Geelong – most loved to most disliked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premierships aren't won in August. Please keep touching yourselves. Sydney and Hawthorn for mine.

I honestly don't know why... Geelong were my second favourite team. But the upright arrogance of the supporters and the football club has made me hate them so much. I respect their achievements, they are a super football team and have been for a long time. But to say that they are the optimum in terms of football and sportsmanship makes me want to spew up. Geelong isn't perfect, no team is. I f#cking hate the disrespect many get served by Geelong, the club and their fans. Of course, it's many a minority, every supporters have them.... But if it was everyone equal, than why am I noticing one particular team more?? It's interesting because I respect Hawthorn so much more, and like them much more, yet was at the ground when we got done by them in a grand final. Geelong on the other hand....

Are Geelong supporters really that arrogant? They seem like a pretty modest bunch to me.

Are Geelong supporters really that arrogant? They seem like a pretty modest bunch to me.
Good and bad in every club mate, but I know a few cat fans that are intolerable, and the bad experiences at the footy, cats and bomber games! The worst, when we beat you by 31 points in 2012. A couple of old blue rinse grannies being total turds quite frankly. Worse than the 25 min mark of the GF the year before!

But from posting here, there certainly are some decent ones, and also some feral magpie fans!

I guess it's called human nature, cheers

I honestly don't know why... Geelong were my second favourite team. But the upright arrogance of the supporters and the football club has made me hate them so much. I respect their achievements, they are a super football team and have been for a long time. But to say that they are the optimum in terms of football and sportsmanship makes me want to spew up. Geelong isn't perfect, no team is. I f#cking hate the disrespect many get served by Geelong, the club and their fans. Of course, it's many a minority, every supporters have them.... But if it was everyone equal, than why am I noticing one particular team more?? It's interesting because I respect Hawthorn so much more, and like them much more, yet was at the ground when we got done by them in a grand final. Geelong on the other hand....

It's all subjective and based on experience. The behaviour I've witnessed from Freo and their fans online, at matches and elsewhere has generally been very ordinary. Special mention to the 4 blokes at the 2012 final sitting near me who courageously unleashed a tirade of abuse onto a Cats-supporting elderly woman and struck the fear of God into her, as well as the repeated abuse they directed at my girlfriend. I'm normally a very chilled bloke, but have never, ever been as close to clocking someone as I was that night. I understand that there are some good eggs in your basket, but this has been massively overshadowed by experiences such as that (and several others).

Hawks are a mixed bag, Pies supporters don't deserve the negative reputation they often receive and are actually quite knowledgeable about most things footy, ditto Carlton and (until the recent supplements scandal) Essendon, Eagles are mainly clueless, North are reasonable other than on BigFooty, the rest are fine IMO, you get the picture. You can't conclusively say that "x club and their supporters are arrogant and unsportsmanlike", "x club isn't", as we all have different experiences with them that can be coloured by things such as rivalries and hatred.

Falling for the hue and cry old thing. And why on earth would you bother 'hating' Geelong's disrespect. Who gives a toss bag. Just worry about your own club.
ps you will no doubt get to hate Hawks too, don't worry.;)

It's not their fault that they have gotten some fortunate free kicks, and besides Jelwood none of them really play for free kicks. I respect Geelong for their longevity and bouncing back from the 2010 Prelim when we all thought they were finished when gazaroonie left.

Yeah it's pretty much confirmation bias, and in your head.

Forget the ladder position for a minute. Your coming off a close win to Carlton. A top 2 side shouldn't have get out of jail wins like that.
You mean the same Carlton who nearly beat Fremantle? The Blues are playing well and are one of the form sides of the comp at the moment. The competition is very close, and the gulf between top 4 and the rest isn't as great as we have seen in seasons past. I agree we have been lucky in the last two weeks with wins we probably shouldn't have got. But it's hardly our fault that Mundy couldn't kick straight, or the umpies paid a dumb free kick to Bundy and gave us the match. That's not a sound reason to be down on us. FWIW, I don;t think we'll make the GF this year, I think a couple of other teams are playing better than the Cats and good luck to them. But I'm proud that my club will probably end up with 17 wins after everyone wrote us off big time.

