Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

After Dangerfield left, it took us, what, 7/8 years to get players of the quality of Dawson and Rankine.
Our high draft picks have been wasted on busts (no need to name them; we all know who they are).
My point is that getting the players you stated above is not an easy or simple process.
It might not take another 7/8 years, but it won't happen quickly.

... and we need other players as depth.

"Make the Finals" ... we need a list (and Coach) that will be strong enough to win a Flag.
Sadly, I think we're a long way from that :sadv1:.

A senior assistant will not be enough. Nicks is set in his ways.
A very experienced senior assistant might have helped back in 2020, but Nicks took on the job with the leftover assistants from the shambles of 2018/19

With what? More money? Essendon-style "treatments"? Another Camp? Ritalin? (sorry, couldn't resist :sneaky:)

Under Nicks, won't happen. Keep in mind, the eye injury kept Sloane out, not Nicks or the Club. Sloane was training/planning to return.

This.

That’s why resigning him was the most stupidest call

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great reply, very fair too.
In most cases, we have clawed back after being way behind (our fault), or already been in the lead late in the quarter and gave up a goal (our fault).
Yes. Our fault, to get into those situations.

We were leading when this (no composure) happened:
Rob had 2 heck ups in our forward line, then Keays ignores all the free players to try a miracle goal which gets smothered and ping pongs straight down the other end for the game winner.
ROB disappoints me, week after week. We get many more clearances from the sharp skills of Dawson/Soligo/Rankine than from ROB who often makes it very hard for them.

Keays <<sigh :rolleyes:>> definitely panicked :grimacing: and went for glory --- it's caused by his FastForward-hurry-hurry mentality.
Someone with a footy brain (ie not Nicks), maybe Dawson, needs to say to him:
"Mate, mate, maaate, there's a time to hurry (under extreme pressure) and there's a time to take a little more time ... maybe do more looking before you get the ball so you know where your mates are?".
In all of our last 4 games against Collingwood, we have had the lead at some point during the last quarter. Twice we were in the lead with <3 minutes to go. Yet we already find ourselves behind when these decisions occur. That's what needs to be looked at inside the club.
This, so much this! :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Planning ahead, anticipating, looking around/awareness, being switched on <== ie COMPOSURE, can be trained into players, especially the younger ones who are keen to learn and do better to cement a place in the seniors.

Absolutely nailed it

The funniest thing I saw with Rory Laird was a few weeks ago when I'm pretty sure it was Dawson running out of the middle. Laird was standing there flat footed with his back to the goal screaming for the ball so Dawson handballs to him and then instantly handballs back to Dawson who keeps running with the ball.

Dawson had metres on his opponent and the one two pass was nothing but a cheap stat pad for Laird. There was absolutely zero reason for Laird to call for the ball because it didn't offer anything and yet he still did it.

He literally runs around amassing cheap stats and doesn't care about anything else, I don't think he has much of a footy IQ.
The amount of times he could put his body in to block an opposition player, but instead leaves his teammate open to be tackled because he's backing off to get a sideways handball receive is really starting to be a problem.

Sure, the guy with the ball had 10m space in front of him to run into, but Laird wants his touches.

Hi is one of the very few who doesn't just hack kick or play it safe by kicking long to a contest. When he has the ball he often looks to go inside through the corridor or can hit up a leading player in the forward 50. He has very good vision with ball in hand.

And yet some gave him silly little nicknames and wanted to say Ciao after a couple of quiet games

Disagree, we still need to kick a goal with 3 minutes left. That was ROB only correct decision, Rachele was in the clear and had to carry the ball further instead of kicking to a 2 on 1 to Walker down the line which ended with them regaining possession.
We were already in front, we didn't actually need to kick a goal yet we played like we needed to hit the front.

R.O.B should have at least gone back and assessed what was inside 50. If there was no one free, kick it in and try to force a stoppage at least. That's how Collingwood win these games, they force stoppage after stoppage and provide little opportunity for the opposition to get a run.

After Dangerfield left, it took us, what, 7/8 years to get players of the quality of Dawson and Rankine.
Our high draft picks have been wasted on busts (no need to name them; we all know who they are).
My point is that getting the players you stated above is not an easy or simple process.
It might not take another 7/8 years, but it won't happen quickly.

... and we need other players as depth.

"Make the Finals" ... we need a list (and Coach) that will be strong enough to win a Flag.
Sadly, I think we're a long way from that :sadv1:.

A senior assistant will not be enough. Nicks is set in his ways.
A very experienced senior assistant might have helped back in 2020, but Nicks took on the job with the leftover assistants from the shambles of 2018/19

With what? More money? Essendon-style "treatments"? Another Camp? Ritalin? (sorry, couldn't resist :sneaky:)

Under Nicks, won't happen. Keep in mind, the eye injury kept Sloane out, not Nicks or the Club. Sloane was training/planning to return.

