Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but Clohesy has arguably been our best in the twos in recent weeks. George Stevens has also looked great. Ollie Dempsey was arguably BOG last night, these guys VFL form is just as good as Dempsey's was. At least Neale will be back in for Hawkins, I hope.
These guys are going fairly well but Dempsey absolutely took the piss last year in the VFL and looked our best player by a mile. They're not remotely comparable.

I'll be at the VFL tomorrow and that's really the best way to judge.

Throughout the recent patch, I remain of the belief that Hardie should have been played, even as a stop-gap measure. He has the right instincts of a mature midfielder. And when Danger was out we just didn't have enough of those.

Despite what some on here speculate, it is possible that the selection committee are getting it wrong. They have a habit, for example, of playing one too may talls. 2022 was about the only year when we didn't do that.

I thought Benny Cas had a point last night on K-Rock. His basic point is that the VFL squad are doing everything right, 8 wins in a row whilst the seniors are struggling to win quarters, and the message seems to be that the same few guys bounce in and out of the team, with nobody else getting rewarded.

Years back Nick Del Santo and the other Stk bloke who is now a fox footy pundit , they were clearly in Stk best side , but they were horribly out of form , so Ross Lyon got sick of them , and dropped both of them in the 1 week

Chris Scott will not do that , surely after last nights pathetic effort , he drops a couple/few senior players and promotes a couple of players who are playing well in the VFL

Years back Nick Del Santo and the other Stk bloke who is now a fox footy pundit , they were clearly in Stk best side , but they were horribly out of form , so Ross Lyon got sick of them , and dropped both of them in the 1 week

Chris Scott will not do that , surely after last nights pathetic effort , he drops a couple/few senior players and promotes a couple of players who are playing well in the VFL

Let's not compare Scott to Ross Lyon good grief.

Whatever he does, I hope he never emulates Ross Lyon.
There are other stories that would curl your hair-if you have any left.

Brad Close has avoided criticism all year, he’s been very average and I’d rather Mannagh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes watching the replay, among other things he’s not exactly straight lining the ball when he needs to. We don’t expect he & Miers to be contested machines as they offer other things, but they do need to play their part in the physical side when required.

Leigh Montagna

Creative? Pfftt.....not using crayons. But Scott acknowledging BF pain here?

“I still think our best is pretty good, but we’ve just got some holes where we feel as if we need to be a bit creative at the moment in how we go after filling those roles and sometimes that causes a bit of pain.”

Attachments

• cat-butt-stuck-in-the-hole oh.jpg
    cat-butt-stuck-in-the-hole oh.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 13

I’d take it seriously if you used Clarko, Roos, Longmire or Hardwick as your examples but Lyon, there’s a reason that guy will never win a flag, benched Ball for most of the last quarter in the 09 Grand Final too.

Well lets try Malcolm Blight , does he get a pass mark in your coaches book !!!

I will nearly put my house on it , he dropped Peter Riccardi ( pretty talented player ) and there was another one , he dropped 2 senior players in the 1 week
Malcolm Blight cost us a flag in 93 coz he was sooky about losing 92

I think we have the wrong leaders. Obviously more obvious after Selwood, but we need someone to galvanize the team. Stewart needs to just be a mongrel quality defender and focus on that.
I’m not sure Stewart has that kind of dog in him tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have the wrong leaders. Obviously more obvious after Selwood, but we need someone to galvanize the team. Stewart needs to just be a mongrel quality defender and focus on that.

I never considered Stewart a leader and was amazed that he seemed the posters favourite to take over from Selwood (and now from Danger).
Shows zero leadership on the field, Holmes shows more. Bruhn shows more.

Well lets try Malcolm Blight , does he get a pass mark in your coaches book !!!

I will nearly put my house on it , he dropped Peter Riccardi ( pretty talented player ) and there was another one , he dropped 2 senior players in the 1 week
Loved blight, loved the footy we played under him, but didn’t win us a flag though!
Scott has won us 2.

