Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone heard his interview on SEN after he was drafted but he was absolute stoked to be moving interstate and you could hear the excitement in his voice. Luke Power and Boomer both likened him to Will Hayward at Sydney. I’m knew nothing about him pre draft but if he ends up like Hayward, we might have the steal of the draft. Massive ceiling given his background and that he picked footy late.

No worries for mine about flight risk and has sounds like he has the professionalism and drive to debut round 1.

With his story it seems as though he hasn't been a star junior all his life so he seems a bit less entitled than your average first round pick. He's seems happy for the opportunity.

Not sure if anyone heard his interview on SEN after he was drafted but he was absolute stoked to be moving interstate and you could hear the excitement in his voice. Luke Power and Boomer both likened him to Will Hayward at Sydney. I’m knew nothing about him pre draft but if he ends up like Hayward, we might have the steal of the draft. Massive ceiling given his background and that he picked footy late.

No worries for mine about flight risk and has sounds like he has the professionalism and drive to debut round 1.

I found this quote funny in the West article:

“I couldn’t be happier to be honest,” Sturt said.

“I just wanted to get away from home in the end. I love mum, but.

“She’s been a huge influence on me, her and dad. Just really, really excited.”

I found this quote funny in the West article:

“I couldn’t be happier to be honest,” Sturt said.

“I just wanted to get away from home in the end. I love mum, but.

“She’s been a huge influence on me, her and dad. Just really, really excited.”
Was even funnier in the video. You could see the love and pride in mum and dad. Likely lad. Get him a surfboard and a nice wa girly.

Nat fyfe was also a late bolter, medium forward, late to develop his game with massive freaking mitts.
Yep, I see the biggest comparison with Fyfe over any other existing player tbh.

Imagine a team with 2 Fyfes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mind you, for all we know many of them might have rated him the best available once the others were gone too. It's not like it was a silent action where we bid higher than anyone else.

Looks pretty good in those highlight vids. That left foot is every bit as good as Hill's skills, only with more penetration. Looks a competitor too with the way he closes down space and intercepts.

Everyone looks good in highlight vids. That's why they're called 'highlights'.

In the end none of us has seen as much of him as our recruiters - what concerns me is that every other Melbourne club would have seen him a lot more than our recruiters. That's why (IMO) our drafting from Melbourne has been utter, utter ratshit since pretty much day 1, except for a couple of mature age VFL players that were drafted super late.
This idea that we can outsmart 10 other clubs in their own backyard is fanciful bullshit, and this selection reeks of that.

Everyone looks good in highlight vids. That's why they're called 'highlights'.

In the end none of us has seen as much of him as our recruiters - what concerns me is that every other Melbourne club would have seen him a lot more than our recruiters. That's why (IMO) our drafting from Melbourne has been utter, utter ratshit since pretty much day 1, except for a couple of mature age VFL players that were drafted super late.
This idea that we can outsmart 10 other clubs in their own backyard is fanciful bullshit, and this selection reeks of that.
we have same amount of recruiters in the vic market

Never heard of him, but seems a likely type. I like his delivery inside 50m, also can kick a few opportunistic goals. A bit tall for a small foward but wouldn't mind if he plays that role until he fills out a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back