This.
Well said. I don’t just want finals, that’s pretty meaningless at the end of the day - We’ve got two and a half decades as Crows fans to tell us that.

Give us 5 years as a top four team that is actually contending, give us a flag.

1. I want my team to be a lot better. This is first and foremost.
Me, too; a lot, mate.
As I said, non-VFL Clubs do win Flags.
They do enough, game by game, to get to the GF and win it, in spite of the obstacles that the AFL lays on them as you pointed out below.
2. A long way behind, but still relevant is that I want my team to not continually be screwed over. Screwed over by rule inconsistencies that only apply negatively to us, by the draw, by cooked up father/son and academy rules that the league changes to suit who is coming through in a given year.
The Crows are not the only side that gets screwed over. It happens to all non-Melb. Clubs except when the AFL decides to give failed experiments (eg GCS/GWS/Fremantle) a leg-up.
I admit we have a horror draw this year, but some of that is from other teams getting better than they were last year = tougher opponents. Even WCE which I would have put down as a WIN is looking shaky after their strong win over Melbourne yesterday. Hawthorn were 41 points up on PA until they went super-defensive and $hat the bed.
The AFL definitely favours ex-VFL sides in obvious and subtle ways, so non-Melb. teams have to do more and try harder.
Contentious Ump decisions happen in every game, to every team. I respect your reply, thanks, but "only" is too strong. It's not 'only' us.

So yeah, first thing is the club should control what it can control, but it’s hard not to be jaded after decades of getting ****ed by the league.
The things you mention ARE unfair, but they're beyond our control.
The Crows have to do more, much more, of the things within their control to get another Flag.

We're not 3-6-1 because of the things you mention about which you're jaded, and we can't change them anyway.
We're not 3-6-1
--- because our high potential Coach was murdered (terrible tragedy) in 2015, or
--- because we were slaughtered by the Umps in 2017 GF
--- because of that ridiculous Camp
--- because of the father/son rule
--- because of Academy rules,
but all of those things do add up, pile up and seem overwhelming.
I feel disappointment and frustration, too. Why are the Crows the team that loses the close ones? Why don't the Crows steal a win with the last kick (eg PA yesterday) or get an Ump's decision that prvents the others from pinching the game.

We're 3-6-1 because we've made terrible first-round-pick decisions and have a bad Coach who also makes bad selections/decisions, made worse by bad assistants (except, I think, Hombsch) and an ineffective, deluded administration. We have players who lack the most basic of footy skills and make appalling/decisions under pressure.
The broom that swept out some rubbish after 2019 to start our rebuild missed the corners where Roo and other ex-players and incompetents have hidden for ages to the detriment of the Club.

Another rebuild is absolutely necessary at all levels --- Admin., Coaching, players.
Start again, but ffs --- please, prettyplease --- get a Coach who inspires, has a game plan and does not play favourites.

Me, too; a lot, mate.
As I said, non-VFL Clubs do win Flags.
They do enough, game by game, to get to the GF and win it, in spite of the obstacles that the AFL lays on them as you pointed out below.

The Crows are not the only side that gets screwed over. It happens to all non-Melb. Clubs except when the AFL decides to give failed experiments (eg GCS/GWS/Fremantle) a leg-up.
I admit we have a horror draw this year, but some of that is from other teams getting better than they were last year = tougher opponents. Even WCE which I would have put down as a WIN is looking shaky after their strong win over Melbourne yesterday. Hawthorn were 41 points up on PA until they went super-defensive and $hat the bed.
The AFL definitely favours ex-VFL sides in obvious and subtle ways, so non-Melb. teams have to do more and try harder.
Contentious Ump decisions happen in every game, to every team. I respect your reply, thanks, but "only" is too strong. It's not 'only' us.

The things you mention ARE unfair, but they're beyond our control.
The Crows have to do more, much more, of the things within their control to get another Flag.

We're not 3-6-1 because of the things you mention about which you're jaded, and we can't change them anyway.
We're not 3-6-1
--- because our high potential Coach was murdered (terrible tragedy) in 2015, or
--- because we were slaughtered by the Umps in 2017 GF
--- because of that ridiculous Camp
--- because of the father/son rule
--- because of Academy rules,
but all of those things do add up, pile up and seem overwhelming.
I feel disappointment and frustration, too. Why are the Crows the team that loses the close ones? Why don't the Crows steal a win with the last kick (eg PA yesterday) or get an Ump's decision that prvents the others from pinching the game.

