Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean...was he not deficient in those areas? I'm confused as to what exactly some of the Sturt stans expected. Him to be able to coast to a spot on talent? Or to not need to build up conditioning coming off injuries? Those standards are the sort of shit that unserious clubs do, and I'll be the first to say I'm glad we didn't do that. Not only that, he's a better player for that. And so is NOD for not having the spot on a silver platter.

Heath Chapman has played as many WAFL games this season as Sam Sturt has, and Chapman has more talent in his pinky than Ethan Hughes has in his whole body.

As a side note, I do love that the panic is being driven at least in part by an article with such suggestions as "Bolton to West Coast", "Leek Aleer to Sydney", "Jack Martin to Brisbane", "Sean Darcy to Geelong" and much much more.

The problem is the apparent lack of consistency with other players on the team. There is no way for example that Sturt would have survived the month of footy Banfield has just turned in yet he still hasn’t been dropped.
The likes of Frederick and JOM have been similarly ineffective for long spells without any pressure on their spots.

King Huskii was on here earlier with some cryptic ITK info that he is gone

Not trying to.be cryptic I'll say more after this weekend

On another note from a person who has links to the afl and I definitely won't add anything else to that for reasons.

We are looking at Baker and Bolton with our first and third picks plus next years first. Brodie might also head east as a salary dump to Tigers and we acquire Bolton, Baker plus some later picks with Tigers paying a decent portion of Bolton's wage. This is apparently very possible as Warner hasn't given any indication if he stays or goes next year.

We will still have our Freo pick this year to use on apparently Berry or another player who I have forgotten his name but I'll suss out later.

On another note from a person who has links to the afl and I definitely won't add anything else to that for reasons.

We are looking at Baker and Bolton with our first and third picks plus next years first. Brodie might also head east as a salary dump to Tigers and we acquire Bolton, Baker plus some later picks with Tigers paying a decent portion of Bolton's wage. This is apparently very possible as Warner hasn't given any indication if he stays or goes next year.
So you think Sturt is 100% gone then?

As far as we know, the most likely scenario is Sturt is evaluating his offers, waits to see what he gets, then he'll come back and see if we match it or exceed it.

The problem is the apparent lack of consistency with other players on the team. There is no way for example that Sturt would have survived the month of footy Banfield has just turned in yet he still hasn’t been dropped.
The likes of Frederick and JOM have been similarly ineffective for long spells without any pressure on their spots.

Sturt was only really dropped because he was selected for the 1st Derby when he wasn't ready but we had a couple of other forward players out at the time (Switkowski and Frederick) which forced us to play him when he was probably still trying to get up to match fitness.

No not 100% sure but from a guy from ex sport fm he let me know that Sturt had strong interest over east and hasn't signed his contract. Take that for what it's worth.

Not having a crack mate, but this reads a little different to the previous "Sturt wants out" post

You have to remember we're a nervy bunch

We will still have our Freo pick this year to use on apparently Berry or another player who I have forgotten his name but I'll suss out later.
That would be a horrible result, so I fully expect it to be true.

I will be gutted if he leaves.
I haven't spent the last 6 years defending him on here, for it to all be in vain because we don't value him as highly as another club might.
He'll decide if he wants to stay or go I guess. I don't think it'll be about the club valuing him or not; we clearly value him enough to have stuck fat over the last 6 years. Not sure what we've put in front of him, but you'd think it'd be $600k min.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be gutted if he leaves.
I haven't spent the last 6 years defending him on here, for it to all be in vain because we don't value him as highly as another club might.
Drafted 2020.
I would be gutted as well, but it will be what it will be.
I have been in his corner since we drafted him.

Not wrist slashing bad though. If he enables us to get Bolton (who’s only a year older and much better) for cheaper then I think it’s fine. So long as he ends up at Richmond not Collingwood

The reactions about him leaving are really ott

Bolton is a small forward who can also be in the middle for centre bounces. Sturt is a permanent medium forward. We need them both. If Sturt leaves there is a big hole in our side for that medium forward role.

We don't really have anyone else on our list ... I'd prefer not to count Banfield and Emmett as they don't have the class/finishing skills. Maybe you could say Freddy is a medium with his leap and long arms. But he still classifies as a small forward to me, and regardless it still leaves us short a classy forward. And that's something that is scarce on our list.

Very hard to pluck one out of nowhere from another club or the state leagues. So that leaves the draft. I would have been keen to draft Hamish Davis regardless, but I would be even more keen if Sturt leaves.

Yeah I get that. It's the fact he hasn't signed offers presented.
He's playing well and if he kicks 3 against Port that might be an increased offer, or someone out East has offered crazy money - in which case we may have a problem. Perth GF plays in our favour, and he must realise how much faith has been put in him (would've been easy to let go at some points). Fingers crossed.

He's playing well and if he kicks 3 against Port that might be an increased offer, or someone out East has offered crazy money - in which case we may have a problem. Perth GF plays in our favour, and he must realise how much faith has been put in him (would've been easy to let go at some points). Fingers crossed.

I hope they marry and stay here forever

Yeah his GF is not going to be a factor in any of this. She'd happily move interstate if it was in his best interest.

Would he miss summer cricket matches with Clarky? Not that I'm suggesting that they bat on the same team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

These are the circumstance behind the last contract he signed.

Not wrist slashing bad though. If he enables us to get Bolton (who’s only a year older and much better) for cheaper then I think it’s fine. So long as he ends up at Richmond not Collingwood

The reactions about him leaving are really ott
You're an absolute ****ing cooker to be honest.
Him leaving would be a complete disaster and show the club is rooted
I just refuse to believe it's happening when so far the only quoted sources are Jon Ralph and huskii

Would Sturt still be an AFL player if he wasn't a first round pick?

He spent four years basically outside the AFL averaging one game per year. Everything he has achieved has been the last two years where he has managed ten and eleven game streaks.

If he wasn't a first round pick in the season we also lost Valente, would he have had the chance to play these 30 games?

You're an absolute ****ing cooker to be honest.
Him leaving would be a complete disaster and show the club is rooted
I just refuse to believe it's happening when so far the only quoted sources are Jon Ralph and huskii

And here we go again. Square Peg has a tanty over a post. That's ok you can refuse to believe things but that doesn't change reality.

Would Sturt still be an AFL player if he wasn't a first round pick?

He spent four years basically outside the AFL averaging one game per year. Everything he has achieved has been the last two years where he has managed ten and eleven game streaks.

If he wasn't a first round pick in the season we also lost Valente, would he have had the chance to play these 30 games?

Valente was extremely slow placed. Sturt has massive X Factor

And here we go again. Square Peg has a tanty over a post. That's ok you can refuse to believe things but that doesn't change reality.

The great unknown in life, who's a bigger dimwit, Jon Ralph who said it could be a possibility that Sturt is gone or huskii who said he's definitely gone? You've nailed your colours to the mast matey. Better hope you're right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back