Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of his hand balling ability, the one he hoisted down Dangerfield’s throat for a running goal in the second term last night was pretty f***en impressive
I reckon that was the moment when Tigers supporters realised booing GAJ was absolutely futile

I find the comparisons to Matthews confusing. Ablett is taller, faster in both acceleration and top speed, more stamina, more agile, a longer and more accurate kick in general play (despite having to execute skills in a much faster and higher pressure environment), a longer and more accurate kick at goal (higher goals/behinds ratio, routinely kicks goals from beyond 50), better handpasser.

What's the argument for Matthews besides him cashing in for high stats against other slow amateurs?

I find the comparisons to Matthews confusing. Ablett is taller, faster in both acceleration and top speed, more stamina, more agile, a longer and more accurate kick in general play (despite having to execute skills in a much faster and higher pressure environment), a longer and more accurate kick at goal (higher goals/behinds ratio, routinely kicks goals from beyond 50), better handpasser.

What's the argument for Matthews besides him cashing in for high stats against other slow amateurs?
clap2.gif

One can only assume you didn't see Matthews play, as your post is laced with assumptions and guesswork. Stamina ? Ablett's ''top speed'' ? Is this a serious post ? Ablett isn't even overy quick. Certainly not to the point it's a competition weapon.

Ablett being 4cm taller is a non-issue, especially as Matthews was the better contested mark, which is the only advantage those 4cm may have delivered Ablett.

Matthews had a better footy IQ, was more agile, not less as you assert (his swivel/pivot was incomparable and better than Ablett's), was a better contested mark, had better goal sense, and was tougher around the contest. Matthews won contested footy that Ablett is incapable of winning.

Matthews was the better ''footballer''. Matthews averaged 27 disposals one year as Hawthorn's premier on-baller and kicked 91 goals.

I agree that it's difficult to compare eras, however, Matthews feats, including 9 Best & Fairests in strong sides (one as a teenager in a flag year), is unparalleled.

And as mentioned earlier, Matthews didn't spend his first 5-6 years as a permanent small forward barely warming up.

Matthews was easily the best player in the most contested era of footballer. Ablett has been a great player in the most uncontested era of football. It's a no contest.

And as mentioned earlier, Matthews didn't spend his first 5-6 years as a permanent small forward barely warming up.

Matthews was easily the best player in the most contested era of footballer. Ablett has been a great player in the most uncontested era of football. It's a no contest.

Matthews averaged 6 disposals more and less goals than Ablett after 100 games played.
It's not like Matthews was this 30 disposal and 3 goal per game forward when he began either.

And what makes you think footy in the 60's and 70's was more contested than today's footy?

Today's game is not too dissimilar to rugby. We have the most numbers around the contest than at any other time in footy history.
It's why so many rule changes are being forced by the AFL to open it up and Ablett still dominates as we speak.

One can only assume you didn't see Matthews play, as your post is laced with assumptions and guesswork. Stamina ? Ablett's ''top speed'' ? Is this a serious post ? Ablett isn't even overy quick. Certainly not to the point it's a competition weapon.

Ablett being 4cm taller is a non-issue, especially as Matthews was the better contested mark, which is the only advantage those 4cm may have delivered Ablett.

Matthews had a better footy IQ, was more agile, not less as you assert (his swivel/pivot was incomparable and better than Ablett's), was a better contested mark, had better goal sense, and was tougher around the contest. Matthews won contested footy that Ablett is incapable of winning.

Matthews was the better ''footballer''. Matthews averaged 27 disposals one year as Hawthorn's premier on-baller and kicked 91 goals.

I agree that it's difficult to compare eras, however, Matthews feats, including 9 Best & Fairests in strong sides (one as a teenager in a flag year), is unparalleled.

Matthews was the best footballer in a period of football where most players weren't paid, the competition was confined to a single state and games were incredibly high scoring. The only thing Matthews beats Ablett Jr at is hitting blokes. GAJ could use a few lessons from the only player to ever get charged with assault from an on field incident.

Matthews averaged 6 disposals more and less goals than Ablett after 100 games played.
Incorrect.

Matthews averaged 7 disposals more per game and averaged well over half a goal more per game after their first 100. 210 goals to 135. Try again.

Yes, today's footy is an unsightly scrimmage. It's either keepings off or a mess. The great contests of the past are a distant memory.

Matthews was the best footballer in a period of football where most players weren't paid, the competition was confined to a single state and games were incredibly high scoring. The only thing Matthews beats Ablett Jr at is hitting blokes. GAJ could use a few lessons from the only player to ever get charged with assault from an on field incident.

