Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies to anyone I called a "happy clapper" this year. Justin, you may mumble more than an octogenerian presidential candidate but you can coach. Best H&A win in the JL era. Josh Draper is The Truth.
You were in error...make sure you learn from it.
Justin L, Nerves of Titanium, has a game plan
Signed
Very Happy Clapper.

Yes, I'll also be glad that those "Freo haven't beat anyone in the top 8" faces can shut up now.

It's weird, these people, they skew the ladder to suit their narrative. We beat Melbourne when they were 6th and so they slumped to 10th in the same round and so that one doesn't count.

We beat Brisbane early who are currently in 6th but apparently that also doesn't count because they weren't in the 8 at the time.

Well try and ****ing say it now...

Paps and Xavier Ellis have been banging on about it... I know there's a lot of respects for Paps on this board and yes he is a good commentator and knows our players and stats which is professional and makes good call to calls but I always sense a negative stance to Freo from him too.

There's no getting around it for them now.

Bloody hell.. youngest of the round too, what the actual **** is that...

Weird being the youngest of the round tbh. Outside of the two KPDs and Johnson it doesn’t feel like we’re that young at all tbh.

After typing the above I realise Amiss was drafted a day before but it doesn’t feel like it at all.

It’s amazing how long it feels like our 2019 and 2020 draft classes have been playing for us. Add Jackson and Sharp to that group and it’s a serious group of players btw.

Who was on Blakey in the last 1/4?
6PR interviewed Clark after the game, and he admitted that Blakey was his man at that last stoppage.

watching the replay, second quarter. That spoil by Darcy on Grundy was something else. Anyone with the skills to make a gif of that would be highly appreciated.
Agree
Also the time Ryan calmed the situation when Davies had tried to spoil Heywood & an angry Heywood looked like he might draw a 50
Great leadership imo

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has been one of my faves since he was drafted. Cops a lot of knocks but I see him as a true forward, a jack Gunston, Bailey fritsch type. Glad he’s performing. Really compliments amiss and Treacy so well
Yeah for sure one of my freo supporting mates was saying how he was afraid whether sam would make it because of some injuries he had in the past.

3000 times the courage and toughness of the twig seagull bailey fristch plus the two way running sam isnt afraid to do which got him some touches on the wing and back half. Both these things impressed me the most today. But still had the class to pack mark and although couple of the set shots went a bit wonky they still went through and he worked hard to get those shots.

Haven’t watched the replay yet, but I’ll make a point of closely watching Darcy when I do. All the media circle jerk around Grundy and he was well beaten today. Our mids don’t do nearly so well without Darcy feeding it to them.
I looked at his stats after the game and they were really underwhelming but I felt like his impact was huge, and definitely got the better of Grundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that was fun. Now my blood pressure has returned to normal, and the banana bourbon has unwound my brain, a few things have sprung to mind:

1) Great to see Nev back kicking straight, but I was more impressed with his general play, pressure and involvement throughout. Ditto (and even more so) for Sturt. Will go a long way to being an effective contributor even when not hitting the scoreboard.

2) Speaking of Sturt, he's the class we've missed; beautiful set shot, did an amazing job on Blakely and worked his butt off all day. He seems to be a confidence guy, so hopefully he has people to regularly put their arms round him and keep him in a good space, because he's essential to keeping scoreboard pressure up.

3) Treacy was again immense. There weren't the flying marks or anything about his day that's making his highlight reel, but he just did not lose a contest (maybe 1). Every time it was kicked i50 to a pack, he'd get something on it and give us a chance. He's great up the field and such a cool head. If Sturt hadn't been pinged for overrunning he would've set that goal up through some outstanding defensive work and vision off half back. Loved him since day dot, but probably becoming my favourite player now. Cult hero already.

4) JL can coach. Great tactics today to take away the Swan's strengths. Used Fyfe outstandingly and gives me hope that we'll beat sides the time we play them after a defeat more often than not. Wagner for Aish was brave, but the right call.

5) The extra mid rotating forward works. Young is a genuine threat forward, last week wasn't a fluke - sure got pinged a few times HtB, but he'll do some damage there. Also allows Brayshaw back in the middle more which he's relishing, and aids Johnno's growth. Gives more looks to mid and fwd lines which is harder to defend and seems to improve mid/fwd connection too. Can't see Walters straight back in if it means altering this.

6) Darcy is a ****ing beast and plays perfectly with the other one in Jackson. We don't win today without Darcy monstering Grundy, and Jackson rampaging through the middle with his enormous wing span - honestly he could make my handballing look elite. That's an A-Grade midfield the Swans have, and we smashed them in the clearances.

7) We are set at KPD. Draper was immense, Davies had a few blues but was generally very good for a second gamer. Ryan is so dependable and versatile. down back. Put fit/peak Pearce and Cox back there (which is hopefully finals) and I think we keep them under 80.

8) Jordan Clarke should be AA, absolute gun. Walker is a jet, still working back but close, and Wagner, despite some mistakes, provided the dash that led to Clarke's tag being dropped. When Aish is your sub, you're travelling pretty well.

