Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Their midfield is top 5, let alone 6-8. Brutal, big-bodied, physical clearance side, with no lack of skill coming from Will Day (Worpel and Duke are pretty good, but Day is phenomenal). Meek is a top-notch physical ruck man in the style of Nankervis. Make no bones about it, that's a tough unit; when they play with the intensity they did yesterday? Not many sides are living with that.

However, we still controlled the game for large portions and should have won, given where our misses were from. We've historically kicked badly, but often due to marks being taken in less-likely-to-score areas. We're consistently marking in better areas now, and the kicking will come, so pretty pleased with everything bar that.

The other issue was them streaming out the back of centre-clearances - Darcy solves the majority of this. It's been posted before, but he's a much more controlled ruck, and can keep it tight if needed. Jackson is gold or bust in that regard. We win if Darcy played yesterday, even for a half. He would've worn Meek out, and Jackson could've feasted for half a quarter. Meek was immense yesterday, and arguably won them the game.

We're still in it. Likely 6th at the end of this a game clear of 8th. Not fussed if we finish 5-8, we play well on the road and shit off a bye. We are going to pose some problems for whoever has us, for sure.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks midfield is bigger and faster than ours. I think that becomes an issue at times when they really needed to lift to win the game they did and we didn't.

Serong is elite but small and average pace. Young good pace and skill but isn't huge. Fyfe big but just too slow now. It feels like we can get a bit steamrolled at times even though our midfield is objectively quite good.

Darcy evens that out to a great degree like you say but I think we really need the likes of Johnson and Erasmus to come on and push Fyfe out of that rotation. Johnson is pretty much there, Erasmus really needs more afl time.

Their midfield is top 5, let alone 6-8. Brutal, big-bodied, physical clearance side, with no lack of skill coming from Will Day (Worpel and Duke are pretty good, but Day is phenomenal). Meek is a top-notch physical ruck man in the style of Nankervis. Make no bones about it, that's a tough unit; when they play with the intensity they did yesterday? Not many sides are living with that.

However, we still controlled the game for large portions and should have won, given where our misses were from. We've historically kicked badly, but often due to marks being taken in less-likely-to-score areas. We're consistently marking in better areas now, and the kicking will come, so pretty pleased with everything bar that.

The other issue was them streaming out the back of centre-clearances - Darcy solves the majority of this. It's been posted before, but he's a much more controlled ruck, and can keep it tight if needed. Jackson is gold or bust in that regard. We win if Darcy played yesterday, even for a half. He would've worn Meek out, and Jackson could've feasted for half a quarter. Meek was immense yesterday, and arguably won them the game.

We're still in it. Likely 6th at the end of this a game clear of 8th. Not fussed if we finish 5-8, we play well on the road and shit off a bye. We are going to pose some problems for whoever has us, for sure.

The best of them all? Newcombe. He wanted to get his team over the line, and in the fourth he was immense. Embarrassing how he was allowed to dodge through two Fremantle defenders, not midfielders - who are meant to be going man on man, and kick an easy snap to get them going.
Just feel like the midfield isn’t there. Serong is getting singled out and Brayshaw is running all day- no one else is riding along.
Teams will start to exploit JOM and Fyfe’s lack of speed and defence- which Hawthorn did.

Hawks midfield is bigger and faster than ours. I think that becomes an issue at times when they really needed to lift to win the game they did and we didn't.

Serong is elite but small and average pace. Young good pace and skill but isn't huge. Fyfe big but just too slow now. It feels like we can get a bit steamrolled at times even though our midfield is objectively quite good.

Darcy evens that out to a great degree like you say but I think we really need the likes of Johnson and Erasmus to come on and push Fyfe out of that rotation. Johnson is pretty much there, Erasmus really needs more afl time.
Erasmus and Brodie may be already looking elsewhere.

It's got nothing to do with emotions.

I was at the Carlton and Doggies game tonight and a 65 year old bloke (Blues supporter) tried fighting some young bloke (Bullies) because he was 'standing up too much.' this silly old git was swearing, ranting, raving, literally ready for a fight and making a total tool of himself.

That's not controlling your emotion.

Freo have dished up cowardly, lily livered losses for its entire history. there's no reason the team should have lost today. Hawks are an okay team but that's only in comparison to the expectations everyone has on them – there's ten teams better than them and three or four miles and miles ahead. Launceston is a shit excuse; we've played there yearly for two decades.

