Future of player movement

Remove this Banner Ad

Do_Beta_Rapport

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
When do you think we see that clubs can trade players to a team of their (the clubs) choosing while a player is still under contract, similar to US sports?

-We now have free agency
-Players asking for trades but nominating specific clubs in multi team states (Hopper & Rich etc)
- Players tampering with the draft by saying they won’t go to X club, only want to play for Y

In the last few years we’ve seen player movement considerably evolve following a US model, will it continue on its journey?

When do you think we see that clubs can trade players to a team of their (the clubs) choosing while a player is still under contract, similar to US sports?

-We now have free agency
-Players asking for trades but nominating specific clubs in multi team states (Hopper & Rich etc)
- Players tampering with the draft by saying they won’t go to X club, only want to play for Y

In the last few years we’ve seen player movement considerably evolve following a US model, will it continue on its journey?
It won't happen here. In the NBA for instance, teams are on the road constantly, so the lure of being based at home is less. Additionally, the minimum salary is over $1 million US, with contracts up to around $60 million US per year (not including endorsements).

The financial situations of players over there make it far easier for a player to uproot their lives on a whim. Compare that to a base level AFL player who is only making just under $100k or so – it'd be far more difficult for them (not impossible of course) to move to the other side of the country against their will, especially if they have a young family and rely on their extended family/friends to help out with looking after their kids etc.

Can't see a way that the AFLPA ever agrees to the shift, and it's probably fair enough. Conversely though, there probably needs to be some give the other way in terms of players moving while contracted etc.

Tough one.

Last edited:

-We now have free agency

Although it is possible for it to head that direction, I actually think its more likely under the current direction to go the other way.

More and more players are announcing their wish to stay in their home state in draft discussions, and more players are breaking contracts. Players have more power than they used to.

I think if it is to change, as least initially, it will be by coming to head with a player finally contesting the AFL draft/trade system in the courts.

Then it will be get the popcorn out time.

The big problem is that there are plenty of players in the draft that will basically head home almost immediately if they are drafted to an interstate club.

Just this draft we have had GWS move up in the draft and West Coast split their picks and move down in the draft as both clubs wanted to avoid the group of VIC Metro kids that look to be going in picks 2 to 6. It is not good when clubs are trading away from certain parts of the draft because the only players available at that point in the draft are all massive flight risks. It creates a very lopsided draft.

The big problem is that there are plenty of players in the draft that will basically head home almost immediately if they are drafted to an interstate club.

Just this draft we have had GWS move up in the draft and West Coast split their picks and move down in the draft as both clubs wanted to avoid the group of VIC Metro kids that look to be going in picks 2 to 6. It is not good when clubs are trading away from certain parts of the draft because the only players available at that point in the draft are all massive flight risks. It creates a very lopsided draft.

We also saw North lose last years #1 pick after taking the non-VIC kid.

It won't change much further in giving power to the clubs as the AFLPA have been pretty staunch about trading players without their permission and extending draftee contract tenure. It is hard to imposse a restraint on players requesting trades under employement contracts and the like, a big difference in the US model is the money they earn where it is more feasible and tolerable to be traded without permission and have a quality of life that is so appeaaling that the home factor can be overcome. Such as this trade period we have had Rankine back to SA, Jackson back to WA, JHF back to SA, Bruhn back to Vic etc. Although home factor is still a massive part in all sports

Gws/GC and free agency have ruined afl. Not a coincidence only 1 non Vic team has won a flag in last 10 years. Gws/GC players just want to leave and go back to Victoria for most of them once they reach around 25 yr old.

Just have a COLA based on Qld and NSW footy development; and
A COLA based on ladder position

Essentially bottom teams can spend more to keep or attract players

I would personally bring in a new rule stating "if a player gets drafted to a team in a state they are not from then they get an additional 10% on their contract". This stays in place for the player, for every new contract they sign with the club they were drafted to but disappears the moment they get a trade. This applies to all players from all clubs who are drafted from a different state.

I would personally bring in a new rule stating "if a player gets drafted to a team in a state they are not from then they get an additional 10% on their contract". This stays in place for the player, for every new contract they sign with the club they were drafted to but disappears the moment they get a trade. This applies to all players from all clubs who are drafted from a different state.

yep

this needs to be investigated

I want to see players happy, as the priority but I also want to see a competition that is fair for all clubs in terms of opportunity. We clearly don't have that, evidenced by the GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't happen here. In the NBA for instance, teams are on the road constantly, so the lure of being based at home is less. Additionally, the minimum salary is over $1 million US, with contracts up to around $60 million US per year (not including endorsements).

The financial situations of players over there make it far easier for a player to uproot their lives on a whim. Compare that to a base level AFL player who is only making just under $100k or so – it'd be far more difficult for them (not impossible of course) to move to the other side of the country against their will, especially if they have a young family and rely on their extended family/friends to help out with looking after their kids etc.