Ah first Dunstall now Matthews.

You blokes are amazing where you'll go to talk up your own blokes.

Incorrect.

Matthews averaged 7 disposals more per game and averaged well over half a goal more per game after their first 100. 210 goals to 135. Try again.

Yes, today's footy is an unsightly scrimmage. It's either keepings off or a mess. The great contests of the past are a distant memory.

My mistake.
Anyway, my point remains, Matthews was good but he definitely wasn't great when he began.
22 disposals and 2 goals compared to 15 disposals and 1.5 goals is hardly a lopsided contest.

Having this debate with a Melbourne supporter will always draw out your hatred toward anything Geelong.

And Junior has one of the best footy IQ's in the game.
Rarely does he ever made the wrong decisions. Junior not only coped well with a tag but he would cause opposition coaches to quit all together and target the next best midfielder.
Matthews only put up with part time tags in his day and that also began midway through his career no thanks to Carlton who often did a number on him.

Paul Roos on the weekend said Ablett junior was the best he's seen in his time for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
That statement got my attention too....He’s played against all of GAS, Carey, Lockett, Matthews & Dunstall... And he’s coached against Judd & GAJ, so when he said GAJ is clearly the best he’s seen it must be taken notice of.

Matthews won 8 Best and Fairests, not 9 (still an incredible achievement in a strong side)

To me both Abletts share the best player ever tag, senior was amazing to watch, and junior turned out to just as amazing, some of us are lucky enough to have seen them both play.

I hope his son plays and our grandchildren have a same conversation about him being as good as his dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthews won contested footy that Ablett is incapable of winning.

This is laughable, especially when you consider the difference in how the game is played today (much more stoppage-based) and the tenfold difference in tackling and defensive pressure.

Ablett Jnr's clean, confident and decisive contested ball and ground ball work was so good at his peak that opposition literally could barely lay a hand on him.

Matthews spent a lot of time playing 2nd rover, starting in the fwd pocket. He also played seasons as a permanent fwd.

As Damon_3388 posted above, footy is so much more contested than it was when Lethal was playing. Players pretty much stuck to their positions, if there was a stoppage you'd have 2 to maybe 8 players involved, now it's 32 within 20m of the ball.

Matthews spent a lot of time playing 2nd rover, starting in the fwd pocket. He also played seasons as a permanent fwd.

As Damon_3388 posted above, footy is so much more contested than it was when Lethal was playing. Players pretty much stuck to their positions, if there was a stoppage you'd have 2 to maybe 8 players involved, now it's 32 within 20m of the ball.

41 possessions, 11 goals is a pretty impressive effort for a forward pocket/2nd rover.

Polly Farmer is considered by many the greatest ruckman ever. Yet his goals and hitouts are on par with Jon Ceglar. Got him covered in possessions though. Grundy is a lot closer in possessions, with less goals and more hitouts.

41 possessions, 11 goals is a pretty impressive effort for a forward pocket/2nd rover.

Polly Farmer is considered by many the greatest ruckman ever. Yet his goals and hitouts are on par with Jon Ceglar. Got him covered in possessions though. Grundy is a lot closer in possessions, with less goals and more hitouts.

Sorry, can't find the bit where I said he was fwb pocket / 2nd rover in every single game he played.

Why would you throw Polly at me? You must think I'm an insecure Hawthorn supporter, who flood every thread where there's a hint that everyone doesn't think that every Hawthorn player in every position isn't the best ever and a player from any other side might be half good.

Anyway, threads about Ablett, not ruckmen.

Sorry, can't find the bit where I said he was fwb pocket / 2nd rover in every single game he played.

Why would you throw Polly at me? You must think I'm an insecure Hawthorn supporter, who flood every thread where there's a hint that everyone doesn't think that every Hawthorn player in every position isn't the best ever and a player from any other side might be half good.

Anyway, threads about Ablett, not ruckmen.

Thread is about the best player ever. Polly is seen as some as the best player ever, many as the best ruck ever.

People are comparing Barney's stats to GAJ. Im comparing Polly to a mid level ruckman to show you cant just go on stats.

1.Carey
2.Snr
3.Lockett
4.Mathews
5.Jr

I have him at 5th all time.

Garry sustained a 99/100 level for many many years, never reaching 100/100.

However Chris Judd was 100/100 at his best.

Ablett circa 2014 (before the shoulder injury) is the highest level of footy I've seen. I don't reckon Judd ever surpassed those heights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back