It's not reactive and it's not sooking, seriously, this is becoming a total joke. accepting these setbacks is pathetic. when's it going to end?
We're COMPETING for a top four finish !
And you can't see your doppelganger in the unhinged Carlton fan "making a total tool of himself"?

Frederick is absolute ratshit. he's a headless chook with the ball and clueless without it.

Been saying it for years. he was a novelty act but he's never been a footballer.

Brandon Walker will be the next to get worked out. he's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen, just no awareness and no understanding.

Numbnut supporters just like them because...
I ...I...just wanna say...
I hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

Frederick is absolute ratshit. he's a headless chook with the ball and clueless without it.

Been saying it for years. he was a novelty act but he's never been a footballer.

Brandon Walker will be the next to get worked out. he's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen, just no awareness and no understanding.

Numbnut supporters just like them because...

Efficiency inside 50 and opposition efficiency inside 50 are major issues for the team.

I have no idea why the team is cruising so much. The team is not defending well enough and going inside 50 there's not enough hunger to score. Over possession in our 50 has been an ongoing issue, we constantly take that extra handball when you just need to take the snap.

They actually never have, poor pies supporters down there must be desperate. Shame on the AFL and Pies for keeping them locked out from seeing their heroes.
In Collingwood’s defence ( which is not something I thought I would ever type) , every VIC club ask to play Collingwood in Melbourne as their home game. All about the crowd which leads to more money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't watch the game but jeez losing to the Hawks of the last 12 weeks in Tassie doesn't seem like a massive shock to me.

Both wheelo and the squiggle has us losing this and still making top 4.

Losing to them is not the issue. The way we lost is the issue.

With Carlton and Essendon losing, and port down at half time and injured, we might have dodged a bullet.

It keeps the door open, but oh to be sitting in 2nd with two wins worth of points safe in the top four.

We now must beat Essendon and Geelong

I agree with all of this apart from Hawthorn having a top 5 midfield. I would have all of Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane, port, GWS Melbourne and us above Hawthorns midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with all of this apart from Hawthorn having a top 5 midfield. I would have all of Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane, port, GWS Melbourne and us above Hawthorns midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We do when we have our ruckman in. We do when our second choice ruckman isn't against a brute.

Interesting the comments from the MELB game that the Ds mids knew they were going to lose the taps with Gawn out, so adjusted their game.
Hmmm maybe we could make that adjustment when we come against rucks who monster Jackson.

Last edited:
Voss has some good traits but his set shot kicking is woeful. You can’t be relying on guys like that in a tight game. Those chances he missed are hard fought and priceless and suck the oxygen and energy out of the team when they are missed.
The 50 he gave away was dumb too.
He needs more time at Peel for me.
The chances he got need to be in the hands of better players to keep scoreboard pressure maintained.

That wouldn't make sense though. Unless something extraordinary falls in your lap, I'd be warry trading 1st rounders in a rebuild. It didn't work for us with Hogan or Lobb.

Our team is built around Brayshaw, Serong and Young at the moment. All taken in the draft. I hope we don't misjudge where we're at and think we're close to a Premiership. Aren't we regularly the youngest team in the comp?

Stay the course brother. Freo are on the right track - no need to butcher it going after a quick fix.

Late reply but back on this - I completely respect your opinion but also completely respectfully disagree.

We are indeed regularly the youngest team in the comp. What happens when you bring in draftees? You get even younger and further away from a premiership contender profile. We need our list profile to be older - which happens by a) gaining experience and b) bringing in experience.

In terms of not getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we’re close to a premiership - we’re currently sitting in the top 4 and are a few straight kicks yesterday away of being outright 2nd? How close to a premiership do you want to be?

There’s not a single team at a single venue where I don’t think we’re a decent chance. Maybe Brisbane at the gabba?

I don’t mean being stupid at the trade table - but we have a great hand this year, it would be absolutely negligent to not actively pursue every avenue to bringing in elite talent to make us instantly better.

As above if we use Collingwood 2022- 2023 as an example
They traded out Grundy and Henry bought in Mitchell and Hill .( we don’t need to trade out , we are flush with picks and don’t have salary cap issues - YET ! )

Bang - Premiership !

Bring in those 2 types to our team and look out

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back