to hold on. Same sh*t different year.

We gave them a reprieve this year in case they couldn't afford to pay him out. But reappointment is totally unacceptable and will result in our group of 14 Platinum members out the door!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I'm still paid up but if he gets extended without a flag I'll be done with the mens team entirely til he is gone.

Watching the other teams run around in the trial games I am forced to the conclusion that a large part of our Coaching philosophy is to drag the opposition down to our level. Years ago Mick Malthouse won a Premiership with Collingwood using a possession based game plan. The idea was to retain possession and eventually kick more than the opposition. That was 2010 when Hinkley was at Geelong and the Gold Coast and I reckon that tactic has stuck with Hinkley and he will not deviate from it.

Hinkley's game plan is terrible to watch at times and the situation is compounded by the fact that we have a numbskull running our Club who cannot see that this frustrating game plan will eventually turn people off.

Ken has been a dead man walking since about halftime of the Round 2 Hawthorn game last year, but he's still here. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to be gone before the end of the season no matter how bad we are. In fact, don't hold your breath waiting for him to not be renewed no matter how bad we are.
I would suggest from what I have seen that the Crows will beat Port on every front this year.

We also managed 1 inside 50 mark - goal all game compare to 5 inside 50 mark - goals to Fremantle. Until the forwards can lead and players can hit that lead we are not going to kick a winning score. We are a 60-70 point Max team that floods the backline and try's to hold on. Same sh*t different year.
Instructing forwards to lead cant be that hard, they have no sense of forward team work ie providing a block for the other to lead with space from their defender, they dont do unrewarded leading to make space for others, they dont do repeat leads or dummy leads. This is basic instruction for a forwards coach trying to structure up. It all seems so random and unpredictable to all, bombing long to tall's standing still being the default.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh still not up, kayo said they would remedy techinical issue with replay. Highlight package is all they have, remind me why I signed up.....
Its a technical issue. The stream has been corrupted somehow, and they have tried all sorts of workarounds, but still cant get it up on the site.

I have been in contact with them, and received numerous emails apologising. I would have thought they would have had some sort of backup if a stream gets corrupted?

Anyway, I gave them a serve this morning after getting an email asking if I was satisfied with the outcome!

"What outcome?" I replied ... "the match is still down. I give them credit for a very quick and attentive technical team ... But they dont seem to be able to fix the technical issue!"

Its a technical issue. The stream has been corrupted somehow, and they have tried all sorts of workarounds, but still cant get it up on the site.

I have been in contact with them, and received numerous emails apologising. I would have thought they would have had some sort of backup if a stream gets corrupted?

Anyway, I gave them a serve this morning after getting an email asking if I was satisfied with the outcome!

"What outcome?" I replied ... "the match is still down. I give them credit for a very quick and attentive technical team ... But they dont seem to be able to fix the technical issue!"

I also thought it was a little funny that the Melbourne games had multiple angles and replays.... None of the interstate games did. I get that it is only pre-season, but the quality of the broadcast live was pretty poor.

Instructing forwards to lead cant be that hard, they have no sense of forward team work ie providing a block for the other to lead with space from their defender, they dont do unrewarded leading to make space for others, they dont do repeat leads or dummy leads. This is basic instruction for a forwards coach trying to structure up. It all seems so random and unpredictable to all, bombing long to tall's standing still being the default.
Agreed, it's not rocket science particularly with the 3 tall set up we have, where one forward should always move towards the ball carrier while the 2nd can do a dummy lead both to create space and drag another defender away, allowing the 3rd to either drop into the hole behind them or be a chance to be one out in or near the goal square with the Fantasia and Rioli types lurking in the vicinity.

This static BS where too often all 3 tend to clog the 20 metre area in front of the goals and Georgiades tries to take speccies only results in occasional scores and makes life way too easy for oppo defenders.

It should be instinctive for a forward to lead but any natural instincts our players had has been coached out of them by Hinkley.

Reckon they 'lost' the footage on the behest of the AFL. Literally every time Port looked like getting within a goal of Fremantle, the umpires would pick out a free kick.

