• Brodie Smith

• Patrick Parnell

• Tom Doedee

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at a season as a whole, did Milera go backwards? He should be to us what Rozee is to Port. Our decision making or accuracy under pressure needs serious work.
Good: Season is over!
Bad: our inability to play 4 quarters!
Ugly: our mid to forward connection. It’s non existent.

He never had a good season. Had the hype, the potential and then got the injuries. Cruel to be sure but people are disappointed based on what they hoped he would be rather than what he ever showed so no, I don't think he went backwards because I don't think he ever got out of the starting gates. Some decent early games were inflated by people wanting him to become brilliant. Would he have done so without the injuries? Maybe, but also maybe not.

What proof is there that Milera “sees the game well”? Skill? Maybe, but I never get the sense he sees the game, mostly because for long stretches of almost every game you don’t see him at all.
His positioning is good, but just not fit enough to stay in the game.

Should never have played tonight, he was tiring before the injury. Should have been cue in rack 3 games ago.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are a bit of a blue-collar, workman styled team. Reckon last few rounds we have looked a bit tired and beaten up. Laird's numbers heavily down, Keays not moving like he was earlier in the season etc. All fell apart tonight in the perfect storm - Port legend retiring in a dead-rubber game with no high-stakes - they were always going to win and win well.

Plenty of positives out of this season. Some great sign from some players. We have a pretty good idea of a few we can get rid and those that have their final chance. Finished on the ladder about where we deserved as well.
Highly paid professionals with elite fitness - tired. Lol. AFL Footballers in Old People's Home..coming to 7 soon!

I suspect age is the only reason he is a "leader". Have never seen any leadership qualities watching our games live during his career.

He never directs positioning, does not have a "voice" out there at all.

Yes he was an elite HB. Has had a great career. Not all great players are leaders. He is one who was great at his role and being that cog. A vital cog in the 2015 to 2017 GF push. But I don't think he sees the bigger picture in the game. Hence he could never transition to midfield.

Like Laird did.

A few of the young defenders have talked up Brodie as a leader for them, but he’s definitely lost his consistency.

Think we'll be able to go with them for a half, before they get on a roll and the skis come out.

Westhoff Finlayson to win the medal.
Lost interest and didn't watch the game but looks like I got the first part right.

bad

parnell
clearly cooked about 3 weeks ago.. shouldve been dropped back then.. will do well with another preseason.

murphy, mchenry, rowe, milera
what did they provide?.. NOTHING. so disappointing. as if the dogs would’ve been watching that thinking.. “yeah, we need that Rowe lad”..

Tex had a stinker

worse than bad

smith.. Just retire. its over, the game has passed you by. its getting embarrassing now.

hinge.. why were you giving up on contests and squibbing?.. its not like you.

diabolically bad.. just pure s**t.

Ben Keays.. seriously I’ve been saying it for a long time now and coped a lot of flack in here for doing so.. but how can anyone continue to defend this useless spud I will never know. he’s up there as one of the worst foorballer’s in the league. GET RID OF HIM BEFORE HE DOES ANY MORE DAMAGE FFS.

good

not much. Fogs first half. some good grabs from TT. Soligo. berry. worrell.

ROB played a dominant game..

seasons over. get Rankine and try and grab some mature aged KP defenders from somewhere. Butts and Murray are bit of a worry.. then we need to target a classy mid next year to trade in. theres * all available this year unfortunately.. hopper maybe..
Roo mentioned in the commentary at the end of the game that a kpd is needed
Edit. Also i don't think butts or murray are bad at all. They suffer from our shit midfield not stopping the opposition from getting easy entries. The best defenders in the comp would struggle

Last edited:
He never had a good season. Had the hype, the potential and then got the injuries. Cruel to be sure but people are disappointed based on what they hoped he would be rather than what he ever showed so no, I don't think he went backwards because I don't think he ever got out of the starting gates. Some decent early games were inflated by people wanting him to become brilliant. Would he have done so without the injuries? Maybe, but also maybe not.
Perhaps it was more a match or two, but I definitely remember thinking this kid had silky skills once upon a time

Highly paid professionals with elite fitness - tired. Lol. AFL Footballers in Old People's Home..coming to 7 soon!
Of course any AFL player has a decent fitness level, but not all get to a elite fitness level. Can make the difference in close games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones and McAsey both had elite attributes in their bios and were drafted in positions most expected, stop rewriting history to suit a narrative. Galucci was the only genuine reach that came from nowhere.
Jones was a workman. Got some underage accolades through sheer hard work. Not natural skill.

In most draft bios his weakness was "decision making". Not ideal for a mid.

McAsey had kicking and athletiscm as negatives. In the modern game two important attributes. And issues we have seen.

Neither should have been top 10 draft picks.

And that drafting hole is killing us now.

Bad : there were large chunks of that game where I forgot Tex, McHenry, Milera, Rowe, Hinge, Rowe, Laird, Smith were even on the ground.

shoe was good in the first half and anonymous after half time too.

hinge just didn’t go a few time when he should have. not as in was soft, but just held back when guarding space when the judgement call was to hit the contest.
yeah… but you just said Keays was ok..

not sure I can take anything else you say seriously after that..

Jones was a workman. Got some underage accolades through sheer hard work. Not natural skill.

