VFL Future direction - SANFL / AFL Reserves / PBs

The future of the Port Adelaide AFL reserves

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, I think this concept the SANFL is significantly stronger is a myth. The VFL would be totally comparable. If you loaded our reserves sides (a few years back when we had strong depth) with the sorts of top ups the other AFL sides can use, we would've won an SANFL flag. The Crows would've probably bagged one by now as well.
Then I'm sorry, but its blatant fact the SANFL is a much better and stronger competition. Once again, look at other teams like Northern bullants, Coberg, Frankston (though Frankston are ok this season) they get spanked unless they play each other. And teams like South and Westies would give em a hiding too.

I think you're just blinded by your hatred for the SANFL which is granted, but the VFL is a trash competition. As stated above, they pulled out of state games because they got spanked for years by WA and SA.

If you had someone like Choco coaching the seconds I’m sure they’d win more than they currently do.

The clubs attitude is almost like it’s a lost cause so it’s all too hard and unfair and hence we are where we are.
Imagine choco coaching the seconds getting success and then coach dodo as head coach of the firsts trying to break his record for most free Pepsi maxs consumed in a game without a piss?

Choco would sack him and make himself head coach.

Nobody at the club would have the balls to stop him either tbh..

The SANFL has confirmed it will review the list restrictions on Port Adelaide and Adelaide as part of a plan to keep the two clubs’ reserve sides playing in South Australia.
The Advertiser revealed on Thursday the clubs would continue to participate in the SANFL next year on the proviso the league addressed key concerns regarding top-up players and fixture equality.

The two clubs want to field stronger reserves’ sides to help bolster their development programs at the club in-line with the teams in the Victorian Football League. The SANFL, which has strongly opposed a national reserves competition, confirmed on Friday talks on Wednesday with the Crows, Power and the AFL were productive.

SANFL chief executive Darren Chandler said the league would review the competition rules and “in particular the conditions that apply to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football clubs”.
It is expected Adelaide and Port Adelaide will also be given more consideration regarding their fixture requests to better manage their AFL emergencies and holdover players.

“Every year, the SANFL reviews the rules that apply to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs. This year, the review has been accelerated on the back of the AFL competitive balance review,” Chandler said.

“In reviewing these rules, the league remains committed to ensuring we continue to have the best competition outside of the AFL, and one in which every club can be competitive and have every chance of winning a premiership.

“SANFL has provided its detailed submission to the AFL, highlighting that it does not support a national reserves competition and that it believes the best structure for football in South Australia is to have the two AFL clubs in the SANFL competition.”

The SANFL has confirmed it will review the list restrictions on Port Adelaide and Adelaide as part of a plan to keep the two clubs’ reserve sides playing in South Australia.
The Advertiser revealed on Thursday the clubs would continue to participate in the SANFL next year on the proviso the league addressed key concerns regarding top-up players and fixture equality.

The two clubs want to field stronger reserves’ sides to help bolster their development programs at the club in-line with the teams in the Victorian Football League. The SANFL, which has strongly opposed a national reserves competition, confirmed on Friday talks on Wednesday with the Crows, Power and the AFL were productive.

SANFL chief executive Darren Chandler said the league would review the competition rules and “in particular the conditions that apply to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football clubs”.
It is expected Adelaide and Port Adelaide will also be given more consideration regarding their fixture requests to better manage their AFL emergencies and holdover players.

“Every year, the SANFL reviews the rules that apply to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs. This year, the review has been accelerated on the back of the AFL competitive balance review,” Chandler said.

“In reviewing these rules, the league remains committed to ensuring we continue to have the best competition outside of the AFL, and one in which every club can be competitive and have every chance of winning a premiership.

“SANFL has provided its detailed submission to the AFL, highlighting that it does not support a national reserves competition and that it believes the best structure for football in South Australia is to have the two AFL clubs in the SANFL competition.”

lol

"The SANFL believes that the best structure for football in South Australia is for the two AFL clubs to remain in the SANFL competition. We have encouraged them to stay by fundamentally changing the rules of the sport and making them abide by those rules, by forcing them to top up their AFL listed players with random blokes they plucked from the local social AFL9's comp who get paid in free schnitzel vouchers for the Precinct, by umpiring them so poorly that professional wrestling referees would think that it's all a bit rigged, and by handing out $125 fines to opposition players who concuss their players while suspending their players for the slightest indiscretions."

How hard would it be to just say our rules will match the rules of the VFL.

Job done, any changes we wear as well.
Interested to know what these changes are though as I haven’t heard anyone explain it yet. The VFL top ups are just as poor as the ones here and the VFL has a much smaller salary cap than the SANFL.
There was an example a few posts back where Hately at Essendon was mentioned but we got Hately but lost Cootee, Snelling, Conforti and a couple of others to the SANFL because they could get more money and Snelling will probably win the Magarey. Montgomery even went and played country footy in Victoria over staying in the VFL and last month returned to the SANFL.
Under these current rules Port have been close to the standout teams in the SANFL and played in several Grand Finals. Crows probably should have a flag too but unlike you guys they deliberately tank in the SANFL finals. You blokes get a few injuries back and squad at full strength the Maggies would be playing finals IMO

Then I'm sorry, but its blatant fact the SANFL is a much better and stronger competition. Once again, look at other teams like Northern bullants, Coberg, Frankston (though Frankston are ok this season) they get spanked unless they play each other. And teams like South and Westies would give em a hiding too.

