Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't mind Henry choosing the best cultural fit for himself. I mean WA isn't for everyone. I also didn't mind Cerra leaving as both he and his partner were very close to their families and he did make it very clear from the beginning that he didn't want to come here. Everyone is different . I' m just not sure either if those things apply to Sturt so i am really peeved.
So what personal reasons would you peeved about as the reason he left outside of money

Maybe wait till he asks for a trade before blaming things that haven't actually happened this year. If every trade rumor turned out true we'd barely field a side.
In general I believe we have limited his development and our club's success by not playing him at the top level enough when he has been fit.

His development has been impacted by injury and working on the defensive side of his game. He is now a genuine AFL player and I hope he stays.

We shouldn't even be having this discussion. Plenty of us were calling for a 2 or 3 year deal last year. He was given a 1 year extension. I will be furious if Sturt leaves, but it will be with the club and not with Sturt.

Agree. He's been on the edge of getting cut for years now, if someone else has come to him with a long term deal that we didn't offer who can blame him. Short career and everyone loves to be wanted.

So what personal reasons would you peeved about as the reason he left outside of money
Probably not feeling valued. Having to do more than others to receive the same consideration in selection. Not bothering to offer a reasonable contract in a timely manner as his performance showed his value, while others are prioritised. Something along those lines. Not saying any of that is the case but I hope we haven't been careless.

Agree. He's been on the edge of getting cut for years now, if someone else has come to him with a long term deal that we didn't offer who can blame him. Short career and everyone loves to be wanted.
He has bee close to the cut because of injury and illness. The club have been waiting for him to bloom and gives them what they knew he was or is capable of.
The club could not offer a long term contract when he hadn't palyed enough games.
Just wait and see what happens come seasons end.
Will he stay. I hope so, but like everyone else, other than Sam himself, have no idea. Why stir up shit that more than likely will never happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In general I believe we have limited his development and our club's success by not playing him at the top level enough when he has been fit.
He's played 8 WAFL games in the past 2 years combined. 2022 he played all season WAFL in all fairness, but he re-signed after that. Not quite sure them 8 games are worth getting knickers tied in a knot.

In general it seems like the instructions are relatively simple. Don't be a complete negative on pressure, in contest, and around the ground and you'll probably have a spot in the team. Surprise surprise, as soon as those things happened he had a spot. Coach has spoken well of him this year, judging by the recent Better Down Back pod he's part of the furniture here, and seems to have settled in WA.

Unless we acted against that and actually shortchanged him at the negotiation table (it's possible I suppose), if he's leaving he's probably getting too good to refuse money elsewhere that we can't be matching. And at that point, I'd say get your bag.

He has bee close to the cut because of injury and illness. The club have been waiting for him to bloom and gives them what they knew he was or is capable of.
The club could not offer a long term contract when he hadn't palyed enough games.
Just wait and see what happens come seasons end.
Will he stay. I hope so, but like everyone else, other than Sam himself, have no idea. Why stir up shit that more than likely will never happen.

It's a discussion forum, if everyone just waited to see what plays out it would be a pretty boring place.

I'll be pissed if he leaves. He's finally come good after we've developed his game and stuck fat for years. We're on the cusp of something special (imagine Treacy, Jackson, Amiss, Sturt, Switta, Bolton fwd line) and he did a Henry? **** that, I'd be ropeable.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He came good least year. Has had a checkered injury history though. If he leaves it's more an indictment on our retention strategies I would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back