The 'over the shoulder' free kick against Horne-Francis when he has Pearce dead to rights holding the ball, even though Pearce ducked his head to ensure the tackle slipped high, which cost us a goal.

The free kick for holding the man when a Fremantle player received a handball and was tackled instantly that was exactly the same as the Horne Francis holding the ball decision. Which led to the Lycett mark that was called play on and cost us another goal.

This absolute bullshit:

1677971665996.png

"Quick, I better call play on because I can see Sam Sturt coming in to nail Lycett, even though Lycett literally has only had control of the ball for half a second at this point and so technically hasn't taken a step forward yet." Cost us a goal.

Absolute bullshit #2:

1677972219859.png

Even if Aliir had gone to move at this point in time, the Fremantle player was in the protected area and it should have been an automatic free kick. Cost us another goal.

Absolute bullshit #3:

1677973035016.png

This is Dixon picking himself up from the ground and moving to get out of the protected area, and the umpire telling him he HAS to stand the mark, even though at absolutely no time did Dixon even look at the player who marked the ball because he wasn't the guy who was standing the mark - it was Horne-Francis (who is was the direct opponent of the guy who took the mark). The resultant double 50m penalty cost us another goal.

That's 30 points. We lost by 31 points.

These are just the decisions that are on the highlights. Think about how many in competencies could be picked out if you had the entire game to watch?

Reckon they 'lost' the footage on the behest of the AFL. Literally every time Port looked like getting within a goal of Fremantle, the umpires would pick out a free kick.

The 'over the shoulder' free kick against Horne-Francis when he has Pearce dead to rights holding the ball, even though Pearce ducked his head to ensure the tackle slipped high, which cost us a goal.

The free kick for holding the man when a Fremantle player received a handball and was tackled instantly that was exactly the same as the Horne Francis holding the ball decision. Which led to the Lycett mark that was called play on and cost us another goal.

This absolute bullshit:

View attachment 1621891

"Quick, I better call play on because I can see Sam Sturt coming in to nail Lycett, even though Lycett literally has only had control of the ball for half a second at this point and so technically hasn't taken a step forward yet." Cost us a goal.

Absolute bullshit #2:

View attachment 1621892

Even if Aliir had gone to move at this point in time, the Fremantle player was in the protected area and it should have been an automatic free kick. Cost us another goal.

Absolute bullshit #3:

View attachment 1621904

This is Dixon picking himself up from the ground and moving to get out of the protected area, and the umpire telling him he HAS to stand the mark, even though at absolutely no time did Dixon even look at the player who marked the ball because he wasn't the guy who was standing the mark - it was Horne-Francis (who is was the direct opponent of the guy who took the mark). The resultant double 50m penalty cost us another goal.

These are just the decisions that are on the highlights. Think about how many in competencies could be picked out if you had the entire game to watch?

What's your point? Everyone knows you have to be 3-4 goals better in WA to make up for the dodgy umpiring calls.

The same thing would happen in a grand final if we ever got there by the way.

No excuses, be better.

This absolute bullshit:

View attachment 1621891

Absolute bullshit #2:

View attachment 1621892

Absolute bullshit #3:

View attachment 1621904

Not to mention the fluffed kicks into our forward line. The forwards playing from behind. The getting pantsed in the middle. The relative ease of some of Freo’s goals. The general malaise of a lot of our players. There’s another 30 points.

What's your point? Everyone knows you have to be 3-4 goals better in WA to make up for the dodgy umpiring calls.

The same thing would happen in a grand final if we ever got there by the way.

No excuses, be better.
Glass half full optimist “bad umpiring isn’t an excuse, you have to be able to win despite it”
vs
Glass half empty pessimist “why should you have to “accept” bad umpiring that costs your team”

This absolute bullshit:

View attachment 1621891

Absolute bullshit #2:

View attachment 1621892

Absolute bullshit #3:

View attachment 1621904

We lost because we still cannot convert inside 50's into goals. Never blame umpiring for a 6 goal loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back