We're 3-6-1 because we've made terrible first-round-pick decisions and have a bad Coach who also makes bad selections/decisions, made worse by bad assistants (except, I think, Hombsch) and an ineffective, deluded administration. We have players who lack the most basic of footy skills and make appalling/decisions under pressure.
The broom that swept out some rubbish after 2019 to start our rebuild missed the corners where Roo and other ex-players and incompetents have hidden for ages to the detriment of the Club.

Another rebuild is absolutely necessary at all levels --- Admin., Coaching, players.
Start again, but ffs --- please, prettyplease --- get a Coach who inspires, has a game plan and does not play favourites.
Don’t disagree with any of the above mate. “Only” was lazy wording on my part, I fully recognise that there are other other teams that AFL House clearly sees as the ugly stepsisters of the competition.

We lost a GF to a contraversal free kick that resulting in the winning goal in 2018. No one had any issue with that.
Correct; I certainly do not care. NO non-Collingwood supporter cares, be assured.
I see the last two games from a different angle, We gave up a 5 goal lead twice against the Crows at the MCG. Last year the Crows kicked 7 goals to none or one in the 3rd quarter to hit the lead at 3/4 time. That's more of a concern to me as pies supporter.
Nor do I care what concerns you "as a Pies supporter".
Take it back to your own Board, sport.
I think Adelaide is a class team.
Says a lot about your footy judgment.
We are not. 3-6-1 is devoid of class, like your post.
The season isn't over, there is a long long way to go.
Ridiculous, patronising bull$hit. Shove it where the sun don't shine. Show yourself out.

Please don't go overboard with the praise, AFC writers.

View attachment 1994981
"Solid", fmd. What a drongo.
I hope he doesn't praise other mids so highly; it might go to their heads :rolleyes: :madv1:.

Rankine was bog, imo, but NDaicos will get the Brownlow votes in spite of low DE.
Rankine was the most influential, high-impact, effective player on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of times he could put his body in to block an opposition player, but instead leaves his teammate open to be tackled because he's backing off to get a sideways handball receive is really starting to be a problem.

Sure, the guy with the ball had 10m space in front of him to run into, but Laird wants his touches.
It's on VB to fix Laird's stat-padding. Stop it, or have fun in the SANFL.

"Solid", fmd. What a drongo.
I hope he doesn't praise other mids so highly; it might go to their heads :rolleyes: :madv1:.

Rankine was bog, imo, but NDaicos will get the Brownlow votes in spite of low DE.
Rankine was the most influential, high-impact, effective player on the ground.
It's not a quote from VB.

Here's what he is quoted as saying, which is much more positive:
"Speaking to Darren (Burgess) we believe it's similar in nature to what he did last year and it will be around about the three-week mark," van Berlo said.

"He's (Rankine) been playing some outstanding footy and (it was) arguably the best game I've seen him play on the weekend, just his ability to win the footy, hit the scoreboard and he's been doing that for weeks on end now for us, so it's going to be a big loss for us in the interim.

"But I guess all we can do is hope that he comes back fresh and ready to go and attack the remainder of the year for us."

It's not a quote from VB.

Here's what he is quoted as saying, which is much more positive:
"Speaking to Darren (Burgess) we believe it's similar in nature to what he did last year and it will be around about the three-week mark," van Berlo said.

"He's (Rankine) been playing some outstanding footy and (it was) arguably the best game I've seen him play on the weekend, just his ability to win the footy, hit the scoreboard and he's been doing that for weeks on end now for us, so it's going to be a big loss for us in the interim.

"But I guess all we can do is hope that he comes back fresh and ready to go and attack the remainder of the year for us."
Thanks for that, my error.

We were already in front, we didn't actually need to kick a goal yet we played like we needed to hit the front.

R.O.B should have at least gone back and assessed what was inside 50. If there was no one free, kick it in and try to force a stoppage at least. That's how Collingwood win these games, they force stoppage after stoppage and provide little opportunity for the opposition to get a run.
We got the ball back off the kick in straight away anyway and then forced a series of stoppages; there still had to be some intent to score from the ROB mark and Rachele running I50 was a decent chance (only just missed).

As I was at the game it's hard to see everything that goes on in the stoppages, but watching the replay back we did about 90% right in the last 7 minutes. However, it's the 10% that hurt us (Keays ignoring easy handball options inside instead of kicking and getting smothered). I will give some credit to Keays for his overall game though as he locked down on Pendlebury after quarter time and that helped us get back into the game, but unfortunately a lapse in composure killed us late.

