Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

They gave every other State a chance to claim gather round thanks to their non-attendance.
A prime-time Sat night slot and they pull a mid 20k crowd? Pathetic.
What a absolute blinkered analysis. The AFL did port no favors with the scheduling of a double header, people like me, a port member, busy on day of ticket allocation, couldn't go, but melbourne and essendon supporters weren't going to sit in more than 2 hours of rain for teams they don't care for. It's a little smug for a team that got a standalone game, in dry weather to complain about the attendance. It was a sellout and most of the empty seats were not port supporters not rocking up.

What a absolute blinkered analysis. The AFL did port no favors with the scheduling of a double header, people like me, a port member, busy on day of ticket allocation, couldn't go, but melbourne and essendon supporters weren't going to sit in more than 2 hours of rain for teams they don't care for. It's a little smug for a team that got a standalone game, in dry weather to complain about the attendance. It was a sellout and most of the empty seats were not port supporters not rocking up.
I’m crying buckets of tears for you

Just pointing out the low level of thought that has gone into some posts re crowd. Who ever gets Gather Round next year, they will learn a lot from the mistakes of this year. Overall a huge success, but could have been better.
Though you excuse for not being able to purchase a ticket a bit lame, surely you know someone that could help you

What a load of rubbish. Are you trying to tell me 25,000 Port supporters couldn't get tickets when you had the chance (and it was more than one day). There would have been less than 5,000 Melb and Essendon supporters that came over for their game. The rest of the 'sold out' tickets were Port supporters who didn't show up because it was raining.
As I said, pretty pathetic.

You’re lucky it was a double header and you got credited with 45k, outside of showdowns that’s your biggest crowd in ages

They gave every other State a chance to claim gather round thanks to their non-attendance.
A prime-time Sat night slot and they pull a mid 20k crowd? Pathetic.
How many you think would have shown up in that rain had the Crows played? It didn't look just a light shower or two? I get there's the port/crows shit fight but being objective and realistic what crowd do you think Crows pull?

Just pointing out the low level of thought that has gone into some posts re crowd. Who ever gets Gather Round next year, they will learn a lot from the mistakes of this year. Overall a huge success, but could have been better.
Always going to be things to learn after the first year. As someone who just didn't get it and why it was needed I've thought it's looked ok on TV & I get why the states would want it for tourism dollars & the AFL to get paid from the states so commercially it makes sense I guess. Generally speaking good crowds, to get 40k+ to Rich/Swans is a great effort. Shame about rain yesterday as that dampens the crowds I'm sure.

Does anyone living Adelaide have thoughts on the city eg does it seem busier? Is there a buzz about? Or is that mostly media spiv as they've gotta try hard to sell the concept?

I think they should keep it in S.A next year, let the other states get more FOMO then start moving around a bit so that states who get to host it then get behind it as it's a 'special event.' I'd be worried that tying it to one state will lose its fizz after a couple years of novelty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching C9 Sunday Footy show. Mali is doing us well re the gather round. Killed Gil in the Handball comp. Also Damo and TJ earlier in the show praising SA and their compelling argument for making SA, The Gather Round State PERMANENT. Because its central and good for grass roots supporters from everywhere to come here easily.

Just finished watching C9 Sunday Footy show. Mali is doing us well re the gather round. Killed Gil in the Handball comp. Also Damo and TJ earlier in the show praising SA and their compelling argument for making SA, The Gather Round State PERMANENT. Because its central and good for grass roots supporters from everywhere to come here easily.
Did I miss it, but they didn’t review the Crows game?

I was always of the opinion that the Gather Round should be a rotational thing. We’ve done a great job, but every other state should get a chance to host it too. I’m sure most will do a great job as well. If it stays in one state, the novelty will wear off and concept will burn out after a few years. We should also get a chance to travel to other states to have a footy festival adventure too.

I agree Port should have got the stand alone Friday night slot, putting them in the double header was a bit unfair and the weather was trash I'm sure if it was nice day more Port fans would have gone to the first game. It's not Port fans fault that the schedule and weather was shit for them

I agree Port should have got the stand alone Friday night slot, putting them in the double header was a bit unfair and the weather was trash I'm sure if it was nice day more Port fans would have gone to the first game. It's not Port fans fault that the schedule and weather was s**t for them
When was the last time a SA side had a Friday night game. :think:

Do double header matches entitle you to see both matches and if yes do you get a pass out between games? That would be massive for businesses in the CBD and North Adelaide. The Queens Head Hotel and Catherall would be impossible to move and eat in. The Parade would like Gather Round every week.

Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back