News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why it’s the Governments job to make housing more affordable.

Can’t afford house, buy a town house or apartment.

Australian cities are unsustainable because we’re so opposed to decentralising our cities, and our population growth keeps going out, rather than up.
It may not be the governments job to make housing more affordable per se but there are quite a few factors that they were/are involved in that reduces that affordability ... eg

• government controls the level of immigration into the country
  • government sets up mechanics that treat housing as an investment vehicle rather than primarily as a place to live (think negative gearing)
  • government decides what lands will be released for development
  • government decides what zoning limits will be placed on the land
  • government sets the regulations and codes that need to be followed (eg demolishing the Gabba would cost more because it has to be a 'green' demolition
  • government sets tax laws/incentives/policies that over time increase the wealth of the more wealthy while stripping the buying power from those more in the middle (once a single income could feed a family, buy a car and a home etc)
  • allied government encourages people to be workers/consumers and discourages people from homemaking and engaging in what was once a robust household economy
  • government regulates how much property may be owned by corporations both domestic and overseas
  • government encourages people to become dependent upon government support
  • government sets the interest rates
  • government decides what fiscal behaviours banks are permitted to engage in
  • etc etc etc

Now over time we have let said governments do this of course but one could hardly call them innocent in the matter...

It may not be the governments job to make housing more affordable per se but there are quite a few factors that they were/are involved in that reduces that affordability ... eg

• government sets up mechanics that treat housing as an investment vehicle rather than primarily as a place to live (think negative gearing)
  • government sets the regulations and codes that need to be followed (eg demolishing the Gabba would cost more because it has to be a 'green' demolition
  • government sets tax laws/incentives/policies that over time increase the wealth of the more wealthy while stripping the buying power from those more in the middle (once a single income could feed a family, buy a car and a home etc)
  • allied government encourages people to be workers/consumers and discourages people from homemaking and engaging in what was once a robust household economy
  • government regulates how much property may be owned by corporations both domestic and overseas
  • etc etc etc

Now over time we have let said governments do this of course but one could hardly call them innocent in the matter...
Governments do not set interest rates. The Reserve Bank sets interest rates. In fact from time to time the presiding government has been quite vocal in criticising the Reserve Bank for their decisions. We are fortunate to have that separation in this country... Many others still do not.

• etc etc etc

Also I'm curious as to how government encourages people to become dependent on government support. I would hardly think (a) the extent of unemployment/age pension benefits or (b) advancements in superannuation policy over the last 40 years support this view.

Governments do not set interest rates. The Reserve Bank sets interest rates. In fact from time to time the presiding government has been quite vocal in criticising the Reserve Bank for their decisions. We are fortunate to have that separation in this country... Many others still do not.
While I agree with the sentiment, federal governments past and present really have come to rely too heavily on being able to shift blame to an independent body for interest rates. It really shit me these last few years when there's plenty of knobs the government could tweak to reduce inflation by reducing money from the economy, but they'd rather sit on their hands and let the "one size screws all" interest rates be the only one in use because they can't be blamed about that.

Also wanting to point out that the housing crisis isn’t primarily a monetary/infrastructure issue, it’s a policy issue. It’s being wilfully exacerbated by things like negative gearing and tax breaks etc.

If you removed negative gearing and taxed unoccupied homes/3rd+ homes, the housing market would collapse overnight.

Bloody tight arse IOC, stump up some more cash now or the Olympics will be held at Perry Park.
We might get lucky and A$ increases to around .80cent mark.
I doubt it gets to that high of around $1.10 though.
The graph goes to Nov 2023 the rate being $0.6513
EDIT - As grasshopper pointed out i have this the wrong way around.

1708390033286.png

Last edited:
We might get lucky and A$ increases to around .80cent mark.
I doubt it gets to that high of around $1.10 though.
The graph goes to Nov 2023 the rate being $0.6513

View attachment 1909060
We actually want the dollar to depreciate. If it were to increase to $1.10 that $1.6bn suddenly becomes only AUD$1.5bn.

On the other hand if our $ drops to 50c against the USD, that $1.6bn becomes AUD$3.2bn.

A rising dollar is great for us when we travel overseas, but not for attracting business and investment in Australia from abroad, because the same capital they contribute won't go as far.

Gees wonder if ticket prices would be a bit more reasonable with a 60,000 seating capacity…..💰💰

Attachments

• E45EE5A9-067A-4CEB-B4BE-802808CDFD42.png
    E45EE5A9-067A-4CEB-B4BE-802808CDFD42.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 64
We actually want the dollar to depreciate. If it were to increase to $1.10 that $1.6bn suddenly becomes only AUD$1.5bn.

On the other hand if our $ drops to 50c against the USD, that $1.6bn becomes AUD$3.2bn.

A rising dollar is great for us when we travel overseas, but not for attracting business and investment in Australia from abroad, because the same capital they contribute won't go as far.
You are correct i added an edit to my post.
Thanks for the pickup.

Bro what on earth are you looking at lol

Think top grade tickets are like $70 max usually
That’s the prices atm?
Actually lowest price is now $225!
Aisle seating gone.
Guess we’ll have this happen every 2nd week if we’re stuck with such a small ground for the future.

You’d think the Lions would be talking about this issue wouldn’t you? But haven’t heard anything….footy becoming just for the wealthy in Brisbane.

You’d think the Lions would be talking about this issue wouldn’t you? But haven’t heard anything….footy becoming just for the wealthy in Brisbane.
Unfortunately as the saying goes, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees wonder if ticket prices would be a bit more reasonable with a 60,000 seating capacity…..💰💰
Thats a VIP section. But yes, if we had a 50 - 60 k capacity venue there would be more tickets available at varying prices.
Possibly not all tickets have gone on sale yet see this article.
It may just mean it is close to a sellout and only limited seats available.