I am as frustrated as anyone with our record in close games over the last 1.5 seasons, but we structured up a lot better in those final stages than we did last season and I do think the tide will turn eventually with these results. Things that looked better was our hunting with numbers whenever Collingwood got the ball, holding the ball in if tackled and not letting it loose (been better all season actually) and chipping around to waste some time off the clock (ROB actually did this the previous mark he took moments earlier, but then Nankervis rushed it down the line to an outnumber in the air).

Collingwood's only clean play in that last 7 minutes is the De Goey goal off a D50 smother that could've bounced absolutely anywhere, but even after that came with a bit of luck when Crisp slipped over just as Dawson was about to catch him, which allowed him to get the ball to Daicos as Dawson falls over him (luck does play a small part in these close games, regardless of what anyone says). If Crisp doesn't slip over, they don't get that ball to De Goey and at best would've been a rushed kick I50 which we had defended well all game.

The close losses this year have been to GC in shit conditions (nearly stole it late from nowhere like Port did yesterday, but had no right to win), Essendon (had no right to win, but should have if a regulation HTB is paid) and now Collingwood. The close win Carlton had plenty of luck, but as I said you always need luck in these close results. Draw against Brisbane was frustrating, but at least did well to recover from a shit position with 7 minutes to go.

Our next really big test against a top 4 team is Sydney in a month at AO, which like last year will probably be a close contest. IF we can bank some wins over the next 3 and then beat Sydney in a close one, the season is alive. Lose any of the next 3 and against Sydney, season is dead. Will know plenty about our fate as a team by the bye, I just hope it doesn't take a couple more losses before the bye to see guys like Curtin, Ryan, Taylor and Dowling after the bye though. Back them in NOW!

Cook is improving week on week as well.

Funny that
someone who is more of an outside player is going to take longer to adjust to afl from sanfl than an inside player.
Yet we give him 1 game last year (where he was fine) and then we drop him, absolutely deplorable management.

We got the ball back off the kick in straight away anyway and then forced a series of stoppages; there still had to be some intent to score from the ROB mark and Rachele running I50 was a decent chance (only just missed).

As I was at the game it's hard to see everything that goes on in the stoppages, but watching the replay back we did about 90% right in the last 7 minutes. However, it's the 10% that hurt us (Keays ignoring easy handball options inside instead of kicking and getting smothered). I will give some credit to Keays for his overall game though as he locked down on Pendlebury after quarter time and that helped us get back into the game, but unfortunately a lapse in composure killed us late.

I am as frustrated as anyone with our record in close games over the last 1.5 seasons, but we structured up a lot better in those final stages than we did last season and I do think the tide will turn eventually with these results. Things that looked better was our hunting with numbers whenever Collingwood got the ball, holding the ball in if tackled and not letting it loose (been better all season actually) and chipping around to waste some time off the clock (ROB actually did this the previous mark he took moments earlier, but then Nankervis rushed it down the line to an outnumber in the air).

Collingwood's only clean play in that last 7 minutes is the De Goey goal off a D50 smother that could've bounced absolutely anywhere, but even after that came with a bit of luck when Crisp slipped over just as Dawson was about to catch him, which allowed him to get the ball to Daicos as Dawson falls over him (luck does play a small part in these close games, regardless of what anyone says). If Crisp doesn't slip over, they don't get that ball to De Goey and at best would've been a rushed kick I50 which we had defended well all game.

The close losses this year have been to GC in s**t conditions (nearly stole it late from nowhere like Port did yesterday, but had no right to win), Essendon (had no right to win, but should have if a regulation HTB is paid) and now Collingwood. The close win Carlton had plenty of luck, but as I said you always need luck in these close results. Draw against Brisbane was frustrating, but at least did well to recover from a s**t position with 7 minutes to go.

Our next really big test against a top 4 team is Sydney in a month at AO, which like last year will probably be a close contest. IF we can bank some wins over the next 3 and then beat Sydney in a close one, the season is alive. Lose any of the next 3 and against Sydney, season is dead. Will know plenty about our fate as a team by the bye, I just hope it doesn't take a couple more losses before the bye to see guys like Curtin, Ryan, Taylor and Dowling after the bye though. Back them in NOW!
Pendles had 19 possessions for the last 3 quarters, including 9 in the third. His season average is 21 which includes the boost from playing us. Keays reduced him from being on world record pace for possessions to still basically achieving his season average in 3 quarters, not a great lockdown job at all.

Rachele was free and in plenty of space.

Well said. I don’t just want finals, that’s pretty meaningless at the end of the day - We’ve got two and a half decades as Crows fans to tell us that.

Give us 5 years as a top four team that is actually contending, give us a flag.
This 100%.

A lot of fans seem to be happy to just win some games, make finals, but not actually being true contenders. You see it when so many people want us to win a meaningless game even if it costs us a worse draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back