I think you're just blinded by your hatred for the SANFL which is granted, but the VFL is a trash competition. As stated above, they pulled out of state games because they got spanked for years by WA and SA.
It is not a fact. There is absolutely no way to prove it.

Our 2nds side has made 3 GFs in 10 years. You think we would've just cake walked to premierships in the VFL in all those years, because that's what you're saying.

There's what 14 AFL teams in the VFL out of 20. The majority of which would be AFL player loaded holding top ups out at times. And from those 14 AFL dominated teams, of those 280-350 players, all of them don't qualify for state league representative honours. Leaves 6 teams and some top ups.

It's crazy to naively say because of a representative game, based on differing structures that the VFL is weaker. Because ultimately it is a lie. Give our team some of the top ups the VFL teams have and our story would've been completely different. A couple more flags would've been won and we'd certainly not be where we are now. To think that we just easily replicate that success and more in the VFL because it's a shit league is crazy. It's a myth the SANFL uses to justify its spending and you've been sucked into it.

Last edited:
It is not a fact. There is absolutely no way to prove it.

Our 2nds side has made 3 GFs in 10 years. You think we would've just cake walked to premierships in the VFL in all those years, because that's what you're saying.

There's what 14 AFL teams in the VFL out of 20. The majority of which would be AFL player loaded holding top ups out at times. And from those 14 AFL dominated teams, of those 280-350 players, all of them don't qualify for state league representative honours. Leaves 6 teams and some top ups.

It's crazy to naively say because of a representative game, based on differing structures that the VFL is weaker. Because ultimately it is a lie. Give our team some of the top ups the VFL teams have and our story would've been completely different. A couple more flags would've been won and we'd certainly not be where we are now. To think that we just easily replicate that success and more in the VFL because it's a shit league is crazy. It's a myth the SANFL uses to justify its spending and you've been sucked into it.
What ever man. I think your blinded by your hate of the SANFL.

Do I think we wouldve won those flags in the VFL? Not necessarily, but ones things for sure, we'd never ever finish bottom but not because of restrictions or any of that but simply because of how piss weak some of the stand alone sides are. (Bullants, Coberg, frankston)

This is where I'm saying the VFL is a worse competition. You're the only one on here literally saying the VFL is a stronger comp. When it just isn't. It's dominated by the AFL teams and then maybe Port Melbourne and Williams Town pop up every now and then.

What ever man. I think your blinded by your hate of the SANFL.

Do I think we wouldve won those flags in the VFL? Not necessarily, but ones things for sure, we'd never ever finish bottom but not because of restrictions or any of that but simply because of how piss weak some of the stand alone sides are. (Bullants, Coberg, frankston)

This is where I'm saying the VFL is a worse competition. You're the only one on here literally saying the VFL is a stronger comp. When it just isn't. It's dominated by the AFL teams and then maybe Port Melbourne and Williams Town pop up every now and then.
I'm not saying it is stronger, I'm saying there's no evidence either way. It is absolutely a near equivalent league and if anything, given the way it operates if anything all the signs would point to it being stronger. But there's no way you could definitively say either way.

The AFL teams in the VFL field significantly stronger teams than the Crows and us do. That is fact. We all know this because of the limitations on our top ups. Thus if we are nearly able to win flags in the SANFL, when we have a solid list, it stands to reason that the better AFL reserves teams (VFL) would probably win them. I mean last year half of our side was an amateur league squad and we made finals. It was a massive indictment on the comp.

The only one clear falsity is the propagande the SANFL sell that it is clearly second best league when it just isnt. It's a myth. It's some badge of honour the SANFL tries to wear, like it means something, meanwhile no one else gives a shit. They're development leagues and the others know their place but the SANFL has yet to accept its and overspends trying to justify a falsehood. If you disagree then that is your opinion. Mine is that the SANFL is just a 2nd tier league that is not really anything different to the others and significantly hinders our development programs due to the restrictions we face.

The clubs attitude is almost like it’s a lost cause so it’s all too hard and unfair and hence we are where we are.

So the same strategy as the AFL team then.

I reckon the VFL will be just as bad as the SANFL re top up players given the VFL salary cap is a lot less than SANFL.

The key is getting blokes well paid jobs with sponsors.

It's not until the national reserves competition starts where the rules will be equal and given the strength of the AFLPA, the top up players will get a decent wage that this crap will be eliminated, or reduced to at satisfactory level.

No the whole point is player development.