“We’re seeing unprecedented demand for memberships ahead of Opening Round, recently cracking 37,000.,” Swan said.

“2,000 tickets were released in early December as part of a pre-sale which were snapped up within 48 hours.

“We expect there will only be a limited supply released on Wednesday and urge fans to get in as quickly as possible.”

Ah yes, the irony. After 21 years it looks like the Broncos will be back at ANZ Stadium 🤷

Exhibit A your honour why I never use sponsor names to describe stadiums.

Huh? Sponsorship at the highest $ value is all about naming rights. Spend max dollars, name the stadium, spend lower level to have logo in most prominent jersey position and on the screen behind every interview. And so on.

Huh? Sponsorship at the highest $ value is all about naming rights. Spend max dollars, name the stadium, spend lower level to have logo in most prominent jersey position and on the screen behind every interview. And so on.
That's fine, but it's always been Lang Park to me and still is.

Which a real shame for the sponsors of Kardinia Park and Docklands!

Thats a VIP section. But yes, if we had a 50 - 60 k capacity venue there would be more tickets available at varying prices.
Possibly not all tickets have gone on sale yet see this article.
It may just mean it is close to a sellout and only limited seats available.

“We’re seeing unprecedented demand for memberships ahead of Opening Round, recently cracking 37,000.,” Swan said.

“2,000 tickets were released in early December as part of a pre-sale which were snapped up within 48 hours.

“We expect there will only be a limited supply released on Wednesday and urge fans to get in as quickly as possible.”

That’s was all that’s left then which now looks cheap compared to the current starting price of $225! There’s nothing else left….

It’s ridiculous for a game of footy unless a few lucky tickets go up tomorrow - which will probably be priced accordingly I’d say!

If only we had a bigger ground….maybe it’s a political ploy to limit the popularity of Afl in our state? Will drive people away from Afl if they’re going to charge those prices.

On the 28th of November 2018 the Qld Government received a 200 page "Stadium Taskforce Report".
According to this report the lifetime of The Gabba was 11.6 years.
So, that time is up come May/June 2029.
Recommendation 5.4 was the reason the Qld Government purchased "Gabba Towers" that 12 story building just outside the gates.
Possibly some other unknown assets too.
Does mentions - look into a cost effective inprovements using existing infostructure.
I assume this ended up being "The Validation Report" for the different costs being the 4 options offered.
So, Governments do actually act on reports sometimes.
......................................................................................
Recommendation 5.4
Fast track the consolidation of ownership of assets adjacent to the Gabba to provide a once off opportunity to develop a seamless major entry and activation point for the Gabba via the proposed new Woolloongabba Station
It is noted that the Premier of Queensland supports the study, which will investigate whether south east Queensland could deliver a successful games through a cost effective and scaleddown approach, making use of existing infrastructure. Enhancements to the Gabba may be investigated as part of the feasibility study.
.......................................................................................
1708417329625.png
1708418866416.png

On the 28th of November 2018 the Qld Government received a 200 page "Stadium Taskforce Report".
According to this report the lifetime of The Gabba was 11.6 years.
So, that time is up come May/June 2029.
Recommendation 5.4 was the reason the Qld Government purchased "Gabba Towers" that 12 story building just outside the gates.
Possibly some other unknown assets too.
Does mentions - look into a cost effective inprovements using existing infostructure.
I assume this ended up being "The Validation Report" for the different costs being the 4 options offered.
So, Governments do actually act on reports sometimes.
......................................................................................
Recommendation 5.4
Fast track the consolidation of ownership of assets adjacent to the Gabba to provide a once off opportunity to develop a seamless major entry and activation point for the Gabba via the proposed new Woolloongabba Station
It is noted that the Premier of Queensland supports the study, which will investigate whether south east Queensland could deliver a successful games through a cost effective and scaleddown approach, making use of existing infrastructure. Enhancements to the Gabba may be investigated as part of the feasibility study.
.......................................................................................
View attachment 1909368
View attachment 1909386
That sure is fascinating…..somehow the Gabba has become so political the decisions on its future may not be based on facts however.

The media have led a Crusade against…and with crisafulli & greens against it & Miles unable to sell or even discuss the benefits of the Olympics& a rebuild, it seems like it will all be parked & the money just pump up the government surplus instead. I got to 7 games at Gabba last year, based on demand & pricing for round 1, I won’t be going to any this year.

That sure is fascinating…..somehow the Gabba has become so political the decisions on its future may not be based on facts however.

The media have led a Crusade against…and with crisafulli & greens against it & Miles unable to sell or even discuss the benefits of the Olympics& a rebuild, it seems like it will all be parked & the money just pump up the government surplus instead. I got to 7 games at Gabba last year, based on demand & pricing for round 1, I won’t be going to any this year.
Better off buying a membership.

That’s was all that’s left then which now looks cheap compared to the current starting price of $225! There’s nothing else left….

It’s ridiculous for a game of footy unless a few lucky tickets go up tomorrow - which will probably be priced accordingly I’d say!

If only we had a bigger ground….maybe it’s a political ploy to limit the popularity of Afl in our state? Will drive people away from Afl if they’re going to charge those prices.
When i clicked on your ticket screenshot i just saw the "VIP" part thinking they must be pretty good seats.
Just had a look at where they are and not worth that price. But as they say your house is worth as much as someone will pay for it.
If i drew them in a PF best available lottery i would not complain but that is a completely different situation.
However, i would know the price beforehand.

Are you actually trying to buy some tickets or just noticed the prices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back