Good and bad in every club mate, but I know a few cat fans that are intolerable, and the bad experiences at the footy, cats and bomber games! The worst, when we beat you by 31 points in 2012. A couple of old blue rinse grannies being total turds quite frankly. Worse than the 25 min mark of the GF the year before!

But from posting here, there certainly are some decent ones, and also some feral magpie fans!

I guess it's called human nature, cheers

You got upset by Grannies? Really?

Did one granny look like this ?
upload_2014-8-18_11-17-25.jpeg

I hear she's mad about her pussies

You got upset by Grannies? Really?
Before the game when we sat down, they started going on about Collingwood Ferals and having to sit with us, I guess we upset their cucumber sandwiches. Then they sit there the entire game, getting your ear with , oh that clokes hopeless, oh ridiculous free, and their idiot stupid laughs and carrying on, and you can't escape to another seat, it really pisses you off. I paid for my ticket too. I should be allowed to enjoy the win. Thankfully I upgraded to a reserved seat, and I no longer have to put up with it. Unless someone gives there seats away! There was also the mongrels who wouldn't let us out of the row at the end of the 2011 gf, so a stomped their feet with my snow boots! There are the cat fans I know that I never knew before a few years ago even followed footy!

And then there is you guys, and your arrogance on here, it's just mind blowing. Yes there are supporters like that in every team, but the bad in yours on here, far out number the good. Even Essendon fans defending Hird are not as snakey.

That's my opinion, right or wrong, that's the impression I get from conversations on here, you guys reckon hawks fans have it in for you, mate, I see it the other way around. And I don't want the hawks to win, my sister is a hawks bandwagonners, and I don't want her to have another win. But I'd rather that than a cats one. Shit I'd rather see Sydneeee or Carlton win! Yep even hirds team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the game when we sat down, they started going on about Collingwood Ferals and having to sit with us, I guess we upset their cucumber sandwiches. Then they sit there the entire game, getting your ear with , oh that clokes hopeless, oh ridiculous free, and their idiot stupid laughs and carrying on, and you can't escape to another seat, it really pisses you off. I paid for my ticket too. I should be allowed to enjoy the win. Thankfully I upgraded to a reserved seat, and I no longer have to put up with it. Unless someone gives there seats away! There was also the mongrels who wouldn't let us out of the row at the end of the 2011 gf, so a stomped their feet with my snow boots! There are the cat fans I know that I never knew before a few years ago even followed footy!

And then there is you guys, and your arrogance on here, it's just mind blowing. Yes there are supporters like that in every team, but the bad in yours on here, far out number the good. Even Essendon fans defending Hird are not as snakey.

That's my opinion, right or wrong, that's the impression I get from conversations on here, you guys reckon hawks fans have it in for you, mate, I see it the other way around. And I don't want the hawks to win, my sister is a hawks bandwagonners, and I don't want her to have another win. But I'd rather that than a cats one. Shit I'd rather see Sydneeee or Carlton win! Yep even hirds team!

OK then.

People want to see the underdog cause the upset. Now that Geelong have dominated people have moved on. I wouldn't call it hate thought lest not from me.

Haha you cannot be cereal.
We have, no doubt, all had experiences with dopey supporters but I don't let it put me off all supporters of that club. We can all relate anecdotes-what about the time 2 big Pies blokes threatened to punch my 16 year old daughter who had dared to clap a goal. Or the hawk supporter who grabbed my brother's jumper and started to rough him up-again for nothing. Or the Bomber fan who followed me out of the ground chanting in my ear. I don't think all pies and hawks supporters are gooses-I just think those people were. I have had a lot of good experiences with fans from those clubs, and from all the others. I have seen plenty of dopey Geelong fans to but don't then assume all, or most Cats fans are idiots. I have found that by and large, supporters from all clubs are pretty good, and that there are far more good ones that bad ones.
Get some perspective for crying out loud.

Well that's a very simplistic view of a supporter group.

2006 when geelong played Collingwood (and thrashed us 100+ points) we copped abuse all night from a woman with her kids next to us, and three drunken yobbos behind us.

However I didn't go along with the common perception of 'collingwood feral' fans like many believe. I simply acknowledged that it was a minority, like every club has.

This minority belief was confirmed in 2011 when I went to another Gee vs Coll match on my own, I was sitting completely surrounded by collingwood fans, and they were the most pleasant people to sit with, even had conversations with some of them.