Scott mentioned in his press conference that our skills and execution were off. I think we have been playing like that for 7 weeks. Our skills are not good in general. He also mentioned we put ourselves in a position to win the game at the end of the 3rd quarter. He said the same last week. 27 points behind at 3/4 time having been smashed all over the field, we were at best a long shot to win the game. It's pretty obvious Geelong is not able to play out games. Geelong is struggling to play with any intensity for half a game. If Scott continues to talk like this it will be hard to take him seriously. At 3/4 time I was hoping for an honourable loss but we couldn't even do that. The last quarter was embarrassing. I was wearing my small logo Geelong jacket when I ordered a coffee from my regular cafe this morning. The owner said you've got guts wearing that after last night. As a St Kilda supporter he gets it.

Last edited:
I’d take it seriously if you used Clarko, Roos, Longmire or Hardwick as your examples but Lyon, there’s a reason that guy will never win a flag, benched Ball for most of the last quarter in the 09 Grand Final too.

The old school coaches didn't care if they rode a player with mental health issues into the ground. Or care about their feelings. And with new enlightenment, there are still some that do it better than others. If you get my drift.

It's a huge source of pride to me that our Club is proactive in that area. Scott leads by example, and doesn't act above others, take forgoing total salary in the Covid lockdown and consulting Senior players about his future. So yeah, we might in anger, shitcan his selection moves, but we have the best when it comes to culture.

I never considered Stewart a leader and was amazed that he seemed the posters favourite to take over from Selwood (and now from Danger).
Shows zero leadership on the field, Holmes shows more. Bruhn shows more.

I liked Atkins, am also a fan of Zach Guthrie and what he's shown - I think at times people can confuse who's the best leader with who's the best player, but they don't necessarily overlap

In 2022, the decision we made to reduce the leadership group down to Captain Selwood with support of Dangerfield & Stewart as VCs worked with the squad we had at the time

But with a look at our current squad & a look to the future, I wouldn't have minded seeing one or two younger players added to the leadership group, if not last year then at least this season and think it's a must for next season

We need to look ahead at who our next captain is after Dangerfield, as I'm not sure that Stewart really should be seen as next cab off the rank for the captaincy. He hasn't had the best of times lately, especially with opposition teams starting to put extra time into him, add in that the team hasn't been going too well on the field & this during his run as acting captain - it's not necessarily that the captaincy is an added burden, but if having him step back a bit from that can help him focus a bit more on himself & his own return to form, then surely it's something that should be considered, even by Tom himself

IF Dangerfield does play on next season, we really need to use it as an opportunity to nurture the next gen of leaders & not just role out the same pairing again

SDK needs to f”ing stand up to his brother. He just accepts a battering meekly every time then hugs and laughs it off at the end.
Tom bullies him every time now, and timid SDK and the rest of our timid team just let it happen.
Sets the tone for the game and we roll over. Again.

To make things worse, the umpires let it all go on presumably due to some brothers will fight bullcrap. They were also terrible.

End rant or melt or whatever you want to call it. Not a happy camper over here.

SDK needs to f”ing stand up to his brother. He just accepts a battering meekly every time then hugs and laughs it off at the end.
Tom bullies him every time now, and timid SDK and the rest of our timid team just let it happen.
Sets the tone for the game and we roll over. Again.

To make things worse, the umpires let it all go on presumably due to some brothers will fight bullcrap. They were also terrible.

End rant or melt or whatever you want to call it. Not a happy camper over here.
Unfortunately that's his personality.. has never managed to get back his first year form - whether that's over coaching, injuries **** knows but he's a shadow of the SDK we saw in his first year which is sad. Players are supposed to get better not worse

These guys are going fairly well but Dempsey absolutely took the piss last year in the VFL and looked our best player by a mile. They're not remotely comparable.

I agree but thats what mannagh is doing this year.

And as good as Dempsey was going (as he was zooming), Mannagh had him covered easily.
The obsession with Mannagh is over the top. He had 27 and 6 in the VFL grand final last year, exceptional no doubt. He also had 13 touches and 1.0 in the first winning final, and 19 touches and 1.2 in the second final.

If you think Miers, Close, Stengle or Ollie H - or Dempsey, who is 4 years his junior and looks like becoming a genuine gun - would have been that mediocre/invisible in two consecutive winning finals - in the seconds - you’re dreaming. I would like to see Mannagh get some games but he’s so far from being the missing link or the next Stewart/Podsiadly it’s not funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back