Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone looks good in highlight vids. That's why they're called 'highlights'.

In the end none of us has seen as much of him as our recruiters - what concerns me is that every other Melbourne club would have seen him a lot more than our recruiters. That's why (IMO) our drafting from Melbourne has been utter, utter ratshit since pretty much day 1, except for a couple of mature age VFL players that were drafted super late.
This idea that we can outsmart 10 other clubs in their own backyard is fanciful bullshit, and this selection reeks of that.

A closer look shows that Geelong were the only Victorian club with a pick within cooee of where we took Sturt though, and they took a WA boy we probably would have taken had we had the chance.

Collingwood at 13 matched an academy bid, as did North at 8. The rest of the picks in the block of 10 before us were all non-Vic teams.

So basically you're stressing that Victorian clubs didn't rate a guy in the top 7 that we ended up taking at 17. Have we really tried to outsmart anyone?

Last edited:

In the end none of us has seen as much of him as our recruiters - what concerns me is that every other Melbourne club would have seen him a lot more than our recruiters. That's why (IMO) our drafting from Melbourne has been utter, utter ratshit since pretty much day 1, except for a couple of mature age VFL players that were drafted super late.
This idea that we can outsmart 10 other clubs in their own backyard is fanciful bullshit, and this selection reeks of that.

So what about Carlton when they picked up Patrick Cripps (a WA) player from every other club at the time under their nose? including WA clubs?

Just cause Sturt is Victorian, how does that translate to us not potentially grabbing a steal?

A closer look shows that Geelong were the only Victorian club with a pick within cooee of where we took Sturt though, and they took a WA boy we probably would have taken had we had the chance.

Collingwood at 13 matched an academy bid, as did North at 8.

So basically you're stressing that Victorian clubs didn't rate a guy in the top 7 that we ended up taking at 17. Have we really tried to outsmart anyone?

Dunno, but there's a reason just about every Melbourne kid we recruit turns out to be underwhelming.

Hopefully he is the next Fyfe.

I may be way off but ive compared games and clubs but im fairly sure thats Sturt getting a few leads on Quaynor in the TAC cup grand final in the first video on his welcome post.

This is the player who Collingwood rate highly and was put on Rankine and shut him down if i remember what the draft hosts were saying.

This is after being invited down to the stingrays after 6 years of cricket... we may have something good here.

So what about Carlton when they picked up Patrick Cripps (a WA) player from every other club at the time under their nose? including WA clubs?

Pretty shit example given we didn't have a pick, and West Coast's only pick was used on another WA player (Sheed).

Funnily enough, that draft we went for a Melbourne kid over Lobb. And Alex Pearce for that matter, who was 20 odd picks later.
That Melbourne kid was just delisted.

I may be way off but ive compared games and clubs but im fairly sure thats Sturt getting a few leads on Quaynor in the TAC cup grand final in the first video on his welcome post.

This is the who Collingwood rate highly and was put on Rankine and shut him down if i remember what the draft hosts were saying.

This is after being invited down to the stingrays after 6 years of cricket... we may have something good here.
Correct -was in the TAC grand final - think Quaynor ended up getting moved off him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realize we have a heap of recruiters who base themselves in Victoria. Its being reported we have the biggest recruiting department of any team in the afl. The concept that recruiters from Freo wouldnt view victiorian based youngsters as much as any Melbourne based clubs is a very strange point to make.

You realize we have a heap of recruiters who base themselves in Victoria. Its being reported we have the biggest recruiting department of any team in the afl. The concept that recruiters from Freo wouldnt view victiorian based youngsters as much as any Melbourne based clubs is a very strange point to make.

So why are we so bad at drafting Melbourne kids?

You do know that our head recruiter was based in Victoria right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back