Late 2010 and many Collingwood fans were arrogant, and why wouldn't they be, they had just become premiers, do I think the 70K+ members as a whole are arrogant, or ferals, or stupid, or toothless, or unemployed...

Which are a lot of the magpies stereotypes, do I believe them?.... no I don't.

I've had plenty of experiences which confirm that not to be the case with all your fans.

What does this have to do with what you said.

Well not all if us cats fans are 'snakey' or arrogant, I would argue that they are also in the minority as well. Many of us are quite humble and pleasant.

Last edited:
Well I am coco pops, not real cereal but still

And I actually said what you both said, good and bad from every club. Every sport, every race. Basically bandwagonners shit me, especially the ones that jumped off my clubs wagon at 3/4 time Saturday night. I find them the most vocal and annoying.

Special mention to supporters slagging off their own players, wether winning or losing, couple of those near my away seat, drives me nuts.

Reading the goal celebration thread, a lot of cats supporters I totally agree with. So there you have it, cheers.

Last edited:
It's all subjective and based on experience. The behaviour I've witnessed from Freo and their fans online, at matches and elsewhere has generally been very ordinary. Special mention to the 4 blokes at the 2012 final sitting near me who courageously unleashed a tirade of abuse onto a Cats-supporting elderly woman and struck the fear of God into her, as well as the repeated abuse they directed at my girlfriend. I'm normally a very chilled bloke, but have never, ever been as close to clocking someone as I was that night. I understand that there are some good eggs in your basket, but this has been massively overshadowed by experiences such as that (and several others).

Hawks are a mixed bag, Pies supporters don't deserve the negative reputation they often receive and are actually quite knowledgeable about most things footy, ditto Carlton and (until the recent supplements scandal) Essendon, Eagles are mainly clueless, North are reasonable other than on BigFooty, the rest are fine IMO, you get the picture. You can't conclusively say that "x club and their supporters are arrogant and unsportsmanlike", "x club isn't", as we all have different experiences with them that can be coloured by things such as rivalries and hatred.

Fair post, I guess it makes sense that the less you have to do with certain clubs supporters the less you tend to care or categorize them. It's just one of those things that my experiences with cat fans (like yours with freo) has been extremely ordinary, hence shaping a point of view on them.

Fair post, I guess it makes sense that the less you have to do with certain clubs supporters the less you tend to care or categorize them. It's just one of those things that my experiences with cat fans (like yours with freo) has been extremely ordinary, hence shaping a point of view on them.

Rivalries tend to bring out the worst in all clubs' supporters. Can't say I don't notice a rise in poor behaviour from my fellow Cat fans when we play sides such as Freo and Hawthorn, as opposed to clubs we have little history with (e.g. Adelaide, Melbourne, Richmond, you get the picture). It's the same story with Freo fans and West Coast/ourselves.

Perhaps you were correct about the time of the incident, however since I have not seen it nor heard any Cat fan "trot" about it in nearly twenty years it seems more important to your view of the world than it does to we Geelong fans.
Well, even though it's been seventeen years and for some inexplicable and unrelated reason the hype has died down, I have heard it, and had a good laugh each time. You've forgotten the pain - maybe you're just not a hardcore fan...

But the upright arrogance of the supporters and the football club has made me hate them so much.
Ok, I understand you dislike arrogant Cats' supporters. But what is "the upright arrogance of the football club"?

Chris Scott is the complete opposite of arrogant - you would never hear him get carried away about Geelong's chances and he is always full of positivity about opposition clubs. Apart from questioning the merits of the equalization tax I haven't heard Colin Carter say too much that would be classified as arrogant, and same applies to the players.

Of course you are entitled to hate a club, but at least admit it's just pure hatred rather than come up with some half baked reason.

I don't thing Geelong as a club is arrogant, but any club that plays finals 8 years in a row and wins 3 premierships is entitled to be a little arrogant. Fremantle may experience it one day.

Well, even though it's been seventeen years and for some inexplicable and unrelated reason the hype has died down, I have heard it, and had a good laugh each time. You've forgotten the pain - maybe you're just not a hardcore fan...
It gets mentioned once in a blue moon and doubt anyone other than you gives a toss bag anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back