If playing in the SANFL were an advantage, I can see the point; but it’s not. (If it were, by the way, the odds of establishing an AFL Reserve soon would be higher.) The whole idea behind the push for an AFLR is leveling the playing field; which joining the VFL would also achieve. After all, 77.8% of the AFL clubs are already there.

That’s, at least, how I see this.

It's the 'all things being equal' part that is difficult to ascertain.

Precisely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a perfect world, we would field at least THREE teams:

• AFL
  • AFL Reserves
  • SANFL (+ SANFL Reserves?)

In the state level, we would have our zones back, our own Academy and youth teams, etc. The Magpies would be just like any other SANFL team but for its ties to an AFL club.

We would have practically no advantage in drafting the players we develop. However, it wouldn’t be an issue, because the Magpies would serve for a different purpose.

We exist to win Premierships.” Its point would be to build teams able to win SANFL flags; to help preserving and nourishing a winning culture throughout the club as a whole; and to allow Port maintaining strong ties with the community. In brief, we would use it to combine the advantages of a local family club to those of a national professional club. We would be both.

Moreover, from time to time, we would end up drafting one of our own and/or bringing one back to the nest. Preseasons would be done together. Some SANFL games would be curtain-raisers of AFL ones. All of this would strengthen the link between Port’s national and state BRANCHES, reinforcing the fact that it’s ONE CLUB.

In a perfect world, I’ve said. Unfortunately, we don’t live in one.

Last edited:
It's time for a new generation to be adults and consider what is in the best interests of the development both of the players we draft and the kids in SA that want a clear progression to AFL.

I look forward to some significant improvements in 2025 as the divide and conquer tactics of both the AFL and SANFL are put aside and football is the winner.

I reckon the VFL will be just as bad as the SANFL re top up players given the VFL salary cap is a lot less than SANFL.

It's not until the national reserves competition starts where the rules will be equal and given the strength of the AFLPA, the top up players will get a decent wage that this crap will be eliminated, or reduced to at satisfactory level.
Even if they get paid less we can still find a few mature heads and bodies that know the expectations re preparation and game plan. That's still an advantage IMO and the VFL aligned clubs seem to make it work well enough to have a few mature ex afl players each

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

• AFL
  • AFL Reserves

In the state level, we would have our zones back, our own Academy and youth teams, etc. The Magpies would be just like any other SANFL team but for its ties to an AFL club.

We would have practically no advantage in drafting the players we develop. However, it wouldn’t be an issue, because the Magpies would serve for a different purpose.

We exist to win Premierships.” Its point would be to build teams able to win SANFL flags; to help preserving and nourishing a winning culture throughout the club as a whole; and to allow Port maintaining strong ties with the community. In brief, we would use it to combine the advantages of a local family club to those of a national professional club. We would be both.

Moreover, from time to time, we would end up drafting one of our own and/or bringing one back to the nest. Preseasons would be done together. Some SANFL games would be curtain-raisers of AFL ones. All of this would strengthen the link between Port’s national and state BRANCHES, reinforcing the fact that it’s ONE CLUB.

Agreed GP, I will take a lot of convincing the PAFC didn't charge into the current `One Club' set up with eyes wide shut resulting in them giving up WAY too much in the process, eg the son of a former player who could have been born in Queen street Alberton is now zoned to WWT, resulting in Port having to ask permission to play him in the Maggies on permit to apparently ascertain if he is worth drafting. o_O

It's an absolute joke there is now no direct pathway to the Maggies, and then possibly the Power for young blokes whose families could have been involved in the PAFC for generations, and you do have to wonder what the likes of Fos and Big Bob would think of the sh*t truck the club has become under the current bozos in charge, to where it now has to go cap in hand to the people who have been hoping and probably even planning for our demise for decades in the hope of getting rule changes so the Maggies can compete on an even playing field with clubs they used to regularly smack off the park!

There are Power supporters who don't appear to give a fat rat's clacker about the demise of the Maggies, but there is a saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link and so far there is zero evidence `One Club' has improved the Power's chances of ultimate success, where a better thought out and less hasty version may have.

There's also the opportunity of another AFL crack for delisted players and missed draft picks which is valuable. I mean this year we'll have Evans and Narkle probably be delisted, and the SANFL won't let them stay, but they are still handy SANFL players and the VFL not mandating they can't stay is a big bonus.

• AFL
  • AFL Reserves

I didn’t get the joke, crows dude.

There's also the opportunity of another AFL crack for delisted players and missed draft picks which is valuable. I mean this year we'll have Evans and Narkle probably be delisted, and the SANFL won't let them stay, but they are still handy SANFL players and the VFL not mandating they can't stay is a big bonus.
Thats if delisted players are prepared to play for bugger all.

If the club continues to appoint work experience kids to senior positions in the reserves team, treats it like a red-headed stepchild and only selects 178cm top up players, it won't matter what competition they play in.

You can't blame the competition for the dross that has been served up this year. They barely care about the reserves team.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Future direction - SANFL / AFL Reserves / PBs

Back