In most draft bios his weakness was "decision making". Not ideal for a mid.

McAsey had kicking and athletiscm as negatives. In the modern game two important attributes. And issues we have seen.

It doesn’t excuse your original statement, Chayce was rated as a first rounder and so was McAsey, taking them where we did wasn’t a reach. Both had attributes that could translate to an elite player at AFL level, but it hasn’t worked out.

We are a bit of a blue-collar, workman styled team. Reckon last few rounds we have looked a bit tired and beaten up. Laird's numbers heavily down, Keays not moving like he was earlier in the season etc. All fell apart tonight in the perfect storm - Port legend retiring in a dead-rubber game with no high-stakes - they were always going to win and win well.

Plenty of positives out of this season. Some great sign from some players. We have a pretty good idea of a few we can get rid and those that have their final chance. Finished on the ladder about where we deserved as well.
Bullshit. Keays was moving fine.. he’s been moving fine all year.. he’s just a garbage footballer. poor skills and a poor decision maker. cant football.

dont make excuses for him.

its time we put a line through his name and promoted a young player. That Taylor lad looks the goods.

Well that was hard to sit through. A coaches box fail with regards to forward entries. We clearly tried to expose Ports lack of height in defence by bombing it in long. Disappointing after our F50 entries had improved in recent weeks.

Some signs that we were not mentally switched on tonight. One was Gray's goal that landed 2ft over the line from 40m that we didn't have anyone back there to at least get a hand on it. Our constant hacking of the ball forward without any composure at all by the majority of players. Soligo is one that definitely isn't guilty of this.

Rowe, Murphy and McHenry......FFS.............Hopefully with Rankine coming and rumours of WB looking at Rowe at least 2 of them are not in our first 22 next year. McHenry has some of the worst skills I've ever seen for an AFL footballer, and to think he was a first round pick, yuck.

Didn't quite get my wish of Fog and TT kicking a bag each. Fog was pretty good when the opportunity arose. That mark and goal with Jonas on his hammer was sublime. TT took some good clunks up the ground.

Not sure we've made a lot of progress this year as a team, but some individuals certainly have. Fog is the obvious one, and Berry is another. Soligo also looks the goods.

Let's hope the coaches etc now have a good look at this team and make some tough calls, especially regarding the players that constantly turn it over, and we make some game plan adjustments to rid this bombing it forward for good. Most teams cut you to bits if you continually bomb it long. Fog and Tex have shown that they can kick plenty of goals if we hit them up on leads.

Congrats to Gray on a great career. He as cut us up many a time but I've always admired his sublime skills.

Let the silly season begin! (it's sad when this is the time of year that you look forwards to the most).

Last edited:
It doesn’t excuse your original statement, Chayce was rated as a first rounder and so was McAsey, taking them where we did wasn’t a reach. Both had attributes that could translate to an elite player at AFL level, but it hasn’t worked out.
As I said, probably rated because the people doing the draft ratings got wind Hamish liked them and would pick them.

Every year the phantom drafts get most first round selections correct.

Good:
Soligo - Already one of our most effective players, wait till he starts getting mid 20+ disposals week in week out, so quick of mind
Berry - Will be an absolute beast for the next decade, really nice goal on the run
Fogarty - Safe to say he's arrived in the second half of the year, always had an elite kick but his marking doesn't get the plaudits it deserves
Murrays mark

Bad:
McHenry & Murphy - I can't understand people who criticise Newchurch for going missing but back these two in because they give effort and pressure, Murphy more effective but we'd lose nothing with a couple rookies from ammos, Rowe too but he doesn't have the fanclub these two have
Keays - Worst game for the club, what was his role tonight?
Dawson - Derm summed him up tonight, a player that needs a few steps to make the most of his elite leg, he'd be great on the wing but its a shame we have so many great kicks hitting up forwards that he has to wallow in defence, a wasted season from our star recruit
Milera - Came into the team because?
Smith - Its pretty clear that he is on his last legs, another crows player who will play on for one season too many
Jones - Hes still to much of a reactive player, loves to wait till his opponent has the ball

Ugly:
pick 9 Jones - 12 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 behind vs pick 12 Butters - 26 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 9 clearances, 1 goal 1 behind

We've got so many players that get games based on their effort, which's great, what they don't have though is footballing ability. The amount of extra work we create for ourselves is ridiculous. Snap kicks around the body to no one, the turnovers under no pressure, the multiple missed tackles etc all lead to the need to have a massive fitness base to clean up the mess. We should move up the ladder a little bit next year, but if its solely on the back of improved fitness whilst still having the the same players continuously making the same skill errors we'll be rebuilding again soon enough.

Last edited:
I beg to differ on the bolded. It was just the sort of game to show up the type of player we don't want in the side.
1 bad game doesn't mean the rebuild is a fail, we have still made progress this year. The Bulldogs, Tigers, Blues and even the first showdown were all great wins. We have definitely had some stinkers, but that is just par for the course with such a young side. We have a long way to go, but I think we are heading in the right direction.

The biggest takeaway from tonight for me is with Port Power. If they played like that all year they would have easily made the finals, and maybe even the top 4. Just shows how much of a wasted season it has been for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review GBU vs Port

Back