9) Banners needs a contract. He'll be cheap and I will be pissed if we lose him over pennies. Is genuinely one of the better wing/hff in the league and bleeds purple. Don't go with anything silly, but he'll be getting offers from over east.

10) Serong is like a metronome. I forgot he was playing today, not because he wasn't good, but that he's always so unnerringly and relentlessly good. Heartbeat of the club.

I don't thing we'll win the Premiership this year, but I'd argue we're one of about 6 sides who could do a 2016 Bulldogs if things click at the right time. Our clearance work is extraordinary, and the forward line seems to be gelling well. We can, of course, also be unbelievably shit (see Eagles & Bullies), so definitley not going to put the cart before the horse. However, I don't think we're anyone's first choice opponents come September. Exciting times!

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I went from nervous, to hopeful, to depressed, resigned, to in shock, elated and now in pure revelry. We deserved to win that, whatever force let that not be a goal or point needs some serious Freo love.
Yeah, feel like a footy god must've blown in his ear at just the wrong time.
One on the Freo ledger at least.

As sweet a win it was against all the odds we still made a couple of critical blunders in the last 45 seconds that could have cost us badly. Firstly Ryan needed to find a target from the kick in rather that just blaze to a pack and its a 50/50. Find an open player 20-30 metres away for a mark and its virtually game over! Secondly from the ensuing boundary throw in how can we not kill the ball in close to the ruck and force a congested situation for another ball up and again game over! We really need to clean up those end of game scenarios as they shouldn't have had the chance for a shot to win the game.

As sweet a win it was against all the odds we still made a couple of critical blunders in the last 45 seconds that could have cost us badly. Firstly Ryan needed to find a target from the kick in rather that just blaze to a pack and its a 50/50. Find an open player 20-30 metres away for a mark and its virtually game over! Secondly from the ensuing boundary throw in how can we not kill the ball in close to the ruck and force a congested situation for another ball up and again game over! We really need to clean up those end of game scenarios as they shouldn't have had the chance for a shot to win the game.
We were spent by then - this is when those short breaks can really kill a side. Came off a 5.5 day break, had to travel, we had to sticky tape a backline together - Sydney had a 7 day break, played in Sydney two weeks in a row, and are on top of the ladder. It was always going to impact the final quarter.

we did all we needed to do and got the result

Just got done watching the game and holy **** was that incredible. I thought for sure Logan was going to at least tie it up at the end there. I'd be celebrating with a bourbon but it's 8am here and my bride frowns upon morning drinking...not sure why... 😝

Some good:
  • Obviously Draper. What can you say? How is he only 19 years old and now 13 games into his career. He's gonna be a docker for a loooooong time.
  • The forward mix. Treacy with 2, Sturt with 3, Amiss with 3 and Dogga with 1. Our pressure i50 was solid (not elite though) and getting the mids more time (especially Young) up forward has been a brilliant coaching move. Honestly, we haven't seemed to miss Sonny as much as I expected in the forward line the last couple games.
  • Our contest work. We smashed them in clearances. We were the best team in clearance differential going into the game (which of course no commentator mentioned) and coming away with a 42-32 win will only help it.
  • Roles. JLo has been preaching roles for years and it's now starting to click for the entire team. They know what they're supposed to do and where to be. This is partly why were able to beat the best team in the comp when our skipper and best key defender was out. The decision making is instant because they already know where they're going with the ball. We can flick the footy around with the best teams in the comp. Team defense. Team offense. Team stoppage work.
  • Darcy. Someone else pointed this out, but he's got on top of Gawn and Grundey. Naturally, he will be the talk of Victoria media this week. 😝😝😝😝😝
  • How good does this look???!!!!

1719669097584.png

Some bad:
  • I'm not going to bag on Davies, but he clearly isn't ready to compete at the level of this kind of game...yet. On the flip side, I was saying to my wife that he needed to be subbed and within 5 minutes Aishy was in. Great move by JL.
  • Some of our contest work at the end. How does Blakey run through the stoppage unhindered to snag the ball perfectly out of the air before hitting McDonald at the end? How was there not a body on him? You can see THREE swans uncovered here. Everybody's pointing during that last stoppage but no one is marking up. I don't know crap about footy tactics, but this doesn't look right.

1719669346517.png
- FFS can someone stick a sock in Lyon's mouth? The guy brings NOTHING to the game. He just gives his opinion and states the obvious over and over and over. Zero analysis. "Gee, the Swans are getting beat in the contest" Duh. "Fremantle need to win this stoppage". No s***, sherlock. I actually don't seem to mind Jack Reiwoldt. He has some interesting things to say and doesn't bang on and on like a guy with verbal diarrhea ala Lyon.

Anyway, this was a great way to start my Saturday morning! I was optimistic going in, but not confident. We are watching the youngest team in the comp (this week) grow before our eyes. Hang on, Freo brothers and sisters. Sh**s getting real.

Go Freo!

fans foreverfreo GIF by Fremantle Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back