Can't see a way that the AFLPA ever agrees to the shift, and it's probably fair enough. Conversely though, there probably needs to be some give the other way in terms of players moving while contracted etc.

Tough one.
Yep

At the same time melb based teams whinge about academies.

It's an absolute joke.

The reality is half the draft pool isn't available for the 4 clubs in qld and nsw.

The players either tell recruiters not to draft them or look to head home to vic after a few years.

Gws/GC and free agency have ruined afl. Not a coincidence only 1 non Vic team has won a flag in last 10 years. Gws/GC players just want to leave and go back to Victoria for most of them once they reach around 25 yr old.
you might have a point there. Saying that, the afl have pumped millions into the victorian grasroots footy such as the nab cup

Free Agency wasn’t a problem itself, but that ease in movement brought the go home factor with ineligible kids who used to stick it out short term. Effectively, young players know they can take the piss now and that’s the problem.

While clubs sending players to wherever they like won’t become a thing, there still needs be some power on their end.

What Luke Jackson did should be mandatory for players not eligible for Free Agency, i.e. you choose your state if you’re homesick, but not the club.

That gets the best deal for everyone involved and it will help with equalisation.

When a player nominates for the draft and signs a contract, they should be held to it. If they don't want to move away from their home then they should not nominate. And yes I'm aware my team directly benefitted this year when Jason Horne-Francis said he wanted to move back home, and obviously I'm happy about it, but it doesn't make it right.

If a player decides that they don't want to play for the team that drafted them anymore before their initial contract is up, they should be suspended from the competition and play in a lower league until that initial time period is up.
If every initial contract is 2 years, I think this is fair. It gives the player at the end of the first season the chance to tell the club, 'this is what I didn't like about the club this year, things need to be better next year or I'm leaving at the end of my contract.' which at least gives the club a chance to work through it, or the player just flat out says, 'I'll play for you next year, but don't expect me to stay beyond that' which at least gives the club 2 years of service and they can do whatever they want with them, if they don't buy in then leave them in the reserves to jeopardise their own career.

I don't like the nomination of a football club if they're going back to a state either, the only way to stop that is to make it illegal to nominate a club unless they've made it to a certain amount of games/years in the comp or by a certain age.

Yep

It's an absolute joke.

The reality is half the draft pool isn't available for the 4 clubs in qld and nsw.

The players either tell recruiters not to draft them or look to head home to vic after a few years.
When Brisbane was a force 20 years back their gun midfield of Voss, Black, Lappin and Aker were from southern states (Vic and WA)
They all served careers there
Would that have happened current rules?

The AFL has to look into this ASAP as what Jason McCartney said is not wrong. He effectively called it out. One very recent top 10 pick that highlight's Jason's point I can think of is Achie Perkins. The national draft can't have players saying I only want to play for a team in my state. If you are not prepared to move states, then play a state comp not a national comp. # simple

This stuff doesn't happen in the NFL NBA NHL it is a lot more professional in that regard.

Last edited:
Can see pre-agency coming in, where a team can trade a player with 1 year before free agency. The offset will be free agency compo disappears

Also can see zone trading happening.
A player requests a trade to a club, but if a better option happens in the zone, they can be sent there.

So, if players request Geelong, they could end up at Western zoned clubs like the dogs and essendon.
Request freo, you might end up at West Coast, etc

-We now have free agency

Wont Happen, AFLPA wont agree to it.

AFL stuffed up by allowing all the 'good' bits of other sports free agency/trade stuff on the players side and not giving the clubs enough power.

Only way it may happen is if the AFL went to the players with a massive raise in salary cap to get it done.

AFL should have set wages for the first 4-5 years, clubs be able to trade players for the first 4-5 years and then free agency after that. If you are any good then you'll make your money after those 4-5 years.

Yep

It's an absolute joke.

The go home factor seems to be much more of an issue for Gold Coast and GWS than Sydney and Brisbane.

Brisbane had their issues a few years back but clubs anchored to the bottom of the ladder are never desirable places for players to stay. Hasn't been as much of a problem for them since they started making finals.

But it also cuts both ways. Bowes seemed pretty cut that Gold Coast sought to get rid of him.

I think this is a problem with the AFL and the draft/recruiting players. Ultimately I think the problem stems from moving interstate for an 18 year old and be daunting when they are likely to have been living with their parents their whole lives and haven't developed the skills to be independent that typically comes from age and experience. I think moving interstate is typically less daunting for some one in their mid 20's+. I'm not sure what the solution would be exactly.

The only lever than can be pulled is the remuneration of the players. Maybe as an incentive to retain players is to have a potion of the a players pay not counted towards the salary cap if the player is from interstate relating to age.

For example, 25% of a players pay from interstate between 18~20 years old is not counted to the salary cap. 20% for players between 21-22. 15% for players 23-24. 10% for players 25-26.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back